So i was at GC today and i was hoping to play either a VK 1-12 or a B-52 AT 1-12 but they weren't at the store so i ended up playing a bunch of guitars that i look at online through a Mesa express 5 50. Now i played it for about 30 minutes with various guitars and i found that i couldn't quite get a good metallica high gain tone. I got vary close with a Dean Dave Mustaine Sig loaded with EMG's but with all the other non EMG equipped guitars i was close but no cigar. So i wondering if its possible to get a High gain Thrashy tone on the amp w/o active pickups after dialing in the tone enough?

Thanks
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Last edited by sandman-105 at Dec 30, 2008,
You need to engage the contour on it and boost the mids. Try that.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
You need to engage the contour on it and boost the mids. Try that.

yeah when i was using the Dean i put the contour to 0 assuming that at zero it scoped the mids or does it do that at 10. i wasn't planing on using it so i didn't study up on it (yeah i usually study up on the amps so i don't look like moron not knowing what to do).
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
That's mostly because the Express isn't really supposed to be a metal amp... if you can't get the sound that you want out of it, don't buy it.
Idk, the other guitarist in my band gets a good metal tone out of it. Trick is, with contour you usually need to back off on the gain since it adds some. But it is definitely a tweaker amp, like all Mesas. Sit down for like a good hour, start with everything at noon (usually a good tone right from there) and tweak away. But like al said, if you dont like it, dont get it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
if i were to get like an OD would it do metal cause i love the cleans and the crunch i can get from it.
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
bump
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
i played the express 5:25 today, and i found it could do some metal-ish stuff fairly well. now im not really a metal player, but i thought the tones were pretty good. i mean the thing sounded great to my ears, but i was more on the everything but the burn channel which is what i would assume would be the best for metal. i would try it again, and maybe just spend a little more time with it.
its more of a nearly metal amp, it excels at other stuff though. i love the amp, but i play everything but metal. you should hvae been getting a pretty good metal tone out of it though.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I have the 2x12...it's definitely not supposed to be a metal amp, but you can touch metallica on it.

the eq is kinda strange in my experience on it...if you're on burn, put the gain at 5 to 7, trebs have a sweet spot between 5 and 8, mids below 4, bass at 4-6, no reverb doh, and contour engaged at like 8 or 9. you're best bet is to get a tube screamer or a maxon od9 to boost it into metal.

hope i helped...i'm not really a metal player, more modern hard rock is the heaviest i play. i'm a versatile guy that plays indie haha. amazing amp though, not really recommended for metal, but i highly recommend it for anything else.
Fender American Strat HSS MAHOGANY!
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
Egnater Tweaker 1x12 Combo
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 combo
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
Last edited by harrisonmon at Dec 31, 2008,
^ all right thanks for that insight i guess that next time im at GC i'll spend around an hour tweaking the amp cause yesterday i was only using the mesa for like 20 mins
thanks
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS