I am sending one of my guitars to a relative and when I asked the woman at the post office about it, she told me that if the guitar is in a hard case, they can ship it just as it is. I have packed the hell out of the case and the insides are insulated with packing quite well. (The guitar is not moving or shifting inside the case)

My only issue is I'm worried the guitar could possibly be damaged in shipping. Although most guitar f.a.q.s that I have read suggest a 20 x 8 x 50 shipping box, I fail to see how one would benefit considering that the guitar is already in a protective shell designed for such traveling any way. In short, I really don't see the point in obtaining that specific of a box (and they are a royal pain to find btw) when the hard case should be enough protection already.

Has anyone here ever sent a guitar through the mail in just it's case? And if so, did it arrive safely?
I needs to be shipped in an ATA approved flight case. Or you need to put the case you have in a box and pack it in very very well.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
MMmmmmmm i live in the UK and bought a guitar from Canada.
It was shipped in just a standard hardcase and was fine.
Its what they're designed for.
Can you describe the padding that was inside the case? Was it bubble wrap, newspaper etc etc?

(Thank you for your help btw)
my guitar made it to Russia and back with me in just it's case(from Florida) without a scratch

i wouldn't wory
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by REMfan1
MMmmmmmm i live in the UK and bought a guitar from Canada.
It was shipped in just a standard hardcase and was fine.
Its what they're designed for.

no it isn't. Flight cases are designed for that, if standard hard cases where enough they wouldn't have to make flight cases. I've seen multiple guitars get damaged from being shipped/moved in hard cases.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
no it isn't. Flight cases are designed for that, if standard hard cases where enough they wouldn't have to make flight cases.

Well in my experience they are enough

There was no extra padding or anything, just a case and a guitar.
Quote by REMfan1
Well in my experience they are enough

There was no extra padding or anything, just a case and a guitar.

Yeah sometimes they are enough, but sometimes they aren't it's not a worthwhile gamble IMO.

Last.fm
I personally wouldn't take the risk.
Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.
I dunno about if my guitar case could, but I toured Europe with my trombone in just its case, and it came home just fine. So yes, I do believe the guitar should be fine.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
I once flew from france to Ireland with my guitar in just a gig bag stuffed wth loads of clothes, despite ryanair's greatest efforts it arrived at its destination in one piece!
BROCCOLIS
I ated them all.
I've never seen a guitar get damaged like that and I've bought several off of the internet. If you're really worried just pack it tight with newspaper/bubblewrap with no wiggle room and you'll be fine. tape the seams though.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
Oh, and don't forget to losen the strings a bit.
Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.
Quote by Surak
Oh, and don't forget to losen the strings a bit.

Detune them an entire step down? That's what I've heard from most people.