I was just wondering if there was a trick to getting these things on the guitar straight, I have two guitars that (my caparison and my LTD) that have the knurled knobs and when I turn them the are cockeyed? I know this sounds really anal, but it bugs the **** out of me, any pointers??? thanks
"Love doesn't exist and I'm not picking on love, because I don't think friendship exists either"

GEAR:
Caparison PLM-3
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Gretch A/E G3700
Soldano SLO 50w clone
It bugs me too. I would like another solution, but I'd say go ahead and get new knobs, ones that have a set screw and use them. Straighten the posts with a screwdriver if you have to, but be gentle they break pretty easily. Just don't crank the set screw down too hard.
in which way?

because almost every way is easily fixed.

are you saying that thepot isnt set flush in the guitar cavity?

or that the plastic cap on the stem is crooked or not lined up in some way?

or is one higher that the other?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
in which way?

because almost every way is easily fixed.

are you saying that thepot isnt set flush in the guitar cavity?

or that the plastic cap on the stem is crooked or not lined up in some way?

or is one higher that the other?

No, the stems to the pots are straight, but the knobs themselves become off center whenever I tighten them. When they spin, and the gap between the body and the bottom of the knobs are uneven. Its frustrating.
"Love doesn't exist and I'm not picking on love, because I don't think friendship exists either"

GEAR:
Caparison PLM-3
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Gretch A/E G3700
Soldano SLO 50w clone
some plastic / metal knobs just push on. some are held on with a little locking screw on the side of the knob.
if there's a locking screw, there will be a hole on the side.

pot stem heights can be adjusted.
you would need to open the pup cavity and adjust the height by using a wrench, holding the pot on inside and above and adjusting the nut holding the pot in place. sometimes adding a washer, or allowing less threads to poke thru the hole underneath.

if the knobs are crooked on the stem, adjust the locking screw.
if it's not the locking type and the knob is too big, pull off the knob and use a thin screwdriver to carefully split the shaft points a little more. OR add plumbers tape around the shaft to hold the knob tighter.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Dec 31, 2008,