Page 1 of 2
So here we go again. I typed up this whole post and then my internet failed and deleted it.

I finally got enough pictures to make a thread.

The goal here is to build a Steve Harris style bass similar to the one he currently plays now.

Mine will be slightly modified though to make it more personal. Instead of a red blue red stripe pattern like on SH's bass I will have to black stripes to support my favorite soccer team Newcastle United. Also I will replace the Westham decal with Newcastle United one. Otherwise it will be identical with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound Pickups, and a BadAss II bridge (from guitarcenter). Mirror Pickguard (ordering from pickguardian.com), Maple Neck (ebay, Mighty Mite), and all pots, wiring, and knobs from stewmac.com.

Here's the bridge and pickups. (sorry for bad pic)

I bought the body (alder, made in Mexico) from ebay.

Sanded it down and sprayed it white. (it was arctic white)

Sanded again, taped it off, and sprayed the black stripes.

Clear coated it today but don't have any pics yet. Will get some tomorrow and then some more later this week when I get the neck on. Don't have the pickguard yet but couldn't wait to make a thread as I'm stoked to show off my work.

Thanks for checking it out.

MD13
Here is the body after clearcoating, sanding, and buffing.

Here is two pictures of it after I put on the neck and the bridge.

Front

Back

Here's a picture of it in the SKB case I bought for it. You can see the Rotosounds and Quarter Pounders I'm gonna put on it in this pic to.

Ordered a Mirror Pickguard now so should be all done pretty soon.
Last edited by maidendeth13 at Jan 3, 2009,
K so here's some more pictures including the finished product (for now until I order a Mirrored Pickguard in a few months, black looks good for now)...

Started today with putting on the tuners

Then moved to wiring the electronics and putting on pickguard (more pictures of electronics later, friend took them on his camera)

Made sure the neck was flat and adjusted truss rod accordingly

Adjusted bridge so it plays EADG both open and on the 12th fret. Raised parts of action to eliminate string buzz. (sorry for bad pic) Does this look okay to everyone? Adjusted the E string alot and want to make sure it looks alright.

And FINALLY the finished guitar (for now)

All comments appreciated (suggestions for next time welcome to)

Thanks,

MD13
Last edited by maidendeth13 at Jan 4, 2009,
Dude, leave it like that! That's awesomely cool looking as is.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Looking very nice so far. I'm not much of a soccer fan and think spray painting what may one day not be your favorite team anymore is kind of odd, but oh well. Live for the moment!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Will you be painting between the stripes?
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
Quote by Raijouta
Looking very nice so far. I'm not much of a soccer fan and think spray painting what may one day not be your favorite team anymore is kind of odd, but oh well. Live for the moment!

I can see your point but my dad was born and raised in Newcastle and my whole family is still there so it is unlikely I will start rooting for another soccer team anytime soon.

Quote by Austin_Scharosc
Will you be painting between the stripes?

Nope. Gonna leave it black white black.

May build another one over summer with a completely different design to try out some things I learned from this one but until then this is the design I'm sticking with.
Quote by maidendeth13
I can see your point but my dad was born and raised in Newcastle and my whole family is still there so it is unlikely I will start rooting for another soccer team anytime soon.

Surely in that case you should be a Manchester United Supporter??

That aside, you've done a really nice job of that so far.
h'aye man, that's looks canny like!

**sorry

you should well do a picture of biffa's maw from the Viz on the back or the headstock or the neck plate or something.

have you actually paid for the mirror scratchplate? If not you could make one yersel mibbie, out of sheet metal or plastic like perspex - i'm sure you can buy stuff like that.
Still looking for a decent Newcastle badge. The only one's I've seen so far have been cheap sticker like ones and I want a decent vinyl decal to put on.

I did find a mirrored pickguard blank but am going to wait to order it til I get home from school in spring so that I can have the time and tools to do it right. For now I'm just gonna enjoy playing it. I'm really happy with how it turned out.
how did you tape the linees so accuratly?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
niceeee

I'm liking the pinstripes and black guard, it looks beauty.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by rancidryan
how did you tape the linees so accuratly?

I used vinyl tape (I don't remember the exact thickness something like 3/8" or close to that) but it is a tape that bends and lays down flat so I taped off where I wanted the white line. I then laid down another tapeline all the way around with the same tape at the width I wanted the black line (used my eyes to gauge thickness so its off at some places). Then masked off around the second and third tapelines and sprayed it.

In the pic the blue is the tape and then you can see where i masked off around it and covered with some paper etc.

suggestion --> make me one
GEAR
Fender American Jazz Standard Bass
EHX Russian Big Muff
Boss SYB-5 synth
Peavy Max 700 Bass Amp w/ Peavy Pro 410 Bass Cab
Ampeg BA-115T

Quote by loudog93
divide by zero records

destroys the phonebook
Quote by BubbaBassGuitar
suggestion --> make me one

I'm going back up to school but if you really want a custom paint job or something PM me and I would be interested in doing one for a pretty reasonable price probably.

Quote by badgerific
Have to say that this is one of the coolest looking basses I've ever seen, Nice bit of work.

How does it sound? I've been considering buying the same pick-ups.

Have you filed any slot for the string on the bridge? If you did was it hard?

Thanks, It sounds great so far but I haven't had much time to play around on it and it hasn't been completely dialed in yet so I expect it to sound even better once I figure out the whole setup thing etc. I did not file slots on the bridge as they are not necessary. Some of the Highway One basses come factory setup without any slots filed in them. Might look into it in the summer when I have more time though...
Quote by maidendeth13
I'm going back up to school but if you really want a custom paint job or something PM me and I would be interested in doing one for a pretty reasonable price probably.

i was joking but if i ever do ill get back to you
GEAR
Fender American Jazz Standard Bass
EHX Russian Big Muff
Boss SYB-5 synth
Peavy Max 700 Bass Amp w/ Peavy Pro 410 Bass Cab
Ampeg BA-115T

Quote by loudog93
divide by zero records

destroys the phonebook
thats pretty decent

how much did you spend individually on the body and the neck? i would be very interested in doing something like this, and i found a body on ebay for £35, but its bound to be rubbish quality wood
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
i've painted a guitar or 2 but it never looked that good kudos man i no how long and strenuous the task can be. Might look better in arsenal colours tho... jk
Keep On Keepen' On
Okay, slightly old thread, but does anyone else think that a bass like this would look amazing if it had the color arrangement of the blue tape n white body before it was painted?

I mean, a light blue with the white stripes.

But this bass looks amazing just the way it is, now you've got my G.A.S. runnin on high
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Thanks for the free bump haha.
That could look pretty cool. It looked really good when I had it taped off with the blue stripes but that wouldn't exactly go with my theme. The colors I chose are just a personal preference but I could definitely see any color with white stripes looking pretty good as well.

As a big Steve Harris fan, this is amazing.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
this is the first bass that I have ever seen that has dropped my jaw. Awesome work and job!
Quote by maidendeth13
I did find a mirrored pickguard blank but am going to wait to order it til I get home from school in spring so that I can have the time and tools to do it right. For now I'm just gonna enjoy playing it. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

i saw someone selling a mirrored p-bass pickguard on harmony central awhile back.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Wow mate, you finally sparked my inspiration for actually getting around, restoring my old banged up P-bass copy. I might just order myself a maple fretboard neck tonight lol. Also, really, a big kudos on the stripes. Looks really sick.
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
Screw the mirrored guard, the black looks amazing!
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Ok, man. This build has me needing to change my underwear. Glad I don't have a girlfriend to get jealous of my P-bass love (there's a funny story behind this!).

But, jaysus, man, you made a beautiful bass. I envy you.

edit: touch of advice: pop that quater pounder into a "standard" fender p-bass pickup cover to get a cool "vintage aftermarket" look. I did that on my black P-bass, reminds me of my old bass teacher's '60's P-bass (again, weird story here).
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Apr 24, 2009,
I hope those two stories are not related. Unless your bass teacher was female.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Page 1 of 2