Page 1 of 2
well for a while i have wondered about this. i have a hitchhiker's thumb. meaning my thumb can almost do a 180. anyway, i've noticed that having this affects the way i hold the neck. i can play easily sitting down but when i play standing my fretting hand tires out quickly and begins to cramp up real bad. this is why i have a love hate relationship with ibanez . i LOVE the wizard necks but my hand says otherwise. i've also noticed that the pain isn't as evident on thicker necks like the PRS SE Customs or Schecters for that matter. do you guy's think that it could affect my progression on guitar? i mean because of the way i hold the neck some things seem a bit harder to do. like barre chords become a pain in the ass after a few minutes?

here are some pics of my thumb and how i hold the neck

anyone with similar experiences/stories?
discuss.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Ew pretty sick. I think it might =\
ಠ_ಠ WILL GIVE HEAD

Quote by Myxer
Have to give you props that the funniest post I read in a while
Quote by GogglesVK

hazardmaster has won this thread.

Fender Stratocaster 57' Reissue (Japanese)
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
My thumb is exactly the same, and i use an ibanez jem, with a neck just as thin as that one, and yeah it is a pain
I <3 Drugs.

The universe works on a math equation-
That never even ever really ends in the end-
Infinity spirals out creation.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
I do something like that. My thumb has some weird bending going on and I can't play standing up. However I CAN play songs higher on the neck and I CAN play songs lower on the neck if I practice them standing up a ton.
Quote by jester ed
hey everybody and welcome to the freak show

After Thumb Boy its Jester ed's freakishly small penis.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

,___,
[¬.¬]
/)__)
-"--"-

Quote by FishCream
Stop Performing Meathook Sodomy On Yourself
my thumb is the same

just get used to repositioning it
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
to TS: Dr.Sergio prescribes you to masterbation therapy, 3 times a day for 3 years and you will be a different person.
yeah i've seen alot of thumbs like mine but mine takes the take. i post of pic in a minute
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by boreamor
I love your sig haha

why thank you

i must say i'm quite partial to orgasmic cookies my myself

no one makes them for me though
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
no its natural.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by will123456789
no its natural.

what's natural?

i know it's not a life hindering condition and that alot of people have a hitchhiker's thumb but it i'm thinking it does slow me down a bit
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Dude..thats how I hold it I have a hitch hikers too.

I play just fine standing up though..minus the slight subtraction of my reach. But that could just be bad positioning of my guitar on my part. Doesnt help I have noteably small hands. Im talkin ****in small. Like the size of an ipod classic.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Dude..thats how I hold it I have a hitch hikers too.

I play just fine standing up though..minus the slight subtraction of my reach. But that could just be bad positioning of my guitar on my part. Doesnt help I have noteably small hands. Im talkin ****in small. Like the size of an ipod classic.

ouch

we are so alike yet so far apart
stupid thumb!

*glares at thumb*

*hugs frizbee*
i feel for you buddy.......i feel for you.....
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
My thumb is the same way, and I'm a sick mofuggin' monstah on da guitar. Deal with it.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by SomebodySomeone
ouch

we are so alike yet so far apart
stupid thumb!

*glares at thumb*

*hugs frizbee*
i feel for you buddy.......i feel for you.....

We have freakish thumbs

I feel for you too man *big slow-mo dramatic hallmark hug*
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Pfff, that thumb is nothing. I know a kid who has a thumb adapted to play Gameboy. It's just about as long as his other fingers. It reminds me of a sloth or something.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
oh ****! i never thought someone would've made a thread like this

but you claim it makes it easier
i find it makes me exert more pressure on my thumb, resulting in a really bad cramp
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
you might consider surgery. it probably wouldn't be too much and looks like you're headed that way anyway.

best of luck bro! i too suffer from some wear and tear due to guitar playing.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
thanks,

although i think surgery is going a bit too far. i've always had my thumbs like that. even before i started playing guitar. it's just that i recently came to the conclusion that it does hurt like a mofo when i play too long.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Yeah I have that kind of thumb too, but I play with my thumb of my fretting hand over the neck, like hendrix, page, and john frusciante to name a few. I don't notice any pain or anything...

Here's the style I'm talking about:

Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
hahaha i have that too my friend. but i have large hands so it really doesn't bothers me.

EDIT: maybe you have something wrong with your technique, you don't need to apply pressure with your thumb, i used to do that (exactly the same position) when i started playing, but then a friend told me that you don't have to apply pressure. try to be as relaxed as possible.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Last edited by magnum1117 at Dec 30, 2008,
Quote by magnum1117
hahaha i have that too my friend. but i have large hands so it really doesn't bothers me.

EDIT: maybe you have something wrong with your technique, you don't need to apply pressure with your thumb, i used to do that (exactly the same position) when i started playing, but then a friend told me that you don't have to apply pressure. try to be as relaxed as possible.

sadly as comfortable as i am with the neck, my hands just cramps up terribly

maldita mano chaquetera
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
sadly as comfortable as i am with the neck, my hands just cramps up terribly

maldita mano chaquetera

hahahahaha eres zurdo???

ve, agarra el cuello de la guitarra como cuando agarras una manzana, con el pulgar como hacia arriba en vez de apoyarlo a un lado y doblando tu dedo, asi ya no lo doblas. osea como se ve en la foto de hendrix pero sin rodear el cuello.

umm...i think speaking in other languages is against the rules...so yeah i told him to hold the guitar the way hendrix do it.

MEXICAN EDIT: ah y no pegues la palma al cuello, lo unico ke debe estar pegado al fretboard son tus dedos.
Quote by Vagabond21

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
no soy zurdo
*translates*
i'm not a lefty

but i don't necessary try to break the neck with my thumb. i do put a little bit of pressure on it when i play barre chords it' just the way i hold it . and i've tried wrapping my thumb around the neck but i just can't play like that if my life depended on it.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
no soy zurdo
*translates*
i'm not a lefty

but i don't necessary try to break the neck with my thumb. i do put a little bit of pressure on it when i play barre chords it' just the way i hold it . and i've tried wrapping my thumb around the neck but i just can't play like that if my life depended on it.

:/ then i don't know what to say hahahaha
Quote by Vagabond21

Quote by tremeloud

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
i'll just have to get used to it
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
ive got hitchhikers thumb too

i held it like that but have been trying to hold it without bending my thumb like a normal person. try conscously doing that it might help
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy
Ever stuck their finger in their ass, just to see what it was like? I did

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
Ive got a double jointed thumb, doesn't bother me, if anything it's worse than a hitchhikers thumb but I can control it getting bent back.
I have that, was just about to post a thread about it. It hurts a lot, I get tired quickly, most of you who don't have a problem with it probably play slow, bluesy stuff. I try to learn scale runs, arpeggios, etc. and my thumb just won't do it. I can't even play chromatics without it hurting. I'm actually thinking of giving up guitar as a whole because of this :/ Singing, maybe?
Page 1 of 2