its a good deal, if you dont get a lemon. newer epiphones are kind of iffy
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
for $350 yeah that's a good deal
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by BigRob91
its a good deal, if you dont get a lemon. newer epiphones are kind of iffy

most newer epiphone standards are 10x better than what they were even just 3 years ago

- Grover Tuners
- Grover Tun-o-matic bridges/saddles
- Set Mahogany necks
- Solid Mahogany bodies
- Alnico wax-sealed pickups w/enamel wire (same as vintage epi pickups from 60's)

the only sticking point why some snooty people would complain are the words "Made In China" on the back...but just about every company these days has stuff made in china...technically these are Gibsons. The epiphones have gone up compared to being made in South Korea for much higher labour, with random 3rd party Nickel hardware and stock machine-wound pickups.

The entry level epiphones are still crappy as ever...but getting a Standard Les Paul for $599 and a standard SG for $389 (CDN) with all those above mentioned components means that they're almost paying you to take that guitar if you were to buy all those pieces yourself and build one (the mahogany alone would be about $200!!!)
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Quote by Demon_dave
most newer epiphone standards are 10x better than what they were even just 3 years ago

- Grover Tuners
- Grover Tun-o-matic bridges/saddles
- Set Mahogany necks
- Solid Mahogany bodies
- Alnico wax-sealed pickups w/enamel wire (same as vintage epi pickups from 60's)

the only sticking point why some snooty people would complain are the words "Made In China" on the back...but just about every company these days has stuff made in china...technically these are Gibsons. The epiphones have gone up compared to being made in South Korea for much higher labour, with random 3rd party Nickel hardware and stock machine-wound pickups.

The entry level epiphones are still crappy as ever...but getting a Standard Les Paul for $599 and a standard SG for $389 (CDN) with all those above mentioned components means that they're almost paying you to take that guitar if you were to buy all those pieces yourself and build one (the mahogany alone would be about $200!!!)

I have to agree with Dave on this one.Epiphone has really stepped up their game in recent years.They've been trying out new things and innovating more than Gibson has been and it's starting to show.I mean has anyone out there tried one of the prophecy LP's? They're a steal with those features at that price.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I have to agree with Dave on this one.Epiphone has really stepped up their game in recent years.They've been trying out new things and innovating more than Gibson has been and it's starting to show.I mean has anyone out there tried one of the prophecy LP's? They're a steal with those features at that price.

We're STILL waiting on a prophecy SG w/EMG's from our order done 2nd week of May!!! They've been on backorder here in Canada since then...the only ones that have been through in my province are the Black Cherry Gibson Dirty Finger Les Pauls
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Quote by Demon_dave
We're STILL waiting on a prophecy SG w/EMG's from our order done 2nd week of May!!! They've been on backorder here in Canada since then...the only ones that have been through in my province are the Black Cherry Gibson Dirty Finger Les Pauls

I guess there's a really high demand for them.One of the small shops near me sold out all their models within 4 days.I got the chance to sit down and test out one of the EMG LP's and it was very nice.If it wasn't for the fret access issue and the non-trem bridge I would have snagged it.The quilt maple tops on them are surprisingly nice for a guitar in that price range and the features kick some major ass.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I guess there's a really high demand for them.One of the small shops near me sold out all their models within 4 days.I got the chance to sit down and test out one of the EMG LP's and it was very nice.If it wasn't for the fret access issue and the non-trem bridge I would have snagged it.The quilt maple tops on them are surprisingly nice for a guitar in that price range and the features kick some major ass.

sounds like you should try out the Futura prophecy. EMGs, OFR, set satin neck, explorer shape, only like 600 bucks i think

the prophecy SG is really nice as well, but the inlays are so ****in ugly
Quote by Tedward
sounds like you should try out the Futura prophecy. EMGs, OFR, set satin neck, explorer shape, only like 600 bucks i think

The Futura body makes me want to
Quote by Tedward

I love the features of the futura but the body style just makes me cringe.If Epiphone ever makes a 7 string explorer with the same features as the prophecy line I will thank the big man upstairs and rush out and buy one ASAP.

^^ lmfao thats funny though i actually REALLY like the futura shape.

but then again i own an iceman and a Ravelle, so i guess im partial to weirder shapes
Quote by Tedward

but then again i own an iceman and a Ravelle, so i guess im partial to weirder shapes

Neither of those bug me, but the Futura looks waay to skinny and the upper left square thingy looks too high up.
Quote by Tedward

I used to like them.The weirdest shape I've owned was a Deluxe Warlock.It was pretty cool because I knew that if Orcs ever broke into my music room to pillage it I could use the guitar to slay them and bathe in their blood.It doesn't get much more metal than that hahah.

Yep, good deal. I got a Cherry Sunburst for $400 from GC, but it was a crazy sale they were having. Snag it if you can.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
As long as you can try it out first and it plays nice go for it the price sounds decent I myself would try and get it down but that's me.

I think Epi have improved a lot over the last few years while Gibson have lost ground. I can't figure out why but I have seen more Gibson lemons than Epis lately.

I love the Futura body style. I bought the Epi Futura as soon as it hit the shelves. Being a huge Gibson fan and knowing the history of the Futura, not being able to shell out 10 grand for the Gibson Korina Futura reissue the Epi was a gift! I love it truthfully it's not much different than the Explorer a little skinnier in the waist and longer. It was the prototype for the Explorer before they made some changes. I think people are so used to the Explores the Futura just looks wrong. It has great balance and plays like a dream. I sent a suggestion to Epi to contour the heel where the neck meets the body it is a little tuff playing the lower frets. I hope Epi does a version of the Gibson Moderne that was another Gibson that was always out of reach for me.

My last purchase was a Gibson Explorer and I plan on doing some side by side comparisons.

John
Quote by Tedward

haha i got an iceman too
Iceman w/ emgs
fender fmdsp65
Boss MetalZone
Fender Cybertwin
Epi LP plus top
Zoom gfx4
Death metal (sounds amazing through bass amp)
ibanez weeping demon
Quote by Pr0gNut
I love the features of the futura but the body style just makes me cringe.If Epiphone ever makes a 7 string explorer with the same features as the prophecy line I will thank the big man upstairs and rush out and buy one ASAP.

I Second That
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest