Page 1 of 2
If I have to play something in front of someone I mess up and end up sounding like ****, Mostly on faster Phrases though. I sound perfect when I play alone, Because Im just doing it for fun, but If Im trying to impress some people I get nervous and mess up.
I can play fine with my friends, but I suck when theres people I don't know too well. I even mess up alot when Trying to record myself, because theres a bit of added pressure to get it in one go, and that also makes me mess up. I guess Ive just got problems.

Does anyone else get these problems?
Then don't try to impress them, just play
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Fender Standard Telecaster HH Black (SH-5/'59)
-Fender Standard Stratocaster HH White (Nazgul/'59)
-Austin Guitars Les Paul Goldtop Copy (Distortion/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Peavey Stereo Chorus 2x12 Combo
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
I'm at my worst playing in a guitar store. In front of people elsewhere it's not so bad, I guess im just too used to my own guitar.
I do.

I've never played a proper gig, but I'm afraid that no matter how much time I spend practicing the song, I'll mess up onstage.

EDIT: I actually play better in guitar stores than I do at home sometimes, probably because the guitars in stores are set up better than my own...
yeah.. but the more you play in front of people, the easier it becomes.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Just get good by yourself, start to play in front of your family, then your friends, then outside in a public place for your friends and then try busking or something. After a few tries playing in front of people, you'll get much more comfortable doing it.

There are probably very few people who don't have to get used to playing in front of others. You just have to do it until you became comfortable with it. Then, the nervousness just goes away.
Ya i know what you mean.

Like if im jamming with the band, theres always a little nervousness, cause im trying to come up with something new and interesting to add to our song.
Quote by will123456789
yeah.. but the more you play in front of people, the easier it becomes.

I still get pretty nervous in the moment and I've played about 15 shows.

Threadstarter just try not to concentrate on playing too well, just have fun. If you have fun you'll play well.
Dude I can't keep down a job, I can't woo women, I suck at even basic algebra, but music is the one thing that I'm naturally great at. I really don't get nervous, no matter how big the crowd is. Even my first time singing live, I just did it.

It's just too bad some ability didn't leak into other, more useful things in life heh.
We're only strays.
Yep, I can play fine but when just one person walks into the same room as me my playing goes all crappy
"F*ck the guitar solos!!" - Olli Vänskä

Quote by Capt_Clarkson
I dont know whats worse, you going out with a peadophile, or the fact you went to see Dragonforce
Err... DragonForce?

Happily married to SuperKoolKid
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Dude I can't keep down a job, I can't woo women, I suck at even basic algebra, but music is the one thing that I'm naturally great at. I really don't get nervous, no matter how big the crowd is. Even my first time singing live, I just did it.

It's just too bad some ability didn't leak into other, more useful things in life heh.

even in this kind of crowd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8WP7aOD_9Q&feature=channel_page
Quote by Life Is Brutal
If I have to play something in front of someone I mess up and end up sounding like ****, Mostly on faster Phrases though. I sound perfect when I play alone, Because Im just doing it for fun, but If Im trying to impress some people I get nervous and mess up.
I can play fine with my friends, but I suck when theres people I don't know too well. I even mess up alot when Trying to record myself, because theres a bit of added pressure to get it in one go, and that also makes me mess up. I guess Ive just got problems.

Does anyone else get these problems?

Lol im the same exact way. I dont plan on becoming a musician though, I purely play guitar for fun..so Its not a big deal for me.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
After about my 3rd show, and 5th solo guitar performance on top of that, I don't get nervous at all anymore.

Just keep playing, and make sure you know the set-list incredibly well.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
It happens. I can sing and strum chords well when I'm alone. As soon as someone is around, my voice gets all shaky and I screw up. But just keep doing it. Eventually, you'll get used to it. Start in front of friends and family, since they'll clown you if you screw up in good faith

I've only been playing in fron of people for about a month now, and I can see an improvement.
-Custom Epiphone LP
-Gretsch G5129 Electromatic
-Fender DG8S Acoustic
-Fender Blues Jr. NOS amp
-Boss FBM-1, CS-3, NS-2, DD-7, RC-2 Pedals
Actually, if I play in front of 1 or two ppl I **** up alot. More than that, I'm fine.
"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people.. Otherwise, there would be no religious people."
Yup. I get nervous as hell when i have to perform in front of a crowd. I shake like crazy when giving speeches and presentations in class.
Way i used to deal w/ it is by either drinking or getting high before hand which doesnt help, nowadays i wear a viel of some kind. sort of stupid but sort of a way to think that by doing that they cant see me, got the idea from driving school oddly.
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
I play house parties and bar gigs occasionally and I get this feeling of nervousness and excitment at the same time. It just gives me a rush, but it doesn't effect my playing in a bad way, usually I put more emotion into it.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
I find in the moment just before going on stage I get incredibly nervous but once I have microphone in hand and open my mouth I fine. I feel at home on stage I wouldnt worry about getting nervous on stage its only natural and you get used to it after a while.
I used to, but after playing in front of people, especially ones who don't play guitar, I found 99% of the time no one notices/cares if you mess up every now and then. Sometimes i'll have a little anxiety, but I normally just take a deep breath and go play. I'll notice mistakes more than anyone else just because I know how well I could a certain song, but most other people wont notice.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
I used to get nervous, but after I started plaing for a bit in front of people it git easier and now i usually dont have a problem.

But sometimes Ill start playing faster than the rest of the band, I still dont understand why I do that, ahaha.
love is love // return to dust
Quote by boreamor
I felt natural on a stage... But in front of a small group I get nervous =/

this is how it is for me. for my guitar recital (on stage) a couple years back I was fine, but for some reason I got pretty nervous playing in front of a group of relatives that had never heard me play before.
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
I only get nervous when it's a solo or when I'm playing something extremely hard.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
i have a similar problem. i play a song perfect in practice but something always goes wrong when i preform or try to record. i blank out, miss notes, drop my pick, etc
Is your name Mike? Do you want to be everyone's friend? Do you look similar to lots of other people? If so click here

Quote by LesPaulLeader08

Fucking win S&R!
i tend to play fine in front of people who DON'T play guitar...just yesterday i was playing in front of my friend and his cousin and i was doing fine, but when i go to guitar center i always feel so pathetic compared to the people there because every mother****er who works there can shred like a madman
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
I get really nervous and start shaking, but I played Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp in front of about 200 people and it ended up not so bad. I'd say it's easier playing with a band.
holy crap this thread comes up five times a week
Quote by archangels666
Find me someone who doesn't do that and I'll show you a man humping a hippopotamus.

Quote by Vigilantius
High chairs are for little girls. My kids eat gravel off of bare concrete.

Nope, never. I don't comb my hair for anyone. I don't get dressed up for anyone. I pretty much have a "**** you" attitude. Sometimes people like that about me, others don't. Whatever. I don't care.
This thread is a couple of years old. But I thought I'd comment anyway.
Playing guitar in front of people is a huge issue for me.
You'd think that by the time you get into your 40's and having played since I was about 10 this issue would have passed on by now. I only play for personal enjoyment & relaxation. Never really had an interest in playing professionally as such. But I do love my guitar and play a lot. However, there is something that makes me feel incredibly self concious - as though I am being judged when I play in front of people. It's personal anxiety, but, it's particularly an issue when it comes to guitar. I really wish I could just get over that and relax - have fun. It helps to know that other people feel the same way - best of luck to any of you suffering from this. I hope the previous posters have overcome this issue since the posts.
Although this thread is old it popped up at Google. Maybe this reply will help people who find it difficult to play in front of people. There are several things that may also be helpful in general.

- Being relaxed is important. Is it convenient to play? Are you not annoyed by noise or chatting? May other people be annoyed with you? Do you actually feel like playing?

- To me acoustics is a very important factor. I always first test how the guitar sounds, and if I am not 100% satisfied in regard to my intentions I don't play. If the environment isn't right I don't get the proper 'feed back' from the guitar and the music, which makes it next to impossible to play anything seriously. For that matter I have only a few spots in the house where I practice (the acoustic guitar that is, for my electrics I have my pod2 with tweaked settings). In public, if the mood is right I may just fiddle a bit, tune, practice some basic things. I ignore what happens around me. People like to listen to this too. That's fine to me. After all that's the effect you want to achieve, isn't it?

- The previous point brings me to this: do not try to play 'the best you can'. You can't. Period.

Why don't you test this: bring your guitar to a party with a lot of noise, strangers, anything that makes you want to do anything but play guitar. Now play some very simple things and play them lousy. Play them seriously, but lousy. Although there is a limit to your skills at your top there is also a limit at your bottom (no pun intended). You can't play worse than the worst you are, which is already fine if you know that you can play some guitar.

It may also be a good way to discover that quite some people are not really interested in what you play or how good it is. Most people don't hear that anyway. They just like the sound of the guitar, the atmosphere it brings. Many people hardly touched a guitar ever, so you're basically in the land of the blind. I play a lot of silly improvisations far from the quality I achieve in private. Don't ask me how many times people recognize songs I never heard of, or just start to sing along. If I do know the song it is rather easy to switch to it. Prepare for people singing out of tune and missing the actual song schemes.

Sometimes people just start to dance which is really a boost in atmosphere. It's like drums without the sound of drums.

- About recording: record everything. Start recording before you even grab the guitar, stop it when you know you won't play anymore. Do this every time and everywhere you play the guitar. You'll get used to it very soon and at parties (of course if it is not offensive to record audio, ask everybody for permission first) it adds to the atmosphere. You show you're serious about playing. Be humble.

Long ago I was very lucky to be invited to a day of studio recording by some of the best guitarists in the world. In the breaks these people asked me how things sounded. They shared their concerns. That day taught me a lot. Being a professional musician is hard work while being nervous and making errors as if you're an absolute beginner. Honesty and atmosphere are as important as good equipment and material.

Many professional musicians record entire sessions and keep notes. Do that too if you're serious. From many days of recordings relatively only a very few songs emerge. Those songs are shaped by many hours of work. Songs are played over and over again until the musicians can dream them. Do not expect to play a song well enough with just some rehearsals.

Do not throw away recordings but archive them. HD space is cheap these days.

Apart from the main session recordings you should additionally play with multi-track recording every now and then. Play some simple chord progressions on the first track. Don't bother about errors and timing, just play on (remember that 'lousy' tip?). Then playback this track and improvise a second track over it. Add a third and even a fourth track in the same way. Have a 15 minute break and then play it back as if you're listening to somebody else. What do you hear? What would you really improve? Listen to it again a week later. You may discover things you want to focus on.

Improving your lower skills is more important than improving your top skills. In fact, improvement works bottom-up. Try to learn as much as you can. Be sure you catch as many basics as possible and put time and effort in them as if you're an absolute novice. Force yourself into learning other music genres.

Anyway, I hope this all helps. Good luck and have fun.
Last edited by DutchGuitarmani at Aug 14, 2011,
Only before shows.

The most I get is a quick buzz before I go on stage, and then the adrenaline kicks in which feels awesome and flushes out all, if any nerves I might have had.
I don't get nervous a lot in front of a audience but when playing in front of friends and family i get nervous.
Page 1 of 2