hey everybody, new member and soon will be a new player. i didn't put this on the guitar picking helper thread thingy because i already picked my guitar. My guitar will be coming in a couple of days and I'm getting an Epiphone SG Special . Everywhere i looked and everybody i asked seemed to tell me that it was a good choice for a beginner.

just wanted to say hi and ask everybody what they thought about that particular guitar if it was a good choice and what not.

also if anybody has any helpful tips on taking care of my guitar or playing it, its greatly appreciated
Yeah, thats a great guitar to start on and mess around with. If I were you, I'd start learning chords and scales. If you not taking lessons pick up a book that will help teach you things.
Yeah, practice chords and chord changes for like 15-30 minutes or so a day. I think I started by learning Am, C, E, Em, D, Dm, then G and A which were a little harder. I got those mastered and went on from there.
I would try to get a G-400 its a lot better guitar for not that much more.

Just try to learn easy songs to start with because doing chords over and over again will bore you and learning songs you know is also fun!

UG Mods really have no sense of humour.....

Welcome to the forums. That is a pretty solid guitar to start on. Looks nice too.

The most important thing you can do when you finally get it is to pick it up and use it. It doesn't do you any good sitting in the corner. Stick with it, no matter what you end up practicing.

You should definitely include some scales and chords into your practice because you will be using these constantly. Break the dullness of that up with learning some of your favorite songs using tabs from this site. You will feel great when you can get something to sound remotely similar to the actual song.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
The most important factor to be considered is how comfortable YOU are with your guitar.

Everything else is secondary.
All the best.
Quote by derintrel
hey everybody, new member and soon will be a new player. i didn't put this on the guitar picking helper thread thingy because i already picked my guitar. My guitar will be coming in a couple of days and I'm getting an Epiphone SG Special . Everywhere i looked and everybody i asked seemed to tell me that it was a good choice for a beginner.

just wanted to say hi and ask everybody what they thought about that particular guitar if it was a good choice and what not.

also if anybody has any helpful tips on taking care of my guitar or playing it, its greatly appreciated

You and me are one and the same. I started at christmas and bought that guitar. It works well for what I need it for.

Here are some suggestions:

Learn some beginner songs WHILE learning chords and scales. You just learn songs, It's harder to learn later on. You just learn chords and scales, it gets boring...

Practice alternate picking/economy picking early on. It will get you into some good habits right off the bat.

Get a practice schedule, but let time off to give you fingers a rest. Your muscles will not develop if you don't give them time to rest.

Here's to a long, sucessful career in music mate
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

First of all welcome!,And secondly..The SG guitars are great!,I own a SG-400(If i am not wrong xD)And its perfcet,And if your a rock n' roller you might wanna check out some ac dc tabs(riffs mostly) like TNT,Rock N' Roll Train,Back in black,Highway to hell and much more!,These songs really helped me with the switching and learning chords since their all based on those first chords you need to learn.