I don't like how I sound, everything I write sounds just a little too bluesy and metal for my taste. I don't even listen to hardly any blues or classic rock or metal. Lots of hardcore and post hardcore, Underoath, As cities burn, and sherwood. thats what i like, what i listen to, but not what i sound like.
Anyone else have this problem? Obviously I can listen to and learn more music like that, but thats really mostly what I've done since I started getting into guitar, so idk. does anyone have any good advice to help me out?
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Quote by colohue
Are you using the Pentatonic scale?

I shoulda mentioned that, yeah sometimes, but only when I want that, I normally use a three note per string major scale for soloing, which I don't often do. but my sound doesn't really come from a pentatonic scale. I guess I'd credit my sound to that i listened to and played a good amount of blues for six months about a year into playing guitar. but thats the minority of my guitar playing life by far. though maybe it was the most influential... idk, either way, i don't feel how i want to
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
What? A good 80% of the time when people think their solos sound too 'bluesy' the Pentatonic scale is to blame.

Likely you're just using patterns familiar to your blues learning. Most people don't realise that blues isn't a sound, it's a style of playing.
...so stop playing that way

i think its more phrasing than a scale, but if you are listening to yourself when you are playing and picking out your notes and ideas with any attention at all, you shouldn't be playing things you dislike. I'm going to guess you need to stop playing 'built-in' licks like running around scales and whatnot. Do some ear training, listen to music you like, and replicate it or slowly figure out what kind of things you enjoy hearing on the guitar and then play them
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
Well I can hear a little blues in As Cities Burn anyways.. (at least I think.. )

Now here's a question: do you just listen to these bands, or do you get tabs to those songs or do you play along with the cd or any of that?
Quote by zipppy2006
...so stop playing that way

i think its more phrasing than a scale, but if you are listening to yourself when you are playing and picking out your notes and ideas with any attention at all, you shouldn't be playing things you dislike. I'm going to guess you need to stop playing 'built-in' licks like running around scales and whatnot. Do some ear training, listen to music you like, and replicate it or slowly figure out what kind of things you enjoy hearing on the guitar and then play them

I don't really think i play many built in licks or that kind of thing. I do a good lot of ear training, and i already learn songs that I want to sound like, but the stuff I write still feels a little too bluesy...
I do think it might be my phrasing though, i'm glad you pointed it out, i'll pay attention to that next time i sit down and play. thanks for mentioning that. anyone else have more advice?

Edit:
Quote by TGautier13
Well I can hear a little blues in As Cities Burn anyways.. (at least I think.. )

Now here's a question: do you just listen to these bands, or do you get tabs to those songs or do you play along with the cd or any of that?

I really do all of that, I listen to those bands a ton, I normally hit an underoath song or two when I sit down and play, and I just learned Empires by As cities burn and i play that along with the CD... idk, maybe its a problem that will just change with time.
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
Last edited by Lt.DanHasLegs at Dec 30, 2008,
learn some thrash riffs, make em more melodic and open palm mute over 9000 times in drop d or c, if the timing is hXc enough and you have a billion breakdowns you'll be guaranteed success, the drums are also important
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?