I tried the Which Amp thread first, but it seems this is the best way to get a respose... Sorry!

Anyway, this is what I posted there...

"I'm making the foray into middle of the road tube amps. I just returned my Traynor YCS-50 yesterday, because there was a harshness at speaker level that I couldn't dial out in both that I tried in store. The thing is, I was only able to get full price on it if I put the return into a deposit for another amp. So as much as I'd totally be willing to go used, unless something good walks into my local L&M and I get lucky, used really isn't an option. Whatever happens anyway, I have to buy the amp there.

My price range is, well, Ideally? 1000 CAD, but I CAN spend likely close to 1500 if I HAVE to.

I play in a band, that plays some gigs, but my friend has a PA system, so if its a big enough venue to need a mic, and it doesn't have one, we can mic it. So therefore, needs to sound good mic'd, and it needs to be able to play the ranges of music that my band plays.

So it needs to go from having good cleans (some of our chili peppers stuff, some of the Our Lady Peace) to having a good blues tone (John Mayer stuff here and there) and it needs to get a descent overdrive (we cover a bunch of foo fighters songs, and do a rock version of rhianna's umbrella). I don't really need all that much gain, infact, in my last amp, I often barely used half of what was there, but, with that said, it DOES need to be able to play modern rock to a degree. Nothing that heavy, cause I'm the singer, and I'm not about to wreck my throat screaming. :P

Anyway, good cleans, blues tone, and modern rock overdrive. Does it exist? oh I'm sure it does. Does it exist under 1500? not sure yet. :P

One amp I did try was a Hughes and Kettner Statesman (the Quad EL84 model, which did a descent job of what I wanted, so if anyone thinks that's a good amp, let me know, cause I already plan to try it again when I'm in the store saturday picking up my guitar)"

So to summarize...
- in around $1000
- tube combo
- needs good cleans, blues tones, and a descent enough amount of gain to play
- alternative rock(though it doesn't even need to be able to touch on metal, I don't really care for that)
- It needs to be big enough to gig with. (by big enough to gig with, I mean like, probably 30W would be enough, as long as its an amp with a fair amount of clean headroom)
- Have to get it at Long & McQuade because I was past my 30 day return, so for full money back, I had to take a deposit.

Open to any suggestions, if you suggest it, and it seems reasonable, I'm sure I'll try one out.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by echo_4190

One amp I did try was a Hughes and Kettner Statesman (the Quad EL84 model, which did a descent job of what I wanted, so if anyone thinks that's a good amp, let me know, cause I already plan to try it again when I'm in the store saturday picking up my guitar)"

If you liked the HaK, take it. There are amazing amps. Made in Germany
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Fender Hot Rod Deville is what I have, and from what I understand in your post, it has all those sounds, with a little bit of blues growl, nice cleans, reverb, and a "more gain" button for some modern rock. Hell, i've even played metal on it and it sounds good, but thats with full drive and the more gain button. I'd check it out, my 2x12 version, which is about 100W i think, was just under 800 bucks, and I've gigged with it, and its really reliable. When I went into my guitar store, everyone there recommended it.
I know that sounds like I work for Fender, but it is a really good amp for what you're looking for.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
You said its 100 watts, which is quite a bit, so I just want to ask if you can get a descent over drive out of it at low levels.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
I've definitely seen a few in there, actually. I'll check one out as well.
Quote by ovvyiljs
I'm thinking VOX AC30 Custom Classic. They should be around $1000-1300 CAD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI4tuvWAyys

Not really sure if it's available in L&M but check them out.

I was gonna recommend this one too.
Get the Statesman. It'll do pretty much everything you're looking for and more.

One thing though, if they don't have one in have them order you the 20 watt version instead. The 40 watt version is just way too loud. So loud that I never had the volume turned up past 3 even gigging in larger rooms without a mic.

The 20 watt version is plenty loud, and if you take it gigging you'll generally have it turned up about half way on both channels, which I've found is a real sweet spot. It'll stay clean if you play lightly and cut back the guitar volume just a bit, but it'll give you a real nice blues overdrive if you really dig into your playing. The OD channel will sing for you, and it's got plenty of gain if you need it.

The Vox AC30 is also a good suggestion. In fact, I would probably own one if not for the Statesman, but in my eyes the Statesman is better in every way. More versatile, a bigger warmer sound, and it's a fair bit lighter too, which is a plus since I gig a lot.
Engl Thunder?
cleans are like fender.
Rythem can go from bluesy -metal
lead can fo from bluesy rock if you roll the gain to about 1.5-2 all the way to high gain metal.

it goes for about 1399 at cosmo's music in richmond hill(im from toronto by the way)
I also suggest the H&K Statesman, they're beautiful amps (I was planning getting one, but it seems, I can buy a Silver Jubilee copy for way cheaper ).
Also, if you can, try the Bogner Alchemist, it seems to be a great amp too.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Quote by tenaciousjp
Engl Thunder?
cleans are like fender.
Rythem can go from bluesy -metal
lead can fo from bluesy rock if you roll the gain to about 1.5-2 all the way to high gain metal.

it goes for about 1399 at cosmo's music in richmond hill(im from toronto by the way)

+1 I was just thinking the same, maybe the Screamer 50 if you're willing too pay a bit more but it gives you more versatility.
One of the best amps in it's price range!
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Thanks for all the suggestion guys. I'll try out all that I can.

Icronic, I know it has the kind of gain that I need, far more in fact, but if I fiddle with the EQ would I be able to get kind of a less rounded more modern driven tone? Like, scooped a little? Not a lot, and I don't need to do it with a lot of gain, (and maybe it isn't even scooped, maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about) but I need to get a foo fighters type drive out of it, because I play a lot of that as well. I really loved the blues tones in store, as well as the cleans, and It'll sound great for stuff like Layla, and Rockin' in the Free World. I just was wondering if it can kinda get a flattened out slightly more aggressive tone. Like I said, I don't need this with a lot of gain, in fact, usually I like to use it where I'm able to clean up even my most driven tones just by picking fairly softly, but I do need to be able to reach that kind of tone. If that makes sense.

I'm going to try messing with it and finding that tone myself when I try it out again, as well as the other amps people have suggested, but it'd be great if you could kind of give me an opinion on whether or not this can be easily done.
Quote by echo_4190
Thanks for all the suggestion guys. I'll try out all that I can.

Icronic, I know it has the kind of gain that I need, far more in fact, but if I fiddle with the EQ would I be able to get kind of a less rounded more modern driven tone? Like, scooped a little? Not a lot, and I don't need to do it with a lot of gain, (and maybe it isn't even scooped, maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about) but I need to get a foo fighters type drive out of it, because I play a lot of that as well. I really loved the blues tones in store, as well as the cleans, and It'll sound great for stuff like Layla, and Rockin' in the Free World. I just was wondering if it can kinda get a flattened out slightly more aggressive tone. Like I said, I don't need this with a lot of gain, in fact, usually I like to use it where I'm able to clean up even my most driven tones just by picking fairly softly, but I do need to be able to reach that kind of tone. If that makes sense.

Yeah definitely. While it is a vintage voiced amp, you can get some really convincing modern sounds out of it without too much trouble. The EQ is really versatile, although it takes a little getting used to. It seems like the mids set how the bass and treble sound, and the treble control if you turn it way down starts boosting upper mids instead of cutting treble. It's hard to explain, but the amount of control you get over your tone rivals that of most Mesa amps (and is somewhat easier to use).

I also have a 10 band EQ running through the FX loop, and with that I can get just about any sound imaginable.

Anyway, I can always post up some clips if you want. (Probably won't be able to till tomorrow night though)
That would be great if you could.

I'm certainly in no rush though, I wont be back in a music store till Saturday, and even then I only have about an hour, which isn't really time for me to pull the trigger on an amp.

And thanks for all your help.