Right. I play electric guitar right now but i'v really got into John Butler and would love to pick up my acoustic and play something as sweet as 'ocean'. I really want to learn that kind of style. What books, dvds, tabs, musicians should I be looking for to help me with this? I used to have a guitar tutor but don't anymore and I don't intend to get another one.

Also, are there any decent Left handed 12 string acoustics avaliable? Also, is it difficult to learn compared to a 6 string?

Thanks in advance .
try ocean, and for left handed 12 strings..... u can get them, if not, just switch the strings around on a right handed, and there is a different style to playing a 12 string...
try youtube covers to see the difference
When i got a 12-string i just had to get used to holding two strings at the same time and it's harder to do hammer ons and fast passages. you just got to get used to it.
Quote by darkrikku
try ocean, and for left handed 12 strings..... u can get them, if not, just switch the strings around on a right handed, and there is a different style to playing a 12 string...
try youtube covers to see the difference

No no no. If you don't know what you're talking about, then it's better to say nothing.

You can't just blindly switch the strings around from a right hand guitar to left and have the guitar do anything more than look pretty. There's things that need to be done to it for this to work, like changing the angle of the bridge saddle, filing the nut slots(all 12 of them?) or replacing the nut entirely. Readjusting the truss rod for the reverse tension(maybe).

People, really, if you know what you're talking about, post away. If not, don't bother wasting the thread space.
Quote by moominman2

I just need advice on whether to stick with my 6 string acoustic or get a 12 string?

that really depends what you want and what is your playing style. Coming off of electric maybe a 6-string will be a good choice for transition, than to go straight to 12 string. That just my opinion tho...
12 strings scare me, personally, cause I just started playing guitar, a 6 string, and that's too much already
Oh btw, Im Russian. :stickpoke

Fascinating people: Jon Stewart, Bill Murray, Eric Clapton, John Mayer, Hugh Laurie, Seasick Steve, Eugene Hutz, William Shatner, Boris Grebenshikov, Anthony Hopkins.

Hohner HC 06
Washburn EA18TS
cheers people. What songs and artists am I looking at to influence me and help me improve on my fingerpicking? The only real acoustic musician I like right now Is John Butler. Anyone know of similar bands, or any that would help me?

Thanks