Hello all you guys at MT, i've been working on learning the key of c all over the fretboard with modes and all that fun stuff. can anyone recommend some songs in the key of C in the style of Metallica, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and other bands like that?

Thanks
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
I believe Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden is in C major, but it's 3am so I'm not getting a guitar out to check now and I can't be bothered to look for a tab to check
Quote by metalisawesome
When you say the key of c, do you mean c major or c minor?

I would imagine he/she means C major because generally when you say just the letter name you refer to major (like if you see a progression of C G Am F you know they're all major except the A minor).
Transpose an entire song? I'd rather shoot myself.

Second Heartbeat by Avenged Sevenfold is in C major. First one off the top of my head.
You people need to start thinking in terms of intervals... Saying "i am learning c all over the fret board" doesnt make any sense. Intervals. INTERVALS!
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by srvguitarrulez

Second Heartbeat by Avenged Sevenfold is in C major. First one off the top of my head.

...OR U CULD LEIK TRANSPOZ TEH SCALEZZZ????
Scales? What about chords, chord inversions, and modulations?

Transposing scales is easy. Songs, not so much.
Quote by srvguitarrulez

Exact same thing you dunce.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
I really wouldn't recommend learning an instrument, especially so linear an instrument as guitar, "key by key". I agree with learning by intervals. Instead of focusing on learning all the notes of the C Major scale up and down the fretboard, focus on what gives each note in the scale its character in what context. This is infinitely more useful because it can be carried across all keys. Take any song you want to learn and listen to the intervals from the tonic of your key.
Quote by srvguitarrulez

Transposing songs isn't exactly difficult.

Unless you only know how to play from tabs rather than actually understanding what you're playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Transposing songs isn't exactly difficult.

Unless you only know how to play from tabs rather than actually understanding what you're playing.

But on a guitar you can move things up and down which makes it relatively easy to transpose. Which can sometimes be a great advantage, but it can also be a pitfall because of it's easyness, often misleading people in thinking purely shapes and not notes.

Arranging is hard if you don't understand what you play (Read impossible)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 31, 2008,
Hit the Lights - Metallica

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden. This song is actually in Aminor but those are the same notes. 90% IM song are in minor key actually. Run to the hills is an Am as well

Poison Was The Cure - Megadeth

Don't forget Breaking the Law!
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Last edited by 08L1V10N at Dec 31, 2008,
warm regards by steve vai. i know it's not metal or anything, but it's still a super cool song to learn.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by 08L1V10N
Hit the Lights - Metallica

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden. This song is actually in Aminor but those are the same notes. 90% IM song are in minor key actually. Run to the hills is an Am as well

Poison Was The Cure - Megadeth

Don't forget Breaking the Law!

Breaking The Law is also in A minor It doesn't make a difference I know, but yeah. There's also a bridge section after the second chorus that goes up a tone to B
C major and A minor are NOT the same thing so ffs stop recommending songs in A minor.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

in the presence of enemies pt 1. is almost entirely in D dorian, which is C major. great song, I wish I was good enough to learn it

edit: I realize that they're not the same thing, but if he wants to learn the patterns and shapes of C major, it would accomplish the same thing
Founder of the "Foundation to replace Jacob's stolen phone foundation of America" PM me to contribute to this noble cause, no donation is too small, or large for that matter
Last edited by jacobs at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by jacobs
in the presence of enemies pt 1. is almost entirely in D dorian, which is C major. great song, I wish I was good enough to learn it
Unfortunately I'm fresh out of flameshields.
Quote by srvguitarrulez

You aren't quite paying due attention here
Quote by steven seagull
C major and A minor are NOT the same thing so ffs stop recommending songs in A minor.

and why not? the TS said he learned C major all over the fretboard and he wants songs to practise that, and due to the fact that A minor are the exact same notes, its ok to recommend him songs in A minor.

the tonal center is different, so what
Quote by Gacel
and why not? the TS said he learned C major all over the fretboard and he wants songs to practise that, and due to the fact that A minor are the exact same notes, its ok to recommend him songs in A minor.

the tonal center is different, so what

It's not okay at all, doing that implies a complete lack of understanding as to what modes are. Modes and relative scales shouldn't even be brought into the discussion at this point...the threadstarter has just learned C major and wants songs in C major, and doing so will help him understand how the major key and corresponding scale works. It's sensible enough to point out that the intervals of the major scale, and therefore the patterns on the fretboard, remain constant for all keys so you can transpose the pattern to play in any key but all this other stuff is just needlessly complicating the issue in an attempt to sound clever.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

as I understand, the TS wanted songs to play using the notes from C major scale, he didnt say anything about modes at all, I think he just wants to get used to move up and down the fretboard without hitting out of key notes, so for that matter, a song in A minor is as good as a song in C major or D dorian.

to make it clear, C major is NOT the same as D dorian even if the notes are the same, cause the tonal center is different.

well, the TS could post and clarify if he wants songs to practice the C major pattern regarding only notes or if hes also interested in the particular sound of a major/ionian scale.

happy new year UG! lol
Quote by Gacel
as I understand, the TS wanted songs to play using the notes from C major scale, he didnt say anything about modes at all, I think he just wants to get used to move up and down the fretboard without hitting out of key notes, so for that matter, a song in A minor is as good as a song in C major or D dorian.

to make it clear, C major is NOT the same as D dorian even if the notes are the same, cause the tonal center is different.

well, the TS could post and clarify if he wants songs to practice the C major pattern regarding only notes or if hes also interested in the particular sound of a major/ionian scale.

happy new year UG! lol

No it is not! Knowing what place to press on the frettboard is meaningless if you dont know what you are doing musicaly. So for that matter a song in a minor is completley diferent from c major. Thats like teaching him how to do a backstroke when he asks how to do a butterfly stroke, and saying "so for that matter, a song in A minor is as good as a song in C major or D dorian", they are COMPLETLEY DIFFERENT!!! People like you cause unnessesary confusion. When the ts says he just learned C MAJOR all over the fretboard it shows he has no idea what he is talking about, so in fact, he doesnt know what he wants. Trying to exlplain something to fit into his incorect understanding is only hurting ts. Your ear and knowing what notes to play over what chords are the most important thing you could ever learn, and PEOPLE LIKE YOU are preventing the ts from easily figuring it out
Quote by Gabel
guys.. key of C includes ALL modes, whether it be Am or F Lydian.

and when i learn the fretboard in C, i don't just play scales over and over. i sit there and just play all over, testing how different notes sound when played together in sequence.

and i don't want to transpose. not because it's hard, but because i want to learn songs as the artists wrote them. transposing or tuning down half a step doesn't retain the same feel that the original song has. for example, playing crystal death in standard tuning just isn't the same as tuning down a whole step.

EDIT: Hello all you guys at MT, i've been working on learning the key of c all over the fretboard with modes and all that fun stuff.

There it is. anything that falls into the key of C. not necessarily c major, just the key of c.
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
Last edited by Jammin' at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull

Lolz report me again then.
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Quote by Jammin'

and when i learn the fretboard in C, i don't just play scales over and over. i sit there and just play all over, testing how different notes sound when played together in sequence.

and i don't want to transpose. not because it's hard, but because i want to learn songs as the artists wrote them. transposing or tuning down half a step doesn't retain the same feel that the original song has. for example, playing crystal death in standard tuning just isn't the same as tuning down a whole step.

EDIT: Hello all you guys at MT, i've been working on learning the key of c all over the fretboard with modes and all that fun stuff.

There it is. anything that falls into the key of C. not necessarily c major, just the key of c.

No, it doesn't...modes and keys are two independent musical conventions, just because the notes are the same doesn't mean both things apply, it's usually either one or the other.

If you have a complex chord (3 or more) progression that resolves to one overall tone then you're using keys.

If you have established a different fixed tonal centre, usually by means of a static chord backing or a two chord vamp then you're using modes.

Occasionally there's some kind of overlap, but not very often. As far as transposing goes i wasn't talking about transposing songs, I was referring to the fact that you can transpose the major scale pattern so you can use it for any key.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 5, 2009,
Quote by srvguitarrulez

But if you know the scale pattern and the different positions of that pattern, it should be quite easy to do so. Just move that pattern (and the corresponding positions) up, or down the fretboard as required.

???
The Day That Never Come is in C major ( or Aminor)
Quote by razorback91

steven seagull (or mark, or whatever lol)

perhaps i am simply getting terms confused. what would you call the group of notes with no sharps or flats, or the group of notes with an f#? i would say key of c and key of g, but i guess i am wrong.

the way i understood it is the key is named after the major scale, but the key contains all modes and chords that use the same notes. i understand it's not the same thing, but it does use the same notes.

and thanks for the songs, helps a lot
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
thinking about you by radiohead
off he goes by pearl jam
halah by mazzy star
do you realize? by flaming lips

edit: ha, nevermind, I just realized you were looking for metal songs, oh well
Last edited by slimp at Jan 6, 2009,

You don't seem to understand what keys are. The things you listed all share the same key signature, which is nothing more than a notational device. It has nothing to do with the key of a piece of music.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Jammin'
steven seagull (or mark, or whatever lol)

perhaps i am simply getting terms confused. what would you call the group of notes with no sharps or flats, or the group of notes with an f#? i would say key of c and key of g, but i guess i am wrong.

the way i understood it is the key is named after the major scale, but the key contains all modes and chords that use the same notes. i understand it's not the same thing, but it does use the same notes.

and thanks for the songs, helps a lot

That's not right because a relative minor is its own key. The key of A minor is the key of A minor, not the key of C major. They're relative keys.

If you want to call that group of notes something, I guess you would just say the key of C and its relative modes.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
ok. let me restate my question. I have been learning the key of C and its relative modes all over the fretboard. what are some songs that fall under the key of c and its relative modes in the style of iron maiden, metallica, judas priest, dream theater, etc.
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5