I know this is probably answered in one of the stickies but i can't seem to find anything. Really sorry for making this but i just want to know quickly what the advangages and disadvantages are of using a good recording device/microphone to record songs rather than connecting my guitar straight into my computer.

I just want to make some covers for youtube really so its not that serious, but im not sure how to go about it. I think ive realised that recording on my phone camera isn't going to cut it anymore.

If you can let me know or direct me to the appropriate thread id be greatfull.

Thanks.
Are You Shpongled..?
I play bass and it goes like this for me, bass -> amp -> computer.

My amp has a direct out so my sound passes through the amps eq and then goes straight to the computer.

A disadvantage of using a mic is that it may pick up some of the outside noise in your house(unless you are in a studio with soundproof walls)

I personally prefer going straight to the computer, but I usually play the directly recorded track back out into a mic and then back into the computer to create a more alive sound.

Hope I helped
Ok thanks. I think thats a good idea. I guess that would save you having to buy any amplification software on your computer to get a good tone right?

How would i connect my amp to the computer? I couldn't really just use the headphone jack could i?

Sorry im a complete beginner at recording.
Are You Shpongled..?
A good microphone for vocals, a Line in for Guitars, combine the tracks with audacity or similiar free software for better quality.

OR

Do what I have done recently and invest in a multitrack digi recorder with the capacity for both! and then just go with what you want to... I'm happy with the quality of recordings it gives me.
Too much gain = Ears in pain
Quote by Nic Play Guitar
A good microphone for vocals, a Line in for Guitars, combine the tracks with audacity or similiar free software for better quality.

OR

Do what I have done recently and invest in a multitrack digi recorder with the capacity for both! and then just go with what you want to... I'm happy with the quality of recordings it gives me.

Im just want to record guitar really. Not much of a singer. About connecting the guitar to the computer. Is it best to use an external amplifier, or are amplification programmes that add distortion etc good enough?
Are You Shpongled..?
Quote by nugiboy
Im just want to record guitar really. Not much of a singer. About connecting the guitar to the computer. Is it best to use an external amplifier, or are amplification programmes that add distortion etc good enough?

Usually you need some sort of interface, to be honest im not really that savvy at this kind of stuff I just pay attention when I record my bass parts in my band.

Personally I would much rather use my own amp with a mic, just because I know how it will sound and I like the tone but I have no idea what kind of amp you have.
Quote by nugiboy

You can use effects pedals, on my profile there is a wee recording of pink floyds wish you were here... I did that by plugging my amp in to my ZOOM effects pedal, then took a line from the output of the pedal into the computer... programmed in whatever sounds i needed. I did not use an amp or microphone.

Guitar --> Multi Effects Pedal --> Computer ---> Software
Too much gain = Ears in pain
Quote by Nic Play Guitar
You can use effects pedals, on my profile there is a wee recording of pink floyds wish you were here... I did that by plugging my amp in to my ZOOM effects pedal, then took a line from the output of the pedal into the computer... programmed in whatever sounds i needed. I did not use an amp or microphone.

Guitar --> Multi Effects Pedal --> Computer ---> Software

This is true, you can also substitute a multi-effects pedal for some sort of interface like the one found here:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Pod-Studio-GX-with-Pod-Farm?sku=250006

You get different choices of amps and effects with an interface, but I really dont know if the one I specified is good I only used it as an example.