Work it out yourself and find out.

To sound like your idols it's not good enough with knowing what scale they use, but knowing how they use it. You only get that from stealing.
Yeah, but how can I know how to use the scale, if I don't know the scale being used ...
Quote by JakdOnCrack
PROTIP: Knowing the scale won't help you play like him. Knowing his phrasing and techniques will.

Don't you mean, "Knowing scales won't help AS MUCH as knowing his phrasing and techniques" ?

Cause knowing scales helps ... a little :P
That is played in the G minor Pentatonic scale, the original recording is in A minor pent., though if I remember correctly. Fantastic track anyway and I think this is my favourite version of it
Quote by DGen92
Don't you mean, "Knowing scales won't help AS MUCH as knowing his phrasing and techniques" ?

Cause knowing scales helps ... a little :P

Knowing scales is important, but it hardly has anything to do with emulating other guitarists, especially when in contemporary rock you barely ever hear anything besides minor pent or aeolian.
Quote by CowboyUp
Knowing scales is important, but it hardly has anything to do with emulating other guitarists, especially when in contemporary rock you barely ever hear anything besides minor pent or aeolian.

Just say minor man, you dont need to show off and say aeolian.

He uses the blues scale a lot

1 2 b3 4 #4 5 b7

But the thing to remember about blues guitarists is that they almost never stay strictly in the scale theyre using. I hear tons of major thirds, raised 7ths, minor 6ths, etc etc.

The point being (as has been stated) that knowing the scale is not as important as knowing the lick. At least not at this point in your playing
Quote by CowboyUp

I agree that phrasing is very important, but scale choice helps a lot. If I'm trying to write a song that sounds like Yngwie, using the harmonic minor definitely gets me off to a solid start.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by yingyangthang
Just say minor man, you dont need to show off and say aeolian.

K.
Gm pentatonic is the baseline for the solo he's playing, if you want to play the G blues scale that will work too.

Having said that...he uses note from other scales though. He's filling in with a lot of notes that are taken from the various modes that can be played over that Gm progression.

Here:

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/bb_king/rock_me_baby.htm

There's a backing track for the song in Gm. Rock out with it.

Scales are awesome for learning where to start, but the phrasing will make you SOUND like him. But don't worry about that too much. Just work on making a solo that sounds like something new. Play that track a little softer and just solo over it until you hit a groove. You'll get there.
Last edited by Gizzmo0411 at Dec 31, 2008,