So I've decided to pick up bass. I've played guitar for a bit and I have my uncles out bass sitting around so why not learn. I have methods to learn (books, video lessons, etc.) but I am not sure of what to do to prepare to start playing. The strings are probably 20 years old... if not older.

What should I do before I start practicing?

edit: I have all the guitar essentials: tuners, picks (although I rather finger pick), etc.
Last edited by tipsy31191 at Dec 30, 2008,
uh...change the strings?
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
Change the strings. And you have a bass amp, right? You can destroy guitar amps trying to play a bass through them. Other than that... Just play. Learn jazz. Metal just follows guitar lines and is fast. Not as much fun. Funk and disco are great too. Just play what you want to play at first, then learn theory and how to play different styles and you'll be set.
Jackson DKMG with Dimarzio Evo2's
Squier Strat

Vox AD50VT-212

Schecter Stilletto Elite-4

Acoustic B200

Change of Season

fuzzyDXMG=GREAT buyer/trader, easy to deal with.
Quote by atreyurock9
Metal just follows guitar lines and is fast.

Its just hard to hear and your not paying attention enough ^^ ... not like you can really do your job trying to not follow the guitars either. +1 on the other 3 genres though.

At OP: Get some new strings, replace strings, tune, go for whatever you can think of and maybe check the "need songs" sticky.

For your first few bits of practice maybe dont worry about anything other than just enjoying it, theory can come a few months later eh?
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
well, I know some theory from guitar so that should carry over a bit. Ya, I also have a bass amp, I found it along with the bass.

heres a picture of it

I posted a few pics a couple months back, but I've been swamped and haven't had time to start learning until now. I think its a japanese fender knock-off, probably from the 70s
They have one just like that at my GC and it plays so nicely.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Any logos on it? Maybe a serial or model number? It looks nice.

I would really suggest changing the strings, unless they aren't rusty or dull looking. If they appear to be in good shape, you might be fine. New strings are always the safer bet, though.

edit: If the strings are flatwound(they'll be smooth), people will pay quite a bit for a set that old. They mellow out with age and a lot of people love the tone.

What's the amp?

As for learning, just pick a book or video and work your way through it, then move on to the next one.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 31, 2008,
You should have someone look into the exact make/model of the bass you have. Some of the 70's japanese knock-offs can be worth more $$$ and value than you may think. You may just be sitting on a real collectors item.
Get a new set of strings and get it setup--that's a rather nice bass you have. I"m curious about the amp as well.

As far as the worth--the Japanese knock offs that are so collectable are those from the 60s and 70s. A 1980s model, I'm not too sure about.
The amp is an epiphone 800b. I don't think the strings are flatwound, they have tiny ridges in them although you can't feel them.
Quote by tipsy31191
The amp is an epiphone 800b. I don't think the strings are flatwound, they have tiny ridges in them although you can't feel them.

Then they're probably flatwound.
are they gray and feel like snakeskin?
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Always watch the degree at which you're bending your plucking hand's wrist at(an excess amount of bending in the wrist could potentially cause future hindrance in your playing ability). Try to iron out any bad habits at the start. It's harder to get rid of them once you've learned them. And finally, experiment with a different amount of fingers if you're interested in fingerstyle as a primary source of playing. Although many players are comfortable with two, you may find three or even four more suitable to the style of music you enjoy playing.