I've had some previous musical experience, I was in a choir for 3 years (Damn elementary school) and played the Trumpet for 4 years before giving it up. I'd never had much interest in music, but I fell in love with Metal, and quickly delved into the more extreme subgenres thereof.

I'm mostly going to be teaching myself using online resources, such as this one, although if I find it to be ineffective, I may search for a teacher in my community.

Anyways, I don't know much about play the guitar. I browsed the site for a good hour today, but am feeling a tad overwhelmed by all the information. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Don't jump right into the deep end

Start with learning just the basics (like the major scale for starters) and slowly increase your knowledge of theory as you slowly increase your skill with playing.
Uhh....If you can put your index finger on the 1st fret and stretch your pinky to the 7th fret, you'll be fine.
Yeah, take it slow. I'm unsure of every one else but i have been playing for over a year and i still don't know the basics. I can play well but i can't name all the notes and what not.
do not ignore theory!
Also, buy Total Guitar Magazine (UK) if your in the UK, or a similar magazine if your not.
Your first guitar should be a relatively cheap one, as if you decide to give up, you havnt spent much wasted money. do NOT start on an acoustic.
basically, at first learn all the open chords, learn sacles, do NOT try and learn any songs atm. Slowly work your way up
Love is my religion
Quote by Thrash648
do not ignore theory!
Also, buy Total Guitar Magazine (UK) if your in the UK, or a similar magazine if your not.
Your first guitar should be a relatively cheap one, as if you decide to give up, you havnt spent much wasted money. do NOT start on an acoustic.
basically, at first learn all the open chords, learn sacles, do NOT try and learn any songs atm. Slowly work your way up

Ummm, why not? I started on an electric, and now that I have my acoustic, I wish I would have started on that... It provides a higher action strengthening your fingers and you don't have to buy a guitar and an amp, most likely saving you money. A beginner should get a guitar that suits him/her best, according to whatever kind of music they want to play, and what feels comfortable to them.
Last edited by MCone at Dec 30, 2008,
Quote by MCone
Ummm, why not? I started on an electric, and now that I have my acoustic, I wish I would have started on that... It provides a higher action strengthening your fingers and you don't have to buy a guitar and an amp, most likely saving you money. A beginner should get a guitar that suits him/her best, according to whatever kind of music they want to play, and what feels comfortable to them.

Yes.

Starting on an acoustic is a bit more difficult (I imagine), but it will build finger strength better. With electric, you may develop bad habits that are very hard to break.

It's your choice whether to start on acoustic or electric. Electric may suit your purposes better, but if you want to be more than mediocre, I'd say acoustic will probably get you to that point better and faster.
Yea, it depends on personal preference, but from what I have heard, I would strongly suggest starting out on an acoustic. I started learning (without a teacher) about a month ago on acoustic, and even though its quite hard at the start you get used to more and more every day (little by little of course). Its better because your fingers will get stronger faster.
On how to start - this is what I have been doing:
I've written down a couple of open chords, such as D,A,G,E majs etc, and just started to play them, making sure my fingers are learning the position of the chords and the notes coming out clear. Im also doing finger exercises, learning scales and theory etc.
I've also learned a couple easy solos or intros to songs like Smoke on the Water, 7 nation army or Come as You are, just to treat myself for some nice sound
I am hoping to learn mostly bluesy stuff, so Ive been watching quite a few Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan etc. concerts to get inspired...
So yea I hope all this helps
Oh btw, Im Russian. :stickpoke

Fascinating people: Jon Stewart, Bill Murray, Eric Clapton, John Mayer, Hugh Laurie, Seasick Steve, Eugene Hutz, William Shatner, Boris Grebenshikov, Anthony Hopkins.

Hohner HC 06
Washburn EA18TS
Quote by MCone

you can use ordinary computer speakers. or a stereo if you have.
if you want to switch between quiet and loud you should get an electric. arguments that electric guitar is better:
it is smaller
it have distortion
the amps are often cheaper than for acoustic
it is cooler lookin
you can play quieter than acoustic(by not using an amp)
you can play louder that an acoustic
it is best
Quote by Lars
Hey guys. What is this new amp we got today? it says M... Ma... Mars something. Marshall!!!
i think it says MG here on a little note too
Quote by Kirk

Quote by James
RUN LARS!!!

lulz
Trumpet is in the treble clef...

Anyway, I play guitar in bass clef, because I have never bothered to learn the treble. If you can transpose it is not really a problem.
Last edited by GymboJones at Dec 30, 2008,
Quote by TeH_Murmur
I've had some previous musical experience, I was in a choir for 3 years (Damn elementary school) and played the Trumpet for 4 years before giving it up. I'd never had much interest in music, but I fell in love with Metal, and quickly delved into the more extreme subgenres thereof.

I'm mostly going to be teaching myself using online resources, such as this one, although if I find it to be ineffective, I may search for a teacher in my community.

Anyways, I don't know much about play the guitar. I browsed the site for a good hour today, but am feeling a tad overwhelmed by all the information. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

There's no point overloading yourself with information that you're not going to be able to make use of....don't read ANYTHING about how to play the thing yet, it's just pointless and will only confuse you.

If you want advice on what to buy though then fire away.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by TeH_Murmur
I'd never had much interest in music, but I fell in love with Metal, and quickly delved into the more extreme subgenres thereof.

The first thing you need to know is that generally, metal is a complex style of music. As such it will take a lot of practice and patience to be able to perform it. It may be three years or more of boring practice drills before you can play anything that you like. Do you like metal enough to dedicate three years of your spare time to? If yes, then get an electric and a guitar basics book and start working through it. Good luck.
www.justinguitar.com and www.vguitarlessons.com have awesome video series that you should watch. They really do take you from "ok you just picked up a guitar for the first time, now what?" stage and go from there.
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
Pay for a few lessons after you visit justinguitar.com kool british guy teaches you alot for free what you dont learn from him and your fingers ask the paid tutor thats what i did=]
JAKE
I've been at it a good 2-3 hours today.

Got three chords down solid (A, E, D) and am starting to teach myself the rythm part of the intro to Fade to Black, as well as the entirety of Desolate Ways by Morbid Angel (I dropped the bass part)
buy a year of a guitar magazine.
Read it......eventually more things will click.
Look at the the sweet guitars and musicans...get inspired!

Hang around musicians a lot.

Bam!! ...ur making sweet love to ur guitar!!
works like magic!
I still can't get enough after years and years of playin!