Page 1 of 2
Trying to get my action as low as possible on my jackson DKMG, I like the feel of gauge .009 strings, its getting hybrids worth it to help me eliminate fret buzz?

Ive adjusted the bridge as low as possible and the truss rod is spot on, but I just cant kill that buzz, meaning I have to have the strings quite high still... are hybrids gna help? Or anything else atall
id just like to add, i can get the unwound strings how low I want them fine without any buzz, its just the wound ones...
Maybe it needs to be higher?
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
yea dude it might just be to low, you might need to sandpaper the frets down to.
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
Quote by RHCP987123
yea dude it might just be to low, you might need to sandpaper the frets down to.

Sandpaper the frets down are you serious?

---------------------------------------------------------

TS, you may just be trying to set your action way too low. If you need a fret leveling, where a luthier uniformly and evenly levels your frets for you, NOT taking sandpaper to them, then do so but really, you only want your action so low.
it could be a bazillion little things adding up as well, the bass side of your nut could be low, or maybe there is some twist in the neck, or maybe having the frets leveled and crowned
Quote by al112987
Sandpaper the frets down are you serious?

---------------------------------------------------------

TS, you may just be trying to set your action way too low. If you need a fret leveling, where a luthier uniformly and evenly levels your frets for you, NOT taking sandpaper to them, then do so but really, you only want your action so low.

+1

take it in to a pro. don't flatten your frets.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Wouldnt heavier strings make it worse? Seeing as making the strings thicker meaning the strings would touch the frets easier. But the increase in tension might fix it, who knows... Try it.
if heavier strings work, that just means, his neck isnt as "spot on" as he thinks.

a pin straight neck isnt spot on. some play better with a little bow.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

ive given it a little bow mate, trust me, im about as anal as they come and a mechanic also

heavier strings = more tension = less slap when hit hard

im not gonna sand my frets down as I know how far my ability goes, hopefully the problem can be sorted with strings, i read an article somewhere about the perfect sets of strings someone produced? where each string on the neck had the same tension instead of different tensions between gauges, can anyone shed a light on where these sets can be bought and if they are beneficial atall?
You should at least try shimming the neck a bit. I know that Ibanez guitars cant get really low action without a shimmed neck, could be the same thing. Plus it costs nothing, is easy to do and if it doesnt work, easy to take out.
^it's a good point, but depends on which strings and frets are buzzing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Strings probably won't make that much difference, but heavier strings in general will have less fret buzz than lighter gage strings, however that still doesnt change the cause of the fret buzz. With a properly adjusted neck, and action set where you want it, if you still experience fret buzz you are now most likely going to need some fretwork, which should probably be handled by an expert. Have you tested all of the frets? How many of them buzz? I had similar issues with my G-400 where I couldnt get the action very low without bad buzzing at the 12th fret, so I took it to a repair shop and had a little bit of the problem fret worked down and now it is flawless.
Quote by jj1565
if heavier strings work, that just means, his neck isnt as "spot on" as he thinks.

a pin straight neck isnt spot on. some play better with a little bow.

I used to not believe this, but found out how much of a positive difference a little bow can make. The fretboard radius also plays a huge part in how low action can be set with wound strings without having buzz as well.
A man much more skilled than I once said, "If you cant fit your credit card in there, it's too low."

Use the plastic...
Dear diary.

Today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender.

I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me.
Quote by littlephil
You should at least try shimming the neck a bit. I know that Ibanez guitars cant get really low action without a shimmed neck, could be the same thing. Plus it costs nothing, is easy to do and if it doesnt work, easy to take out.

explain urself!!

u mean placing a spacer under where the neck bolts on?
Quote by Benjibum
A man much more skilled than I once said, "If you cant fit your credit card in there, it's too low."

Use the plastic...

on general action? or when checking the truss rod?
You usually have to find a balance between string height and neck bow to get the guitar to play its best. Every guitar is different and every player is different so what might work for one may not work for another. If the string are buzzin then they could be to low, the neck relief could be too, small a fret could be high or you could be playing to hard.
Quote by moto_psycho
on general action? or when checking the truss rod?

for neck bow.
i might be the w0man he's talking about.

so click the green link in my sig and look at the first post.

measure and let me know what you find

in addition, shimming the neck, yes, placing a shim in the neck pocket of the guitar can help. BUT only in certain cases. which is why i asked where the buzz is.
what strings and frets.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

well, ive just changed to gauge 8 strings, the truss rod is completely de-adjusted now, and ive still got fret buzz on the 3 wound strings, at the 12th fret the low E looks about 2.5mm off the fretboard, im gonna put the 9's back on... this is driving me crazy
righty, the strings are off atm, i dont see how shimming the fretboard will reduce fret buzz? surely this will raise the fretboard making it buzz more? its almost like it needs to be sanded down a little to increase the angle between the frets and the trem (yes the trem is set dead level when strung)
righty, im making the decision to shim the neck, on the neck side, and not on the body side, in an attempt to raise the neck somewhat at the headstock end, hopefully this will increase the angle the string hits the fret slightly, and enough to stop fret buzz

hopefully...
Quote by Benjibum

Use the plastic...

i guess i am screwed then cos i can probably fit 3-4 in my ibanez..... i am really torn because with the 9's i cant have low action. it pisses me off every day.

guitar is ibanez SZ720fm btw.
Quote by rich_sg
I've been here nearly 4 years now. I get no respect.

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
thats whats been pissing me off, my ibanez s370 has 10's on downtuned to D standard and theres no buzz

the jackson, on 8's and 9's has immense fret buzz unless the strings are like 4/5mm high

hopefully this'll sort it!!

also, just came on my media player (i have a lot of music on random), alice in chains - dont follow, THE FRET BUZZ, ARGGHHH in a recorded song, thats just horrific!!!!
put something just over half the size of the card in, its better but still buzzing when picked moderate / heavy

tone hath improved 10fold tho!!!
Last edited by moto_psycho at Jan 1, 2009,
usually a tech will use a shim of wood. or a thin pick. your card seems way big.

i'm not sure where your buzz is right now.
i was out most of the day for the holiday.

but after you're all done, if you want to key me in on the strings, frets, what the relief looks like, maybe there's something i can do to help.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Also, neck shims usually go in the other end of the pocket, so it adds a slight angle to the neck, then you raise the bridge. It sounds like the opposite of what you want, but it works.
WOW... award for most posts in a row?...

6. holy shat.

There's an edit button for a reason
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by littlephil
Also, neck shims usually go in the other end of the pocket, so it adds a slight angle to the neck, then you raise the bridge. It sounds like the opposite of what you want, but it works.

i just tried the thinner shim, i understand where ur coming from, raising the bridge = increasing the angle, im gonna try the uber shim and see what happens, probably too much

multi post FTW!!!!!
just put the hmv card back in, but in the body side this time.... by george i think we're getting there!!! RAAATHER!!!!

really tho, the neck was that out.... that amazes me...
hrm, still getting a bit of a buzz, anybody imagine going further on this type of adjustment or...???????????
Page 1 of 2