I have a Dean AK-48 , cheap 200 dollar guitar, Solid mahogany everything, and laminate top. I love the sound from this guitar, and it has a wonderfully low action on it
And i have had it for about 3 years.

Now when i go into guitar stores, I tend to mess around with expensive electric guitars and Acoustics as well, and every time i am there i find an Electric that i absolutely want to buy, but this has never been the case for acoustics.

Is it just me or are the guitars set up crappily in the stores?

I have played top of the line martins, taylors, takamines, seagulls, and it is rare to find one with a nice action and a nice sound. A lot of them have a very high action on them as well, very high, and they all tend to give of the same sound, yeah there are slight differnces in how bright they are and how bassy, but generally its the same sound.

Does anyone else feel the same or is it just me, because i do want to buy a new guitar but damn..all of them suck?
Quote by gnomieowns
i think it's because your a Nov '08er.

you can barely talk you've still not even been here a year (at least on that account)

anyway, i sometimes feel the same about that whole thing

i havnt been to a guitar shop in ages though.... TO TEH GeeTARS!!!
Quote by gnomieowns
i think it's because your a Nov '08er.

Pointless post
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by _-Joey-_
you can barely talk you've still not even been here a year (at least on that account)

anyway, i sometimes feel the same about that whole thing

i havnt been to a guitar shop in ages though.... TO TEH GeeTARS!!!

perhaps its cause they are still "new" guitars and the wood has not aged..so they dont sound spectacular.
Relevance people. Relevance. Keep it relevant to the TS' post.

All high end guitars sounding the same? Maybe to you... But there's no way that a Taylor 514 sounds anywhere close to a Martin HD-28. You need a good ear to really tell the difference. What makes the more expensive guitars better is the slight differences. A $4000 guitar doesnt sound that much better than a $2000(just for example). That $2000 difference is just for the extra amount of perfection and care put into the guitar.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I think the AK48 is a very nice guitar, I like it a lot. But think, the guitars you're looking at all have the factory settings. Maybe you need to mess around with the strings, action, or something like that. It could be a different type of wood. Mess around until you find something taht works.
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
Quote by captivate
Relevance people. Relevance. Keep it relevant to the TS' post.

All high end guitars sounding the same? Maybe to you... But there's no way that a Taylor 514 sounds anywhere close to a Martin HD-28. You need a good ear to really tell the difference. What makes the more expensive guitars better is the slight differences. A $4000 guitar doesnt sound that much better than a $2000(just for example). That $2000 difference is just for the extra amount of perfection and care put into the guitar.

oh no they dont sound exactly the same, there is definately slight differences in their sound, mainly the ones i played were only maybe 200-500 dollars difference between them, there is definately a huge difference in price from my AK48 though lol..

and i definately understand the craftmanship part, many of the guitars are nearly flawless, unlike my guitar , but they do not play much smoother than mine or sound spectacular to me lol
Quote by BalkanGitarist

I think the AK48 is a very nice guitar, I like it a lot. But think, the guitars you're looking at all have the factory settings. Maybe you need to mess around with the strings, action, or something like that. It could be a different type of wood. Mess around until you find something taht works.

most likely but id have to buy the guitar to do that..
Have you ever tried to play YOUR guitar next to THOSE guitars?

Guarantee if you do that your guitar will spontaneously combust because it got owned so badly
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
playing guitars you arent familiar with will feel and sound a bit weird. But they are sometimes set up badly as well
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Still, the difference in sound projection and clarity on a higher end guitar compared to your Dean isn't a subtle thing.
I cant think of anything other than inexperience to explain your scenario. By the way, I very much doubt that your Dean has solid back and sides with a laminate top.
I think its inexperience. When I first got my $300 Yamaha (solid top, laminate sides and back), I brought it home and tried it against my $75 Olympia (laminate everything, and 3/4 sized), I liked the Olympia better. But as I played the Yamaha more and more, I grew to realize that it was so much fuller and better sounding.
Saint Louis Blues
Mate its because you have set your guitar how you like it and after three year have come accustom to it hence why it feels more natural in your hand compared to guitar with a different shaped neck and all that
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
Quote by Josola
Mate its because you have set your guitar how you like it and after three year have come accustom to it hence why it feels more natural in your hand compared to guitar with a different shaped neck and all that

I think this might be one of the most accurate answers.

People get used to the guitar they play on the most if they keep it up. After three years of solid playtime on the Dean, the OP most likely has gotten very used to how it plays and sounds, whether or not the guitar is set up correctly, and once he has gotten enough playtime out of it, he will be able to get the best sound out of the Dean that he can. Of course, the when he first steps into a guitar shop and tries out any other guitar, regardless of the price or quality, they will play very differently and he won't be used to how they play, which will in turn affect the sound a lot. After he plays a better quality or even just a different guitar for a while, however, he will become accustomed to that specific guitar and the Dean will have a much different feel and sound.

Relativity makes a world of difference.
crazy talking animals
Quote by Josola

Wow. One of the shortest answers on here, yet probably the best explanation.

Although, conversely speaking, I've gotten used to my Takamine's neck, but when I played a Seagull I loved it. It felt very comfortable to me.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Tempoe
When you play something truly sweet, you know it....keep looking.

lol yeah thats how it has been for electrics
Quote by tom183
I cant think of anything other than inexperience to explain your scenario. By the way, I very much doubt that your Dean has solid back and sides with a laminate top.

why?
Quote by mrvile
I think this might be one of the most accurate answers.

People get used to the guitar they play on the most if they keep it up. After three years of solid playtime on the Dean, the OP most likely has gotten very used to how it plays and sounds, whether or not the guitar is set up correctly, and once he has gotten enough playtime out of it, he will be able to get the best sound out of the Dean that he can. Of course, the when he first steps into a guitar shop and tries out any other guitar, regardless of the price or quality, they will play very differently and he won't be used to how they play, which will in turn affect the sound a lot. After he plays a better quality or even just a different guitar for a while, however, he will become accustomed to that specific guitar and the Dean will have a much different feel and sound.

Relativity makes a world of difference.

agree with you anD josola hehe

i dont think its my lack of experience also because i can get a very nice soft spanish sound out of my dean, and all of the store guitars that i try, they all sound very coountry

EDIT: HOW DO i multiquote????
lol use those commands like

and junk

I couldn't tell the difference between guitars when i first started.. but... now i can.. i really don't see any tonal differences between most 1000$ guitar and most 5000$ but I'm talking MOST guitars...

but then with acoustic-electric you could be paying for the electrics, like the plugged in difference between a 800$ Taylor and one twice that price.
Quote by BalkanGitarist
why?

Well....the minimum solid wood a guitar will have is a solid top. Then back. Then sides. I don't think you will EVER find an acoustic with solid back/sides, but a lam top.

Then again.....I wouldn't put it past Dean......
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
would they have to state thats its laminate sides and back?

it looks pretty solid when i peak in their, and for the construction of the guitar it states.

Mahogany back, sides, and neck

"select spruce" top (laminate)
If it doesn't say the word "SOLID" then it's laminate.

Sorry dude. It's all lam.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
That's exactly what I though when I found out my first guitar was all lam.

It sounds pretty good despite that though. Oh how I love Takamine.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I have a cheap 260 dollar acoustic that I'm in love with. It's also solid mahogany, it has a solid top and everything. I absolutely love the sound mahogany produces, it has a really nice mellow tone...
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton