I have an old peavey classic 4 x 10 amp, and it sounds really good with the preamp volume at 4 and the master full, but it isnt quite loud enough. Any higher on the preamp and it sounds like crap. the volume level on 4 is just under the volume level i really need, so heres my question. Since it has an open back, would I be better off closing it off to gain more volume? Ive read that open backs are louder, but for an audience would they be able to hear it louder if it is closed because more sound is projected towards them?

I have a really big gig in a month and I would really like to figure out how to fix this because i dont want to have to use my 75 watt spider. I do not have enough money for a new amp yet because of college.
Closing the back increases the directionality of the sound, but it will also have a big effect on your tone.
If you really need more volume, look into an equalizer pedal such as the MXR M-108. This pedal in particular can boost/cut 12 dB of volume and gain (which is essentially volume again when the pedal is in the effects loop) I don't think making the amp open/closed back will make nearly as much difference as the pedal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
No an EQ in the loop can boost overall volume very easily. Your not going to get this huge jump in volume closing the back of the cab.
Quote by Tackleberry
No an EQ in the loop can boost overall volume very easily. Your not going to get this huge jump in volume closing the back of the cab.

+1. My EQ doesn't distort my sound at all.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
ok thanks. i was just wondering if this was a possiblity. Ive had my eyes set on the bbe boosta grande which adds up to 20 db of clean gain, so i think ill try that out
1 of those fish and chips EQs is really cheap if want to try this trick. I set the EQ flat and use the gain slider to boost the volume.