Hey, I have this Boss DS-1 distortion pedal kicking around and I'm wondering if I can use it with my bass amp to create fuzz or distortion to play some Metallica stuff. So, is it safe or am I going to blow something? I also have a Slash Crybaby Wah, could this be used with a bass?

May as well put it all in one topic in case a Bass guru answers, I'm looking for a new bass, and I've read all of the topics bashing the Epi Thunderbird, so although I love the shape, especially in white, I'm leaning towards a Fender bass (Duff McKagan is my favorite bassist), so without buying his signature model which is upwards of $800, is the Fender Precision Special a good choice, or will a Squire still produce a good sound?
Last edited by IcemanSOAD at Dec 30, 2008,
Quote by IcemanSOAD
Hey, I have this Boss DS-1 distortion pedal kicking around and I'm wondering if I can use it with my bass amp to create fuzz or distortion to play some Metallica stuff. So, is it safe or am I going to blow something? I also have a Slash Crybaby Wah, could this be used with a bass?

May as well put it all in one topic in case a Bass guru answers, I'm looking for a new bass, and I've read all of the topics bashing the Epi Thunderbird, so although I love the shape, especially in white, I'm leaning towards a Fender bass (Duff McKagan is my favorite bassist), so without buying his signature model which is upwards of $800, is the Fender Precision Special a good choice, or will a Squire still produce a good sound?

Regarding the pedals, the thing is that the low end of your sound will be cut out if you're using the pedals, i'm unaware if it'll damage the pedals though. I do know that there's a guitar pedal called the Electro-Harmonix Big Muff that works for bass too, i read somewhere that Cliff Burton used it, so if you're looking for that kind of Metallica sound, consider investing in either that or the Bass Muff version of that. If you can afford a MIA Fender Precision then go for it man, but if your a little low on cash the Squire Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe series are great, they have 2 versions of precisions, your conventional split pup precision and there's the precision modelled after the telecaster, you should give them a look.
Thanks, I might look into a pedal meant for a bass in the future because I want to get a variety of sounds out of my bass to play some different stuff, but for now I just wanted to try my guitar ones out for kicks.

As for the bass, yeah I'm hoping for something that will be a step up from my Squire MB-4. It's not half bad, but I'm looking for something better, so thanks for the suggestions, the best I can do is go try em out.
It actually works well with bass compared to most guitar distortions. Give this a read.

Also, If you can find a place with instructions, you can actually mod the DS-1 to work better with bass. It can be as simple as replacing a couple of capacitors. There's a whole community dedicated to modding that thing...google it

As far as the bass goes, yeah the P special will do fine.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 30, 2008,
I use a Boss Fuzz pedal with mine. I kinda get that Lemmy from Motorhead tone out of it. As long as you don't use a tweeter with it, it sounds fine. You kinda have to mess with settings and stuff but it'll work.
Jackson DKMG with Dimarzio Evo2's
Squier Strat

Vox AD50VT-212

Schecter Stilletto Elite-4

Acoustic B200

Change of Season

fuzzyDXMG=GREAT buyer/trader, easy to deal with.
I have a boss DS1, it works fine with bass, but you do lose some lower frequencies. I kind of like the trebly tone you get from it. Probably wouldn't work too well in a band situation though.
thanks for the replies guys, it does lose the low frequencies for sure, but i can't play anesthesia with nothing. i'm still scared to turn it up using it so it'll just keep it low.
Turn what up? Your amp? Go ahead man, it won't hurt anything.

Actually, it should be fine for that...Cliff really didn't have a lot of bottom in his tone either.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 31, 2008,
I use a Rocktron Zombie (a metal distortion for guitar) on my bass, which sounds like garbage on guitar, but awesome on bass. Give my recordings a listen if you fancy hearing what it sounds like!
i use the zoom g2 just for messing around and the drum machine - you can get some real interest effects messing around with this. personally, I've never had any trouble with it, so id say your safe.