i know thicher strings give off deeper sounds and light more 'twangy' and high pitch. but are there any strings for specific genres of music? if so which strings to which genres?
i'd say pick your strings based on the amount of bending/downtuning you do

as well as if you break strings or not

IE - if you never break strings, and bend alot, get a light guage

if you break strings and play metal, get higher guage
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Well aside from gauges, there's roundwound, flat wound, and half flat wound strings. Unless you're playing some REALLY mellow jazz music, stick to rounds. (However this isn't always the case)

Then there's different shapes of the core wire, round and hexagonal. Rounds again, are most common.

Then different material for the core wire, and winding wire. Nickel, and stainless steel. Nickel produces a more mellow sound while stainless is brighter. Steel strings last longer than nickels too, and since it's a harder metal, they feel rough, cold and dry... hard to explain.

this is just for bass, acoustic guitar strings go into weird phosforus bronze zinc coating crazy chemistry alloys heh...
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Last edited by CLIFF_BURTON at Dec 30, 2008,
It's easy to be guided by knowing what string gauges and string materials produce which tones, but it really is mostly your preference and what you feel best fits the sound you're trying to produce when choosing which strings to stick to. A lot of trial and error.
Ibanez SR505

EBS MultiComp
BOSS GEB-7

Ampeg SVT 4-Pro
Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Well aside from gauges, there's roundwound, flat wound, and half flat wound strings. Unless you're playing some REALLY mellow jazz music, stick to rounds. (However this isn't always the case)

I use pressure wound (half flat) for ska, pop and reggae and I find them more suited for the music I play than the roundwounds I used before.
It's more a question of what you like more as a sound in your band, than what genre you're playing.

Best choice is just to try change of string manufacturer sometimes to test some different kind of srings, so you van hear for yourself what you like best.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Flatwounds can be suprisingly similar to roundwounds - I played a Jazz bass that had flatwound strings on it recently, and I didn't notice a massive difference in the sound. I'm tempted to give them a go sometime soon. I'm not sure whether they were some odd brand, but they felt very good, and seemed not to lose too much brightness either.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON

Not sure that quite covers it. Steve Harris famously uses flats in Iron Maiden.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1