Hello.

A few days ago my SD Blackouts arrived from GC. I have yet to get them installed (GC is too expensive and my cousin, who is going to do the soldering, is busy with work till the weekend). But now that some time has passed I am having some doubts.

See my FAVORITE band of ALL TIME is System of a Down, which is why, for a time, before I even considered the Blackouts, I was leaning towards SD SH-6 Distortion set (the same pickups SOAD's guitarist uses on his guitar) . The thing is, I was worried that going fro passive to passive (from my stock Gibson SG 490s to the SH-6s) would not be that much of a noticeable difference, which is what caused me to choose the Blackouts.

Now I can still return them (they were in a plastic open/close case, i just opened it to read the manual,t then put everything back to close it), but I am not sure if I should.

Any thoughts?
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
Gibson SG Special Faded Brown w/ Duncan Blackouts
AMP
B-52 At-112 60 Wat All Tube Combo
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
SG --> MXR --> ISP --> B-52
Last edited by gpowsang at Dec 30, 2008,
Try them out. If you don't like them, return them or eBay them. Simple.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^if i try them, that would mean installing them, which would mean using all the pots and output jack that came with it, as well as the wiring and soldering, i dont think ill be able to return them.
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
AMP
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
if you don't like em, you can always put them on craiglist or something similar in your city.

just be sure to list them as brand new or.. only played them for a week. people aren't usually too picky when they're surfing the used ads
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
^yes i know i can do that, but the thing is that i would have to wire and slder all the stuff it comes with just to try the out
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
AMP
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
IMO it's not a matter of passive-->active or anything when it comes to before/after results of pickups. There are just so many different kinds (especially with passives) out there, that it really depends on what two pickups you are comparing...and more importantly how well your amp responds to pickup changes.

Personally, I use the SD Blackouts, and I LOVE it. Punchy midrange, airy treble, massive low end...and a sexy crunch and attack that I love. Not to mention dynamic (yes, it is slightly compressed, but I like that...it's not overly compressed). Clarity is magnificent as well.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
^how is the clean chanel and (I know this may be asking too much) do u think u can post some vids of the clean channel and gain in Drop C?
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
AMP
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
Why did you get them in the first place? If the pickups you have now work for what your looking for then there is no need to switch...

Sounds like that GAS is coming back to haunt you...

Take two of these and think it over

Quote by gpowsang
^how is the clean chanel and (I know this may be asking too much) do u think u can post some vids of the clean channel and gain in Drop C?

I don't have any clips to spare for the cleans on them, but if you're not careful, they will cause your preamp tubes to break up....if you roll back on the volume they do clean up considerably considering they are actives...but not as well as passives do.

It is possible though, they do sound very clear, not muddy...very glassy and shimmery. Volume knob is key.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Why did you get them in the first place? If the pickups you have now work for what your looking for then there is no need to switch...

Sounds like that GAS is coming back to haunt you...

Take two of these and think it over

i mean to say that they ARE NOT installed yet
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
AMP
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
any other thoughts?
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
AMP
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
Quote by gpowsang
i mean to say that they ARE NOT installed yet

I understand that. My question was why did you get them in the first place.. Is there some underlying reason we dont know about that you want to keep them. Say some other band you like has them and you want to sound like them or so on. Because like you stated your pickups will hardly make a difference tone wise and your happy with them because they can get you close to your favorite band correct? So why did you get the blackouts?
^what i am saying is that i have ALWAYS wanted SOAD's tone, which is y i was leaning on the pickups their guitarist uses (SH-6s) but i was afraid of not getting such a HUGE difference in tone from going from passive to passive, which is y i decided on Blackouts.
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
AMP
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
Quote by gpowsang
^what i am saying is that i have ALWAYS wanted SOAD's tone, which is y i was leaning on the pickups their guitarist uses (SH-6s) but i was afraid of not getting such a HUGE difference in tone from going from passive to passive, which is y i decided on Blackouts.

But thats like me saying man I really want to sound like angus young let me get some EMG 81's. Come on man you went from rock to metal in the blink of an eye. If there is other other reason other the the fact you over shot what you were looking for by another state. Then yea you need to return them lol

I was thinking well maybe the guy also plays alot of metal hell I dont know, there has to be some other reason he went from thinking about getting sh-6's to getting the F***in beast of pickups lol
Quote by IbanezPsycho
But thats like me saying man I really want to sound like angus young let me get some EMG 81's. Come on man you went from rock to metal in the blink of an eye. If there is other other reason other the the fact you over shot what you were looking for by another state. Then yea you need to return them lol

I was thinking well maybe the guy also plays alot of metal hell I dont know, there has to be some other reason he went from thinking about getting sh-6's to getting the F***in beast of pickups lol

listen i heard that Blackouts have this passive humbucking tone to them while still getting a nice active feel, if that makes any sense.

I just wanna know if getting the SH-6s will give me a noticeable difference in tone.
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
AMP
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
Quote by gpowsang
listen i heard that Blackouts have this passive humbucking tone to them while still getting a nice active feel, if that makes any sense.

I just wanna know if getting the SH-6s will give me a noticeable difference in tone.

They say that because people compare them to EMG 81's. Active pickups are still active pickups and while yes blackouts are more organic there not going to give you the feel and response a passive will. There a hot pick just like EMG's so if your looking for a passive pickup get a passive pickup.

As far as noticable difference any guitar I have played I could tell subtle differences in the way the pickups sounded. So yes it will make a difference the issue is cost per noticable difference. Will it blow your mind and be night and day probably not unless you get some bareknuckles or something. So honestly it might not ne that good of an investment to you. But then again I haven't I havent played either pickup so it might be the exact opposite but out of all the guitars and pickups I have tested the only huge difference I could tell pickup wise was with dimebucker because it made my tone sh!t and my emg's which is what im looking or in a pickup there tone is very pronounced.

Hope that helps..
Quote by gpowsang
Hello.

A few days ago my SD Blackouts arrived from GC. I have yet to get them installed (GC is too expensive and my cousin, who is going to do the soldering, is busy with work till the weekend). But now that some time has passed I am having some doubts.

I really don't understand this at all, when people cannot learn to heat up some wire with an iron and melt some solder on it to make a connection. Seriously. Swapping pickups is easy and should not take more than 30-40 minutes. 15 of those being the time it takes to remove all the strings and putting new strings on the guitar.

See my FAVORITE band of ALL TIME is System of a Down, which is why, for a time, before I even considered the Blackouts, I was leaning towards SD SH-6 Distortion set (the same pickups SOAD's guitarist uses on his guitar) . The thing is, I was worried that going fro passive to passive (from my stock Gibson SG 490s to the SH-6s) would not be that much of a noticeable difference, which is what caused me to choose the Blackouts.

You see I never quite got this... you have two reasons for wanting these pickups here, 1) you just want to have the same pickups in your guitar that your favorite guitarist does, nothing wrong with that, 2) you want the same sound that your favorite guitarist has, nothing wrong with that either. But pickups are really for that last 10% of a certain tone. Trust me, if you want that guy's tone, if you can't already get close with what you have, you're not going to get it with a new set of pickups.

Are you having problems with your current stock pickups? It is really not worth it to switch pickups unless you really a clear problem with the ones you have. Trust me, because until you can nail down something specific that bothers you, you're in for a long expensive process of finding the "right" pickups. Basically, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Lastly, not all passive humbuckers sound the same. I have no idea where you got that idea from.

Now I can still return them (they were in a plastic open/close case, i just opened it to read the manual,t then put everything back to close it), but I am not sure if I should.

Any thoughts?

I can't tell you whether you'll like the blackouts or not, I can tell you that they should cover SOAD just fine. Will you have the same sound as their guitarist? Doubtfully but it is much more likely that you probably can't play guitar as well and have a completely different rig.
You should just install the pickups and give them a try. If they don't work you could probably recuperate most of the cost on eBay or Craigslist since they're so new, or try and return them to the store.
Quote by al112987
I really don't understand this at all, when people cannot learn to heat up some wire with an iron and melt some solder on it to make a connection. Seriously. Swapping pickups is easy and should not take more than 30-40 minutes. 15 of those being the time it takes to remove all the strings and putting new strings on the guitar.

You see I never quite got this... you have two reasons for wanting these pickups here, 1) you just want to have the same pickups in your guitar that your favorite guitarist does, nothing wrong with that, 2) you want the same sound that your favorite guitarist has, nothing wrong with that either. But pickups are really for that last 10% of a certain tone. Trust me, if you want that guy's tone, if you can't already get close with what you have, you're not going to get it with a new set of pickups.

Are you having problems with your current stock pickups? It is really not worth it to switch pickups unless you really a clear problem with the ones you have. Trust me, because until you can nail down something specific that bothers you, you're in for a long expensive process of finding the "right" pickups. Basically, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Lastly, not all passive humbuckers sound the same. I have no idea where you got that idea from.

I can't tell you whether you'll like the blackouts or not, I can tell you that they should cover SOAD just fine. Will you have the same sound as their guitarist? Doubtfully but it is much more likely that you probably can't play guitar as well and have a completely different rig.

i guess your right

currently i am playing through a B-52 AT-112 (which I love for its versatility and high gain, which lets me cover SOAD songs amazingly) the only fallback i feel that I have on my pickups are the gain and cleans of it. Frankly, i just want t boost in gain and a boost in cleans. Im not saying that they are bad, i just want to improve them (esp more gain for that crunchier sound im looking for)
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
AMP
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
Last edited by gpowsang at Dec 30, 2008,
Use them, Blackouts are really nice, now if they were EMG's that'd be different.
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
^yes i understand i would clearly be getting the crunch boost on the gain channel that i have been looking for, ill try them out, hopefully the clean channel wont be hurt.

y do u say id be different if they were EMGs?
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
AMP
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
he's implying EMGs suck.

personally I agree, but I'm not big on any actives myself. especially if you're putting them into a good resonant hunk of wood. now I think that blackouts are a tad less sterile sounding, but they still color your tone with that flat eq response that it seems all active humbuckers have.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 30, 2008,
^so what am i getting and what am i loosing by putting these on (like am i loosing cleans, tone, etc.)
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
AMP
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
Active pickups generally have a bit of a bland character. the thing I hate most is that it makes your tone very neutral and it overshadows the natural tone of the guitar. You'll be getting more gain, a lot of gain with a lot of clarity, but you're sacrificing the more dynamic, open qualities of a passive pickup. You may also lose some clean headroom, all high output pickups, whether passive or active are going to hit the front end of your amp very hard. Think of it as using a set of very weak humbuckers with a clean boost in front of it at all times.
I think you will be fine actually. Just throw them in and learn to use your volume knob to clean up the amp and add dynamics. Those pups are pretty damn good and will do virtually any style (within reason)
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
^um...how do i use my volume knob to clean up the amp and add dynamics?
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
AMP
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
Uhm, you have no idea how diverse passive pickups are, do you? Passive to passive is overly simplifying the pickup change. Get the pickups you want.

And you just roll your volume knob to about 7 to clean up your sound.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I don't mind my clean channel for my EMG. I've heard Blackouts are better I dunno.

It's worth it if your playing a little more gainy stuff, but if you play mostly clean I would think passive.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
You'll probably end up liking them. You are going to have your favorite bands tone because of the pickups you have. And I like passive better. I used to go active everytime but i discovered if you get ahold of a damn good pair of passives it sounds so much heavier. Just put the pickups close to the strings to make it have high output. You can put actives closer than passives.
Quote by hcsn2008
You'll probably end up liking them. You are going to have your favorite bands tone because of the pickups you have. And I like passive better. I used to go active everytime but i discovered if you get ahold of a damn good pair of passives it sounds so much heavier. Just put the pickups close to the strings to make it have high output. You can put actives closer than passives.

huh?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
huh?

He just contradicted himself about 3 times, and made a misleading statement by possibly lacking proper mastery of the English language.

Or he's drunk.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores