Hey I'm into metal/ metalcore bands such as killswitch engage and all that remains. With a budget around $700 - $1000. Curious what amps I should look into for band practice / small gigs. Nothing too serious yet however, I want to buy something good that would last. I have a 120 watt line 6 spider III at the moment and have a hard time playing over drums (can barely hear it).

Suggestions on what to look for in an amp and specific ones you guys think are good.

Also I'm kinda lost when it comes to amps and SS and Tubes if some one could try to explain and clear it up for me. Thanks
You have a 120 watt amp and cant hear yourself over the drummer?? Damn, something must be wrong.

Try a used peavey 5150/6505 on craigslist if youre lucky enough to have a good one (craigslist)
Maybe see if there are some Bugera's (new) at a local store or something

edit: My former 75 watt spider III could be heard at 12 o clock master volume with the metal or insane channel, whatever the **** that piece of **** called the channels
Last edited by jarudy at Dec 30, 2008,
If you can't hear yourself over a drummer with 120w, you're doing it wrong. I could hear myself over my drummer with ease on my Marshall MG 15watter (and he played drums like a mother****er, I tell you)

As for amps, look at the stickies.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by ATRKSE92
Hey I'm into metal/ metalcore bands such as killswitch engage and all that remains. With a budget around $700 - $1000. Curious what amps I should look into for band practice / small gigs. Nothing too serious yet however, I want to buy something good that would last. I have a 120 watt line 6 spider III at the moment and have a hard time playing over drums (can barely hear it).

Suggestions on what to look for in an amp and specific ones you guys think are good.

Also I'm kinda lost when it comes to amps and SS and Tubes if some one could try to explain and clear it up for me. Thanks

Randall RG50TC seems up your street, or a used 5150/6505 like the above said. Also:

Solid State: Amplifiers powered by transistors I believe?
Valve/tube amps: Amplifiers powered by vacuum tubes/valves.

(I say tube/valve because in Britain generally most people say "valve".)
You most likely did not eq your amp correctly. What sounds good rocking out in your bedroom does not necessarily cut it in a band situation.
al112987 has a good point there. I remember cranking my DSL401 to band volume levels once, and the settings I was using for band practice sounded turd because they had been EQ'd to suitable levels of volume.
yeah i have a the exact same model spider (i hate it now but W.E.) as you and when i play w/ what ever band im in at that moment i can always hear my less than great tone clearly over the drummers.
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
I'm from Britain and I know one person who says "valve" amps.

And he only says it because our lock-up has a Marshall Valvestate in it.
Did anyone notice he was using a spider? Those cut through the mix like a butterknife cuts through lead. seriously

Go used
Peavey XXX
Peavey Ultra
Mesa .50 Caliber
Mesa DC-2 or DC-3 or DC-5
Krank Revolution
VHT 50t