Page 1 of 2
couple questions,
what kind of paint/finish is needed to repaint a guitar that is already painted?
what would need to be done to it so I could paint the body(neck is bolt on)?
Is is a simple task to paint it?
would I be better off getting a profesional to do it(im not good at this kinda stuff)?
how much would it cost to have someone repaint my guitar?

thanks a bunch, by the way its a cort M520

also the painting/refinishing sticky didnt help me much, maybe its just too much info for me to take in at one time, but i just kinda wanted quick specifics
Last edited by eberg2 at Dec 30, 2008,
Quote by eberg2
couple questions,
what kind of paint/finish is needed to repaint a guitar that is already painted?
what would need to be done to it so I could paint the body(neck is bolt on)?
Is is a simple task to paint it?
would I be better off getting a profesional to do it(im not good at this kinda stuff)?
how much would it cost to have someone repaint my guitar?

thanks a bunch, by the way its a cort M520

also the painting/refinishing sticky didnt help me much, maybe its just too much info for me to take in at one time, but i just kinda wanted quick specifics
Acrylic Lacquer or Nitrocellulose

Remove all the hardware and sand.

Doesn't look like it's going to be simple for you. Usually, people read, then re-read most tutorials, several times to totally understand the process.

Good Luck.

Quote by Ippon
Acrylic Lacquer or Nitrocellulose

Remove all the hardware and sand.

Doesn't look like it's going to be simple for you. Usually, people read, then re-read most tutorials, several times to totally understand the process.

Good Luck.

ya i know id have to reread it many times, lol, I dont have the guitar yet haha, but i just wanted to get like a basic idea of what I would have to do, christ, i think ill buy the guitar save and go somewhere and have it painted, this seems a bit over my head hahaha, im not too much of an artist, probaly why i picked up the guitar in the first place, but o well thanks, also anyone know how much is would cost to have someone do kind of a unique looking not your average psychadelic swirly kinda streakky kinda thing???
I have no idea how much a pro will typically charge for a specific design, assuming you have one in mind already. However, the 2 basic requirements to re-finish a guitar are:
1. Basic reading and comprehension; and,
2. Opposable thumbs.

You should not give up too easily. Modding will teach you a lot of things about guitars and yourself.

Quote by Ippon
I have no idea how much a pro will typically charge for a specific design, assuming you have one in mind already. However, the 2 basic requirements to re-finish a guitar are:
1. Basic reading and comprehension; and,
2. Opposable thumbs.

You should not give up too easily. Modding will teach you a lot of things about guitars and yourself.

lol, haha, well i didnt really have a design in mind just kind of a generic swirl kinda deal, but, umm... i could probaly handle the painting, but i definately couldnt re hook all the elecrtic stuff up, i couldnt even put my own pickups in lol, so i could probaly handle taking everything off, but also, the guitar im gonna have is gonna have a set neck wich will now make it harder probably

allright, new set of questions
I can [probably handle takin the guitar apart

how much would it cost to have someone paint a generic swirl design?
how much would it cost to have someone put the guitar back together?
A swirl design, anywhere from $600 - $1000 bucks, and to put it back together... probably the cost of a set up plus labour time. Figure $70 to be safe.

All could be done in your garage for about $50....
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
A swirl design, anywhere from $600 - $1000 bucks, and to put it back together... probably the cost of a set up plus labour time. Figure $70 to be safe.

All could be done in your garage for about $50....

this.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
What otter said. thats why its important to learn these things!! You can save money and learn some new skills
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
ryan

no offense to the TS
but im very sick to death of all the people getting other people to do everything for them,.do it yourself.i will prob buy very few new guitars ever again, since i've caught the build bug.
i take pride in my work, and sure i make mistakes, but that's how you learn.
plus this is GB&C, where you do the work, not "let me ask this, so i can take it to some other guy to do it for me"

/end rant
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by metalwarrior40
ryan

no offense to the TS
but im very sick to death of all the people getting other people to do everything for them,.do it yourself.i will prob buy very few new guitars ever again, since i've caught the build bug.
i take pride in my work, and sure i make mistakes, but that's how you learn.
plus this is GB&C, where you do the work, not "let me ask this, so i can take it to some other guy to do it for me"

/end rant

dude i was thinking the same thing. I applaud you
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Quote by RabbidWolf
dude i was thinking the same thing. I applaud you

lol, well, i know i gotta learn some stuff, like i could set up a guitar myself, but im just awful when it comes to pretty much anything that involves building or putting somethin together, i was never any good at building legos, i almost failed 8 grade wood shop, see the pattern here, i mean now that i see its what the one dude said"600 -1000 $$$" to have someone paint it im gonna do it myself, but ill probably wind up taking it to someone to put it back together, i wouldnt wanna screw up a nice guitar, if it was a piece of **** guitar id try to do it myself, but ya know, its not really an expensive one but its pretty damn nice

but be expecting some questions in the future and thanks

o also, how would one go about painting the back of the neck too???

o and do you have to like put some type of clear coat or somethin over the paint after it is painted??

also if you got nothin better to do could someone, give me like a basic list of what im gonna need to paint it
that would be awesome thanks,
ie.... paint, brush, masking tape, cardboard....... obviously these are probably wrongbut you get the idea???

tahnks again
Last edited by eberg2 at Dec 31, 2008,
You paint the neck the same way as you paint the body.

Sand it down to bare wood, apply sanding sealer, paint, and clear coat.

Yes, you need to put a clear coat over the finish for the best glossiness and protection.

No, you don't use a brush .

Use spray paint cans, acryllic lacquer or nitrocellulose lacquer only.

Use Google and the stickied thread in this forum to help you more. I'm not going to spend twenty minutes writing what has already been written.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
You paint the neck the same way as you paint the body.

Sand it down to bare wood, apply sanding sealer, paint, and clear coat.

Yes, you need to put a clear coat over the finish for the best glossiness and protection.

No, you don't use a brush .

Use spray paint cans, acryllic lacquer or nitrocellulose lacquer only.

Use Google and the stickied thread in this forum to help you more. I'm not going to spend twenty minutes writing what has already been written.

allright thanks a bunch, i looked through the sticky again and bassically it seemed to vague for just finding the basic info, it just had like how to do it, not what you need to do it, also, would i start by painting it white after getting the original paint off??

o and if i use the heat way like in the sticky, would i need the sanding sealer???
Quote by Ippon
Sanding sealer/Primer first, then Colorcoat, and finally ClearCoat. Check out the mods of GB&C regulars.

allright, so tell me if i got this right, i want a swirl paint job,

so first,
take guitar apart,
take original paint off, i would sand,
once its all off, apply primer,
then dip guitar into swirled paint,
then clear coat,
then put it all back together?
Quote by Ippon
Yep! Make sure you understand the time required/necessary for each step. That's where the tutorials come in.

Swirling video: http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/tonygayter/?action=view&current=swirling.flv
Tutorial: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/swirled.htm

IpponEdit: Don't forget the buffing/polishing.

allright thanks man, well wish me luck, ill probaly be doing this within the next month or to, i might not get to it in january due to lack of cash, but therell probably be some more threads or another thread with some dumb questions from me lol, eh maybe ill just bump this one down the road a bit, o well, thanks for your help and wish me luck
(im gonna need the luck )
oops sorry haha, just thought of something,

since its a set neck and i cant take it off, how would I dip the guitar and just paint the body without getting the fret board??
Using waterproof tape and plastic, I would tape on a sort of bag around the neck.

Regular masking tape and paper won't work so, so use things that are waterproof, and make sure they are durable and thick enough not to tear easily.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
I'm about to try to paint a guitar too

^Otter, does the 100GBP build have to be from scratch or a Frankenstein? Cause I have a freind who has an old First Act sitting in pieces in his room (we got bored ) and I would love to use that body and neck. Also, do you have to use any particular type of primer?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by Øttər
Using waterproof tape and plastic, I would tape on a sort of bag around the neck.

Regular masking tape and paper won't work so, so use things that are waterproof, and make sure they are durable and thick enough not to tear easily.

hmm.. by plastic do you mean like, that kinda flexible plastic or like hard plastic???

and what is water proof tape, like would duct tape work???its probaly not water proof

also, i dont really care about this guitar that im usin as my test , but i dont have a soldering iron, my dad said i needed it to melt the welded part holding the pickup together to get the wire out, so i just cut it, could i just splice the wire i cut when i wanna put it back together??? thanks

update on test guitar------------ well i started my test guitar, i only screwed one thing up takin all the electronics out, i found out that you dont wanna sand indoors
Classickrocker, no it doesn't need to be from scratch. Just don't call it a build, call it a project.

Eberg2, yes I mean soft plastic, like a bag or a shower curtain. That way you can keep liquid away from the fretboard.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
Classickrocker, no it doesn't need to be from scratch. Just don't call it a build, call it a project.

Eberg2, yes I mean soft plastic, like a bag or a shower curtain. That way you can keep liquid away from the fretboard.

allright but what kinda tape, like i donno what kinda tape would be water proof, is duct tape water proof???
havin these questions answered by tomorow would be awesome,,,, please answer them lol, its when im gettin to home depot
You can actually get a soldering iron from Radio Shack for about $10. Seriously.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Yah, you need a soldering iron.

They are inexpensive, and if you just twist your wires together, bad things happen.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
Yah, you need a soldering iron.

They are inexpensive, and if you just twist your wires together, bad things happen.

are there like different types of soldering irons that would be better for guitars or whatever?? i honestly know nothing about them at all lol,

what bad would happen by not really twsting but basically making sure theyre touching then put new rubber around the cut part(for the pickups only)??
Um...as far as I know, a soldering iron is a soldering iron. They're mostly used for this exact purpose: soldering together electronic wiring, which, in essence, is really all that you're going to be doing.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Um...as far as I know, a soldering iron is a soldering iron. They're mostly used for this exact purpose: soldering together electronic wiring, which, in essence, is really all that you're going to be doing.

allright, haha, maybe i will have to get one lol, it would probaly make things a lot easier,

allright, since i didnt go to home depot today

lets make a list of crap i need here

sand paper - not finished yet, i got about a quarter of it sanded with i think 120 grit lol, it was pretty damn slow goin ahaha

soldering iron

plastic

duct tape?(or a type of water proof tape, i donno if duct tape is water proof)

primer

accrylic lacquer

clear coat

is that all the crap i will need???

well for the swirl i guess id need the bin to dip in and borax???

where to i get borax at?
Last edited by eberg2 at Jan 2, 2009,
also, will normal spray paint work like over primer i guess or sanding sealer(I think theyre the same thing?), but would normal spray paint work if i wanted to do like an EVH kinda thing, im just gonna do like random stripes lol

i wanna see wich will look cooler and i only have one guitar to experiment with, so i was thinkin of doing the swirl and just dipping half of the guitar, then letting the swirl dry then doing like random striped and stuff on the other half

would that be possible???
Quote by eberg2
also, will normal spray paint work like over primer i guess or sanding sealer(I think theyre the same thing?), but would normal spray paint work if i wanted to do like an EVH kinda thing, im just gonna do like random stripes lol

i wanna see wich will look cooler and i only have one guitar to experiment with, so i was thinkin of doing the swirl and just dipping half of the guitar, then letting the swirl dry then doing like random striped and stuff on the other half

would that be possible???
It's possible. Just remember to stay within the same paint family for the portion you're doing in swirl and the portion you're doing in stripes. TBH, I'd stick to a consistent design theme instead of 2 ... simpler and more elegant, an opinion. But it's your guitar.

Ist is the basecoat: Primer/Sanding Sealer, 2nd is the Colorcoat, 3rd is the Clearcoat, and finally, the buffing/polishing.

Quote by Ippon
It's possible. Just remember to stay within the same paint family for the portion you're doing in swirl and the portion you're doing in stripes. TBH, I'd stick to a consistent design theme instead of 2 ... simpler and more elegant, an opinion. But it's your guitar.

Ist is the basecoat: Primer/Sanding Sealer, 2nd is the Colorcoat, 3rd is the Clearcoat, and finally, the buffing/polishing.

wel this isnt like the actual guitar im gonna use lol, this is the one im testing everything on, and i wanted to see wich one looked better, or if it looked cool split in half like that, but whatever lol, allright, thanks for the help

will all paint float on top of the water like the tutorial thing said???
Very few people have mentioned Primer (yes Ippon, I know you did!).

All sanding sealer does, is (hopefully) fill the grain and seal it, so subsequent layers don't absorb into the wood and allow you to sand it smooth, without fibres sticking up.
That's it.

Then you need to add a Primer coat, which will adhere to the substrate (sealed body).
Then, if you want to do it properly, you should use a Primer Sealer (not sanding sealer) over the Primer to act as a bond between it and the colour coats. It also stops colour coats sinking into the primer, which reduces overall gloss, it also helps prevent bleed through and you can usually tint them to better match the colour coat, so using less colour coat.

If you use a good Primer Sealer (2 Pack) you may be able to get away with the regular Primer stage, or even sanding back to the wood.
Quote by Skeet UK
Very few people have mentioned Primer (yes Ippon, I know you did!).

All sanding sealer does, is (hopefully) fill the grain and seal it, so subsequent layers don't absorb into the wood and allow you to sand it smooth, without fibres sticking up.
That's it.

Then you need to add a Primer coat, which will adhere to the substrate (sealed body).
Then, if you want to do it properly, you should use a Primer Sealer (not sanding sealer) over the Primer to act as a bond between it and the colour coats. It also stops colour coats sinking into the primer, which reduces overall gloss, it also helps prevent bleed through and you can usually tint them to better match the colour coat, so using less colour coat.

If you use a good Primer Sealer (2 Pack) you may be able to get away with the regular Primer stage, or even sanding back to the wood.

i did not understand anything you said past "All sanding sealer does, is (hopefully) fill the grain and seal it,"

and isnt that all that is really nesacary??
Oh, by the way, don't use duct tape. It's way too strong for your use. Get some sort of plastic tape.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Oh, by the way, don't use duct tape. It's way too strong for your use. Get some sort of plastic tape.

allright, i was just gonna use it to tape the plastic around the neck, then masking tape if i decide to do the stripes on half of it
Yeah, but if the tape touches any wood on the neck it will lead to certain death. And by that I mean a big sticky mess of duct tape adhesive.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by eberg2
i did not understand anything you said past "All sanding sealer does, is (hopefully) fill the grain and seal it,"

and isnt that all that is really nesacary??

I'm afraid I cannot be responsible for your inability to understand what I type, I type in English for the most part. I suggest that you acquire a dictionary and look up any words you don't know

If you do a SEARCH on my username, then display as THREADS, look for any painting type ones and you will come across any of a number of long ass posts that I have written on the subject. Again, I cannot guarantee that you will understand them

Some people like to simplify painting an object, some people do an adequate job and some people, like myself, do it the right way, with the right kit and the best materials.

Obviously, which method you choose will depend on your level of comprehension, how much effort you want to put in, access to equipment and work area and finally, funds.

But, while panting a guitar is not hard, there are certain things that you should do and certain things that you should not do. It is not as simple as people will have you believe. There is a very real difference between putting paint on wood and doing a paintjob.
Page 1 of 2