I Have an old gibson guitar which was given to me from my brother who got it from my father who got it from his grandpa of course neither my brother or my dad knew what it was. Iv done some research and im definitely not an expert but i think its a Gibson J-45. and iv looked at the logos gibson used on its J 45 and it has to be somewhere between 1951 and 1960.

But its super beat up, the saddle is missing the tuners suck and it has alot of body work to be done. So my question is how much would it cost to fix up and about how much would it be worth when im finished repairing it?
ill give you 50 for it
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
dont sell it

it will probably sound amazing

keep it and slowly work on it

idk about price though

but definatly keep it
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
dude...something that retro...is priceless...if you fix that baby up to look good. a jewel fo sho
the thing is im not too sure if it really is a J-45, i know its a gibson and i know it's some where in that 1950 to 1960 area. It has some numbers on the inside of the body at the very top. but im not sure thats the serial number. Its 9590 18 is what it says. but arent the first two numbers the production year or something like that. Because there is no way this guitar was made in 1995
Pics would help. In any case I'll give you $75 for it.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Where did you find that number and did it say anything else (was there a letter before it or anything)? And was there a hyphen?
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

Its right here i wrote it exactly as it says, these are the only numbers i could find on it anywhere

The best I can say is that it seems to be from between the end of WWII and 1951, but I don't know for sure. You might want to take a look here: http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html#serial
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

It might actually be worth fixing. However, you can't let any guitar tech do this kind of major restoration. You need a really good one. Are there any reputable luthiers near your location?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Well i live near Houston so i would guess that there would be a good one around there i'd have to look around. But how much do you think it would cost to do something like this
With a Gibson as classic as that? Who really cares how much it will cost to repair?

The first thing I would do is give it a nice polish. That old baby could use a little cleaning up. And I wouldn't refinish it or anything. A vintage guitar that is naturally aged and as close to original as is humanly possible is ALWAYS better than a vintage guitar that has a new face. It's like plastic surgery. Sure, it may make it look newer and shinier, but it isn't the guitar's real face.

And dude...words cannot express my jealousy of your luck right now.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Actually i just found something else in it that said it was an LG-2, so at least i know for sure what it is now
Just wondering, by "body work", do you mean that there are structural problems with the body (cracks, holes, etc.) or just the obvious cosmetic imperfections?

Because, like I said, if you just leave the finish as it is, then you will shave a lot of money off of your budget. In fact, unless you need a full bridge replacement, all you're going to need is new tuners, a new saddle, and apparently new bridge pins. You can get all of that in top-of-the-line form for under $200...I think.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
no it doesnt have any cracks or holes, i plan on taking it to a friend of mine who runs a guitar shop near by i think he should be able to help me or at least refer me to someone who can
http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-11372.htm
Theres an LG-2 in much better condition for $3,500 however that seems really high compared to what people on Harmony-Central have paid for them. http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Gibson/LG-2/10/1 Looks like a decent guitar that you MIGHT be able to get $1000 off of it if restored (although i agree that you should leave the finish). Still though, nice find.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Some of the people that bought it on harmonycentral bought it like 50 years ago when everything was muchh much cheaper though. Im not sure if im going to keep this guitar when im done with it though. Im not too sure if it will really suit my style of playing. We will see. And i do plan on keeping the finish, i dont have the money to anyway
Quote by DannyV783
Some of the people that bought it on harmonycentral bought it like 50 years ago when everything was muchh much cheaper though. Im not sure if im going to keep this guitar when im done with it though. Im not too sure if it will really suit my style of playing. We will see. And i do plan on keeping the finish, i dont have the money to anyway

I know, I didn't say to sell it for $50 which is what some of them bought it for, all I'm saying is just by looking around, I doubt you'll be able to get much more than a grand for it. What I was getting at is although it's a great find, it's not something you're going to make bank off of. Keep it. In the end, it will be worth more to you than any price you could put on it.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Yeah. I mean, even if you don't play it, you can always put strings on it at low-tension and hang it on your wall so you can go "Look at this. I have a vintage Gibson. Do you? HA! Didn't think so!"
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
>.< i'd say KEEP IT NO MATTER WHAT DUDE! That is like a FAMILY HEIRLOOM! get it fixed up and then give it to one of your kid's or grandkids with a passion for guitar! one day it will be worth millions!!!!
Yes to previous two posters.
Oh btw, Im Russian. :stickpoke

Fascinating people: Jon Stewart, Bill Murray, Eric Clapton, John Mayer, Hugh Laurie, Seasick Steve, Eugene Hutz, William Shatner, Boris Grebenshikov, Anthony Hopkins.

Hohner HC 06
Washburn EA18TS