i really love playing Broken by Seether on my acoustic, it's one of the only songs i can play & use finger picking!

& i was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to write things like that

eb|-2h3-----3--3------3-----------2h3-----3---3------3------------|
Bb|------0-------3----3---3-----3-------0--------3----3---3-----3--|
Gb|--------0-----0--0---------0-----------0------0--0----------0----|
Db|-2------------------------0------2---------------------------0-----|
Ab|---------------3---------------------------------3-------------------|
Eb|----------------------------------------------------------------------|
^^ something like that ^^

so, any tips on how to write that stuff?!
there is no secret to writing songs. it either happens or it doesn't. don't force anything and you should be fine.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
weird question there ...
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Ibanez VBT700
Ibanez SZ320
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Crafter D8/N
Peavey Transtube Bandit 112
Peavey Grind Bass 5 BXP NTB
Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby
Quote by fastlanestoner
there is no secret to writing songs. it either happens or it doesn't. don't force anything and you should be fine.

i understand i shouldn't force anything, i never want to force anything because that's usually when things sound bad.
i guess, im just asking how to, like... have a chord, then add extra notes & stuff, actually, that sounds pretty stupid!
i cant explain it, i guess, but im trying to ask more than how to add extra notes
Quote by _-Joey-_
i understand i shouldn't force anything, i never want to force anything because that's usually when things sound bad.
i guess, im just asking how to, like... have a chord, then add extra notes & stuff, actually, that sounds pretty stupid!
i cant explain it, i guess, but im trying to ask more than how to add extra notes

You mean like an arpeggio?
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
i get what you're asking, basically how to "pepper" a lick. well what you're doing is pretty much your best bet! learning others' songs and seeing how they got it to sound that way.

for other examples I would check out James Taylor. His stuff is filled with what you're talking about.

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fastlanestoner
i get what you're asking, basically how to "pepper" a lick. well what you're doing is pretty much your best bet! learning others' songs and seeing how they got it to sound that way.

for other examples I would check out James Taylor. His stuff is filled with what you're talking about.

yeah, that's the kinda thing i want to be able to do, i was just wondering if anyone had any tips/advice/lessons/blahblahblah/whatever on how to help me with it
well it looks like a G chord with notes in that chord mostly being used... so just take your favorite chord, learn all the notes in the chord, and mess around with them.

also with fingerpicking, try to think of your thumb as the bassist of your song, since it usually strums the thickest strings, that helps me anyways
yeah, it's really more about incorporating legato techniques like, slides, pulls, hammers, etc. and adding open strings as well.

Quote by fastlanestoner
Force it, songwriting is a skill. The greatest songwriters can write any time, any where, any how.

There are no secrets to song writing, but I guarantee you'll be a better song-writer if you: Learn theory, analyse songs with theory, learn how to write melodies, learn classical/jazz style harmony, learn counterpoint.

By the way T/S
He's using arpeggios (instead of strumming a chord, just play the individual notes of a chord) and playing full chords on the strong beats (first beat of the bar) and occasionally playing double notes (probably on the third beat of the bar, the second strongest beat).
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.