I have asked many questions on this forum recently related to my anticipated purchase of a new acoustic. I must say you have all been a great help. I am on the verge of making the purchase, probably within the next week or two.

I have narrowed it down to three brands: Breedlove, Seagull, and Martin. I was looking at a number of others including Taylor, but I just didn’t like the way they played/ sounded. I received a $500 credit towards this purchase for Christmas, which increased my budget a little. I am willing to spend up to about $700 on my new guitar because of this, figuring in the fact that I will make up the difference. I have played many guitars from all three brands in just about all price ranges in order to hear the difference. I play mostly bluegrass, folk, finger picking type stuff. I do dabble into the rock and country stuff also.

I have pretty much ruled out the Martin X line, because of the inferior HPL they use on those particular models. I imagine the only way I’ll be able to afford one is if I am able to find a good used model. I played a DM at my local store that was priced around $575. I have no idea if it’s still there though.

As far as Seagull goes, I have played a few of their guitars. Some I have really liked, some not so much. And I just played Breedlove guitars for the first time today. No store in my town carries all three brands, so it’s difficult to really do a side by side comparison.

I guess what I am asking here is overall, which brand do you like the most in this price range? Specific recommendations are also welcomed as always. Even after all of this research and playing, I still don’t completely understand the naming system of all the different companies, which makes it difficult to keep all of the guitars I try straight sometimes. In general, I’ve narrowed it down to the following:

Martin: DM and D-15
Seagull: S6 Original or Something in the Coastline Series
Breedlove: Something in the Atlas Series

I realize some of these, particularly the Martin’s are out of my price range in some cases, but I tend to find a lot of variation in pricing. Anyway, discuss/recommend and hopefully my next post will be about my sweet new guitar!
if you can try the seagull 25th anniversary guitar. it's ALL SOLID WOOD. you be lucky to get an all solid wood guitar at a reasonable price like this one. if i remember correctly, they are around $600
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
I own a Artist Mosaic CW Seagull Guitar that I bought new for about $1200 dollars, I've had many people comment on how fantastic this acoustic sounds (A music professor at my hometowns collage that I know quite well said it sounded like a $3000 guitar!). To me, at least, it definitely sounded the best in it's price range, and mine came with some electronics too.

If you're only looking to spend $700, I have heard great things about the S6, especially in terms of value.
I would suggest a Seagull Maritime Spruce Mini Jumbo. It's probably my favourite Seagull that I've played so far.

Have you looked into Epiphone Masterbilts?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I've never heard a Breedlove played, but they sure do look beautiful.

I can say that every Martin I've ever heard was awesome. I can also say that every Martin I've ever heard was over $1000.

I can say that I've liked almost every Seagull I've ever played. The only reason I don't own one is because when I was looking for one, they were having some kind of production or shipping problem, so they had an 8 month backlog of orders...so I got a Yamaha. I love my Yamaha, but I STILL lust after Seagulls- perhaps, someday down the road...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Oh, how I love Seagulls. I've played the S6 Original before, as well as that 25th Anniversary Edition someone above mentioned. The both sound absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Breedloves and Martins sound nice as well, but the Seagull just blew me away.

Personally I'm not a big Martin fan. They feel too light and flimsy for me.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
rangeralex,
on any other occasion, I would recomend the Breedlove. But, Guitar Center is clearing out the Seagull 25th anniversary guitars for 399.99 that's 200 dollars off for an all solid wood guitar (only the spruce/mahogany is all solids) that is one hell of a deal. There have been three guys on other forums that have purchased these guitars for that price. I would act fast if I was you. BTW, the sale price is only reflected in store or if you call them.
Breedlove Atlas AC25/SR Plus
Breedlove Atlas Stage J350/EF
Yamaha F335
Alvarez Md 60
Gibson les paul
Fender twin reverb
Genz Benz 150LT.
Egnater Rebel 30 1 x 12
Dont know to much about guitars as such but getting into it :-)

Hey ive only played on my own for 1 yr and just learnt the basic chords and playing some songs
have not had one guy help me out and purchased an Ovation elec/acoustic from store price was cheap at £120 British money but soon found out was a waste of money and it just sits there now "doh me"

So i later bought an Alvarez RD 20S acoustic-guitar and that seems fine
a better guitar which isnt laminate top like that ovation i had got doh me

Anyhow i have slightly chipped the solid spruce top but not to deeply
by accident, anyone know what i should buy to cover this up so as its back to what it should look like it's a spruce top ?
CELTIC - 1st British Club To Win The European Cup In '67. Everyone A Scot. Hail! Hail!
All I can say is that when I first played my seagull before I bought it, I wasn't amazed. It was certainly louder, and fuller sounding than the Martin I was playing, but It just didn't have quite as 'sweet' of a tone. You know what I mean, that ideal, martin tone. After I took it home however, in a few days it sounded awesome, and the S6 really has it's own unique sound. I can honestly say I have absolutely no desire to get another acoustic guitar for a long time.
I want you to put on your pretty summer dress
You can wear your Easter bonnet and all the rest
And I wanna make love to you yes, yes, yes when the healing has begun
-Van the Fuckin' Man
Quote by jrubakon
rangeralex,
on any other occasion, I would recomend the Breedlove. But, Guitar Center is clearing out the Seagull 25th anniversary guitars for 399.99 that's 200 dollars off for an all solid wood guitar (only the spruce/mahogany is all solids) that is one hell of a deal. There have been three guys on other forums that have purchased these guitars for that price. I would act fast if I was you. BTW, the sale price is only reflected in store or if you call them.

Gd help m8 poster tke note of these prices as handy when a shop is doing a clear out with such guitars
CELTIC - 1st British Club To Win The European Cup In '67. Everyone A Scot. Hail! Hail!
i'd go with the seagull s6 if you're looking for a dread, or a seagull mini jumbo or s6 folk if you're not. the martins in that price range are also laminate back and sides, and their necks finish is very rough on purpose, and won't be cleanable. i didn't find they sounded better than the seagulls - actually i preferred the s6, although the martin wasn't bad.

the breedloves at this price range have a following, but i didn't find them as good soundwise as the martin or the seagulls. they don't have any major advantages unless you find their sound better - they are also laminate back and sides, and even at this lower price, the martins will probably have the best resale value.
Wow. This is a really old thread.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Holy necrobump Batman!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I may be a tad biased, but I would suggest a Martin. Much brighter, and deeper. The Breedloves have horrible highs IMO. It just sounds gaudy.
Martin DX1
79' Strat with original 1972 maple neck w/bullet truss / Lace Sensor Golds
93' Strat mahogany neck with Lace Sensor Silver.
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..