I have a "Morris" acoustic bass that my japanese brother-in-law gave me when we went to Japan to visit my sister for their wedding.

I've heard and played fretless electric basses, and i dont think they sound very close to a real upright sound.

but, if i were to take the frets off of my acoustic bass, and slap some flatwounds on it, do you guys think it would get pretty close to an upright sound?

thanks.
Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies
I have a "Morris" acoustic bass that my japanese brother-in-law gave me when we went to Japan to visit my sister for their wedding.

I've heard and played fretless electric basses, and i dont think they sound very close to a real upright sound.

but, if i were to take the frets off of my acoustic bass, and slap some flatwounds on it, do you guys think it would get pretty close to an upright sound?

thanks.

It'll be closer than an electric, but not the same.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Depends on the bass, and if it's acoustic/electric or not. The Washburn AB-20, for example, was commonly used to simulate the tone of a upright on recordings.

What are you using it for?
Nope, no sig here.
It won't sound that close at all. Most of the tone comes from the massive scale length of a double bass, and it's massive body to resonate. If it isn't that big, it will never sound like it,
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
What are the fretless acoustic basses for? Do they still produce the same/similar sound? Is there a benefit?
^ They have a very unique tone to them that you can't really get with anything else.
Nope, no sig here.
i have a fretless acoustic (defreted myself) and it sounds nowhere close to an upright, nice try
Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies
it is an acoustic electric

So volume isn't a problem...what do you plan to use it for? Recording or amped playing should be fun. Acoustic jamming...not so much.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by gm jack
It won't sound that close at all. Most of the tone comes from the massive scale length of a double bass, and it's massive body to resonate. If it isn't that big, it will never sound like it,

That's true, i'm also sure that the strings on a double bass would have something to do with it's unique sound, not even flats will produce the same tone.
Call me crazy.

NOW.

Anyway, I recently installed a Fishman Michael Kelly piezo system on my acoustic bass (replacing the one meant for guitar that it came with) and you know what? Electrically, it sounds surprisingly like an upright bass that uses a piezo. It has a lot of the thud and a bit of the growl of a piezo'd upright. Other than that, not even close.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..