I hear a lot about the Vypyr's and how good of an amp they are. I need a new amp, so I was looking into the 30watt model. The description on it says it's a "modeling amp." Isn't that exactly what a Spider is? I hear how bad Spider's are, that they don't let your guitar's tone shine through. Are Vypyr's like Spider's? Should I get the Vypyr?
It's unfortunate that the Vypyr is in the same category as the Spider 3.
The Processor in the Vypyr only deals with the Effects, while in the Spider 3 the processor has to handle the effects and the amp models.
Better Processor in the Vypyr.
All the distortion is done in analog in the Vypyr.

Vypyr wins
I played a Vypyr at a music store while trying out numerous guitars for a friend, cause it has a 6505 setting, it didnt sound bad, but its not a 6505...lol... But it very much beat a spyder... I have a Vox Ad15VT and my ex lead singer who also plays guitar has a Line 6 Spyder III. And ive fooled around on it ... I hate the sounds that it produces compared to vox, so does the bass player, but my drummer claims he cant hear different tones... the vox is Hybrid (tube/digital) and so is the Vypyr. So i agree with Megadethfan. Vypyr wins.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Vypyr. Analog distortion with transtube, which is a (very good) tube simulation. 2 processors, one for each set of effects (stompbox and rack). Plus, it sounds damned good.

So, Vypyr wins.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've got a 30w Vypyr, and (due to a weird story that's kinda funny), my friend unintentionally walked out of the music store with a Line 6 Spider III 15w instead of a Vypyr 15w...
We went back to my place and played for a while... The Vypyr, within 30 minutes of owning it, was making some glorius John Mayer style tones from my HSS strat... The Line6 was... not... It basically has one clean channel, and three distortion sounds, with varying degrees of distortion. I'm biased becaues I play clean, but the Line 6 just seemed... childish....

I kept wanting to hear good tones out of the Line, but it's so limited in what it can produce without crazy distortion. . You have to be on the clean channel, and you can only play around with that one specific base.... The Vypyr is just SO veritile, the effects and stompboxes sound pretty good, and the amp can be made to sound so warm....

No idea why you'd go with a Spider III 15 over a Vypyr.
Last edited by JustinHorne at Dec 30, 2008,
I have the vypyr 30w and love it, I actually liked it more than anything else in the price range.
Quote by Pac_man0123
They are also ridiculously loud.

Indeed...3 (out of 13) on the amp, guitar on 5 is good enough for the whole house.
Quote by Pac_man0123
They are also ridiculously loud.

My 75 never goes past 3. that's enough to get over my wimp of a drummer.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.