not too long after i turned the amp on from stanby my amp made a small popping sound and there was a loss in volume, not too long afterward it happened again and eventually turned itself off. a burning smell insued until i cut the power. i checked to see if any smoke was coming off to see if i could pinpoint the problem but i didnt see any. would that be the power tubes or what?
GEAR
Jackson JS30WR with EMG 81/85
Dean Vendetta
Peavey Valveking 212 (tung sol 12ax7 - JJ6l6gc)
Ibanez TS9
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2

Quote by insanitytheband
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote by alexyeung
try anything form avenged sevenfold

wtf?
Just look at them and see if they are burned up, check wires and all that good stuff.
If you replace tubes remember to wipe them off so they dont have skin oils on them.
Hope its not to bad dude
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Probably some sort of arcing going on, either tubes, sockets or somewhere else inside the amp, they can cause popping noises, and it probably took out an HT fuse with it. I'd take it to a tech (and when I say this I mean GOOGLE amplifier techs in your area, NOT guitar center or the local music store). Did you hook up a load of the correct impedance?

Quote by LaGrange
Just look at them and see if they are burned up, check wires and all that good stuff.
If you replace tubes remember to wipe them off so they dont have skin oils on them.
Hope its not to bad dude

You generally can't visually tell a fried a power tube unless you catch it redplating or something.

To the TS, did you see any sort of redplating with the tubes beforehand or anything like that? Or any flashing from the tubes (or anything that looked like sparking inside the tubes?) Bad power tubes that are on the way out, they have a higher tendency of shorting out, and when they go out, they can often times take a few other components with them.

First thing I'd do is check the HT fuse if you have back panel access to it. If not, I'd leave it to a good tech. I had a similar problem with popping noises due to arcing which I could visually see in the socket (I had my chassis pulled and mounted on a jig while I was biasing the amp) and checked it out, turns out that I had a screen grid resistor lead almost touching another pin.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 30, 2008,
the impedance should be fine i havnt touched it at all and ive had it for almost a year now and its been fine. i didnt see any sparking but then again i dont look at my amp while im playing. ill probably just take it to a tech because i have no idea what im doing and i dont want to mess with it.
GEAR
Jackson JS30WR with EMG 81/85
Dean Vendetta
Peavey Valveking 212 (tung sol 12ax7 - JJ6l6gc)
Ibanez TS9
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2

Quote by insanitytheband
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote by alexyeung
try anything form avenged sevenfold

wtf?