would it be okay to elbow pick only with im trem picking? because my wrist alone cannot go that fast...
-|-\/\/()/\/_V/\/\()|_|(
=============)
Nope. If you use your elbow you'll create a lot of tension in your arm which won't do you any good.

You just need to practice your wrist action more
Not really proper technique but you can, you should still practice with your wrist to get at your desired speed (Using a metronome)
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Practise Misirlou by Dick Dale and gradually build up your speed, I found this the best way to get my tremolo picking from the wrist up to a good standard.
The way you're asking me tells me what you're doing is trying to use a vibrating elbow to take over from controlled wrist technique.

I'll be blunt, you can't expect to play as fast as X pro guitarist unless you put in hundreds of hours of practice, and the majority of their motion for the majority of great alternate pickers comes from a loose, controlled wrist.

Don't do what I did and mess up your arm and playing by elbow spazzing. Seriously.
^ +1

The way I see it is that even for guitarists with great technique, there is still this freakout point, where technique goes to sh*t. Like even if someone can play with beautiful ecomonical relaxed controlled picking at 200 bpm in 16ths, then suddely someone set the metronome to 250 and said "keep up or your house will catch fire", guess what happens? Most likely they switch to all kinds of bad things in their technique like elbow spazzing, picking hand turning into claw, shoulder and bicep tightening up, and so on. It's like your body goes from playing mode, to "desperately trying to keep up mode".

So the idea is that you've got to constantly reinforce the good technique. The more you reinforce it, the higher the threshold of complexity and/or speed, before the body starts wanting to go into the panic technique.

If you practice the panic technique, you are doing the opposite, you are reinforcing it instead of the good technique and making it easier to switch into the bad technique.
I'd say just take things back a bit, go back to doing it at a slow speed like 80bpm and just do quater notes and keep going up to however fast your metranome will go then go back down to 80 and do it with Eights upto the maximum speed then go back down to 80 and do it with Sixteenths etc... and you can keep doing that untill you reach your peak speed, but make sure you can do it perfectly clearly with no bad notes!!! also try add an accented note say every 4,8or 12 notes (unless your finding it way too easy then try it with an accent on every 9th or 11th note!). Thats what I do will all my techniques(except suff like tapping, but even then it can be useful!) and it builds your speed up in no time. If your finding it too easy with quater notes then go straight into eights and I'd say getting into the 120's-160's with sixteenths would be a good target, then you got it good, but even then you can still push on!

Hope that made sense to you and if it didn't i'm sorry I wasted your time

Enjoy!!
Last edited by bass wizard at Dec 31, 2008,
Quote by bass wizard
also try add an accented note say every 4,8or 12 notes (unless your finding it way too easy then try it with an accent on every 9th or 11th note!)

That is a great suggestion, because to do that you need control over what you are doing, which is a key. It seems that this gets missed a lot in the whole speed thing. The goal isn't just to be able to keep up, but play those notes in a way which is nice to you, which means with control over dynamics and feel.
Yup, it really helps if your learning paul gilbert or guthrie govan etc.... material as they have extremely wierd phrasing sometimes. Shawn lane also had wierd phrasing, so it really is key to devolp the abilty to drop an accent where ever told to.
Quote by anonymous564
would it be okay to elbow pick only with im trem picking? because my wrist alone cannot go that fast...

You can only go up to a certain point with just the wrist. You still use the wrist, but the
wrist-only can be "turbo charged" by blending in the elbow. You might liken the entire
motion to something like a whip. Of course, the movements are much smaller and
more controlled. You really don't want to tremolo pick with only the elbow. Wrist-only
up to a certain point, then add some elbow in when you need more speed.