Page 1 of 2
I made a thread a while ago asking which bass to get. I'm still looking. I want 5 strings and 24 frets. The electronic type doesnt matter as long as it growls or gets a metal like tone. I want an Alex Webster like tone. My price range is about $1000-$1500 ( I can always spend a little bit more). Any suggestions of brands are appreciated. Im thinking a warwick, spector or sadowsky. I looked at some esps too. Any recomendation of brands or a specific bass is appreciated
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Seeing as Alex Plays a Spector, that may be a good place to start. Warwicks are also very growlly, but have a lower mid growl, as opposed to a Spectors mid mid growl, if you get me.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Schecters are pretty popular metal basses. Though I'm starting to find that my Schecter lacks character when I'm playing slap or jazz or anything like that. I really like ESP/LTD for metal as well.

If you can afford it, though, yeah I'd go for a Warwick or a Spector. Or a Ric. I love Rickenbacker 4003's... They're just so pretty.
Jackson DKMG with Dimarzio Evo2's
Squier Strat

Vox AD50VT-212

Schecter Stilletto Elite-4

Acoustic B200

Change of Season

fuzzyDXMG=GREAT buyer/trader, easy to deal with.
Quote by atreyurock9
Schecters are pretty popular metal basses. Though I'm starting to find that my Schecter lacks character when I'm playing slap or jazz or anything like that. I really like ESP/LTD for metal as well.

If you can afford it, though, yeah I'd go for a Warwick or a Spector. Or a Ric. I love Rickenbacker 4003's... They're just so pretty.

Don't ricks have a really bright tone though..i don't think that they would be good for metal but...never played one...ibanez's are good though..
Spector and Warwick are both incredible brands for metal hard to say which is better tho probably Spector even tho warwick looks the part a little more lol especially the vampire and buzzard
Keep On Keepen' On
Quote by froggyman
Don't ricks have a really bright tone though..i don't think that they would be good for metal but...never played one...ibanez's are good though..

They work for Motorhead... I know that's more blues-oriented hard rock but I still think it'd work. I believe Metallica uses them sometimes too.
Jackson DKMG with Dimarzio Evo2's
Squier Strat

Vox AD50VT-212

Schecter Stilletto Elite-4

Acoustic B200

Change of Season

fuzzyDXMG=GREAT buyer/trader, easy to deal with.
Quote by atreyurock9
They work for Motorhead... I know that's more blues-oriented hard rock but I still think it'd work. I believe Metallica uses them sometimes too.

Trujillo used one in ontario 2 weeks ago
Quote by MustangMan311
Spector, if you're into Webster.

This.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
I think any of the three you picked would do great. You're also open to quite a few lesser-known brands and basses....though if you're looking at a Sadowsky you probably already know that. Take a look at Fernandes, Human Base, Zon, Cort, and whatever else you can find. If nothing else, check Bass Central. They'll probably get you a better price than MF on whatever you decide to buy, if you find something you like there. Check the used section.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by atreyurock9

Lemmy also uses guitar amps :P
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by atreyurock9

It also works for Akercocke.
Quote by froggyman
Do they make 5 string ricks though??

Yes. Recently, they have introduced one I believe.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by froggyman
Do they make 5 string ricks though??

Yeah, they do, although they look a bit off
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
I just bought the Schecter Stiletto Studio 5, and it can pull an amazing metal sound for just $700. I'ts really versatile, so whether you're looking for that pumped-midrange growl or a scooped sound, it's all in there.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by froggyman

Believe me, playing a bright bass through a brightly-voiced rig is the ONLY way a metal bassist will be able to be heard.

Besides, Cliff Burton played one.

OH SNAP, THEFITZ.
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
Quote by Ivanator
Believe me, playing a bright bass through a brightly-voiced rig is the ONLY way a metal bassist will be able to be heard.

OH SNAP, THEFITZ.

Ok cool i was proved wrong, i dont really mind like i said i've never even touched a rickenbacker bass...
Im not really a fan of musicmans....Ive been looking on bass central at stuff....and for those of you who said to try out basses its kind of a bitch to do because there aint many music stores in nebraska that dont have a lot. Ive been looking at stuff on bass central latley. any other ideas?

EDIT: Would the headstockless basses by steinburger (sp?) be any good?

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Last edited by Chunky_Lover at Dec 31, 2008,
Quote by Ivanator

OH SNAP, THEFITZ.

Yeah, Cliff Burton is a great example of a bassist cutting through the mix...
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by gm jack
Yes. Recently, they have introduced one I believe.

they Recently stoped making them.
along with everyother option on their basses other than colour.

but yeah, rickenbackers make you look and sound badass.
indie or metal.

also warwicks are epicly nice for about the same or less (or more, but you can get a good warwick for about the same as a rickenbacker)
Quote by 2112pk
they Recently stoped making them.
along with everyother option on their basses other than colour.

http://www.rickenbacker.com/model.asp?model=4004Cii/5

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Ivanator

OH SNAP, THEFITZ.

To be fair, most really bright tones still barely make it through the mix, and they leave the recording very thin sounding

Id rather have a deep punchy full sound that fills out my sonic space then having a tone that makes me more audible any day
I'm a chick. Get used to it!
I am surprised nobody has mentioned them, but how about Ibanez and ESP?

For ESP, you could get an orgasmic ESP Surveyor.

Ibanez's Prestige series offers the SR and the BTB.

Warwick and Spector are great all-around instruments, but I would prefer ESP and Ibanez for metal.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Bongo fiver. More sonically varied than a string ray, and can play any genre. 24 frets I believe, and godly, GODLY crafted. They feel like a million dollars in my hands.

Though, they look like toilet seats. It grows on ya.
DB Player
Quote by abornael
Bongo fiver. More sonically varied than a string ray, and can play any genre. 24 frets I believe, and godly, GODLY crafted. They feel like a million dollars in my hands.

Though, they look like toilet seats. It grows on ya.

QFT. I haaate the way they look. They have no grown on me, yet.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
any esps that are 5 stringers and have 24 frets? and would the headstockless steinbergers be good? or the plexiglass bass by ampeg?

Quote by GuitarHero0715

Quote by Chunky_Lover
any esps that are 5 stringers and have 24 frets? and would the headstockless steinbergers be good? or the plexiglass bass by ampeg?

Esps do have 24 fret 5 stringers, but they are cheaper and not as well made. You can find them here under the LTD series. LTDs are made in Korea by production line, while ESPs are handmade in japan. LTDs generally max out at $1000, so if you look at the really high end LTDs you may find what you like.

As an owner of a plexiglass bass, I like them. The body weighs a TON, but hey, we are bassplayers and I just happen to have rediculously powerful neck muscles (ladies.....), so it doesn't really phase me. The body is surprisingly resonant, it is not quite as bright as alder but has a rediculously sexy slap tone. The thing is that only Ampeg and Galvestone sell plexibasses. All galvestones are sub $200 chinese made basses, and ampeg sells reissues of the plexibass for a large amount. If you can find a vintage ampeg plexibass for a good price you would be lucky, the fetch a very high pricetag as well.

As for Steinberger, I have yet to play one, but everyone who has played them really has the same opinion about them. They are phenominal basses, but the lack of a normal shape and headstock is offputting. If you can stand the look it is a great bass.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by Ivanator

OH SNAP, THEFITZ.

Doesn't count. He had a Gibson EB neck pickup on that thing and some other mods rendering it nothing like a ric.
Quote by atreyurock9

IIRC Cliff used a MODDED Rickenbacker 4001 for Kill 'em All.

On topic: Ibanez?

EDIT: Bollocks, I just noticed watchingmefall beat me.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Last edited by Vampire 255 at Jan 3, 2009,
Make one made from metal. Steel, aluminium, Lead, the works.
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
Quote by FenrirXE
Make one made from metal. Steel, aluminium, Lead, the works.

Lead? That bass would weigh an absolute ton.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
It would have to go on the bridge then, what with those heavy-as-hell Badasses for? :P
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
Quote by Vampire 255
IIRC Cliff used a MODDED Rickenbacker 4001 for Kill 'em All.

wrong, he didnt mod it untill the pickups broke, which was AFTER he recorded kill-em all
Page 1 of 2