Does anyone here have EMGs in a Gibson Explorer?

I play a lot of stuff along the lines of Suicide Silence and After The Burial, but my stock pickups just aren't cutting it.

Would these be a worthy investment? I have enough at GC in store credit to cover them.

Got any pictures?
do it. my friend did the same thing and it is sooo beastly.
Quote by horny_cactus
Who's Rick Roll? Sorry for my ignorance I just joined this forum so I don't yet Know that member.
EMG + Explorer = win
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
What's a good combo?

I was thinking about just getting the Zakk Wylde set since it has all the pots, and what not included in the package.

Or should I get something else?

I need a decent clean tone, but it doesn't have to be amazing.
Claudio Sanchez does it. Try 81/60 combo. Don't just look at EMGs though, Seymour Duncan have good actives (I prefer them) but most guitarists ignore them.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
I heard that the EMGs are better in a live sitation, and the SDs are better in the studio.

True or False?
Yeah, Claudio Sanchez of Coheed and Cambria has the Zakk Wylde set in his Explorers. Amazing sound, and pretty versatile. Check out some of their music ("Welcome Home" probably being the best example) to hear it.
Don't ever respect conventional thought without reason.
SD Blackouts aren't any worse in a live situation than EMGs. They (Blackouts) don't sound as cold and lifeless as EMGs, at least in my opinion.

If you go with EMGs, put an 81/85 set in there. However, I recommend the SD Blackouts. Either way, it'll make your Explorer sound pretty beastin'.
what's your amp?
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Mine is not a Gibson but I put EMG's in my Epiphone Explorer (pics below). If you get the EMG's do the 18v mod. There is room for 2 9v batteries in the control cavity (see pic below).

hey- about your setup. To get the active pickups in a guitar set up for passive, you just had to route the batteries to the control cavity and you were set? Or is there anything else to be done? I'm wanting to get a set of active pickups but can't afford a new guitar or any modification/carving on my guitar.
Quote by eifersucht12a
hey- about your setup. To get the active pickups in a guitar set up for passive, you just had to route the batteries to the control cavity and you were set? Or is there anything else to be done? I'm wanting to get a set of active pickups but can't afford a new guitar or any modification/carving on my guitar.

I didn't have to do any routing or carving at all. I just ran the wires to the control cavity and hooked everything up.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
I didn't have to do any routing or carving at all. I just ran the wires to the control cavity and hooked everything up.

Thanks a ton! You just answered a question I've had for I don't know how long. :p Felt like it was probably stupid so I never bothered to ask. Haha.
I have a Gibson Explorer with the Zakk Wylde EMG's installed and I couldn't be happier...just need a better amp than my cruddy little Spider III
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
YOur Explorer has gibson 496/500 pickups right? I'm going to go against the grain here, I but I really like that stock combo in my Goth Explorer. The 500 is actually a little brighter than the EMG 81 in my KE1.

I'd go with the SD blackouts personally, they are supposed to be quieter than the EMGs with more output. My emg 81 is kind of noisy.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
EMG's are alright. I'd look for something else like SD Blackouts. Frankly, EMG's sound like trash cans being bashed together.
im getting mine done tomorrow...i got a killer deal on some zakk wyld emg's for $119 from GC goin to a shop and having them put in tomorow!!! w00t!