heya guys and girls

i currently have a mesa dc5, but im really not a fan of the tone. i find any kind of high gain just gets 'fizzy', and the sustain on it isnt great at all. admittedly, it probably needs new valves at this stage, but still....

iv recently taken a liking to the idea of running a mesa studio through the power amp section of my dc5. from the clips iv heard it seems to have a great rhythm tone and tasty lead sounds, and relatively inexpensive too!!

ideally i want to be able to get that petrucci lead tone, but i spend most of my gigging days playing hard rock and the occasional pub gig, so it would need to cover those bases too, and have a decent clean channel

has anyone any recommendations on whether or not this amp is worth it? or is there anything else that could do the job better at a similar cost?

cheers lads
Ibanez RGT42FM w/duncans
Musuc Man JP6, fully loaded
Crybaby 95Q
Boss DD6
Mesa DC-5
how loud are you turning it up? what cab are you running it through? I had a similar period of hate with my DC-5. Turn it up past two or three to really hear the amp sing. My lead settings are something like: gain - 6, treble - 4, mid - 5, bass - 3, presence - 4, reverb - 0 (or like 1 if I feel reverbish that day), master - 3, output level - 2 or 3. I'm running mine through a Mesa 2x12 which I've tipped on its side (I think it sounds better that way). Also, how old are the tubes, what brand, etc? Old tubes sound fizzy and lack clarity. The Studio Pre is an awesome piece of gear, so if you don't like the DC-5 the Studio's a great way to go.
i have the combo, so its through the standard black shadow speaker.

tubes are JJs, and about a year old. i have been meaning to change them, but just havent gotten around to it....

or i could try to find a mesa quad. its that mkIIc+ lead tone im looking for, but the idea of the mkIII in there too is quite tempting....
Ibanez RGT42FM w/duncans
Crybaby 95Q
Boss DD6
Mesa DC-5
imo, running a preamp like that through an amp that already has a preamp section is a waste as it's power amp is meant to work well with its preamp, not another one.

If you want a Mark tone, sell your DC-5 and use the money you get from that and the money you have for a preamp, to just buy a Mark III.

If you want to go the preamp route, sell the DC-5 and get a dedicated power amp like the 20/20, 50/50 or 2:90.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
but am i wrong in thinking that i can bypass the pre section of the DC by plugging the preamp into the loop return? and then id pretty much just be using the 50 watt power section....

im more than willing to be told im wrong on that, but from what iv heard this is a pretty handy way of doing it. and means that for the moment i wont have to buy a separate cab either. although eventually i would like to get a nice tasty 50/50
Ibanez RGT42FM w/duncans
Crybaby 95Q
Boss DD6
Mesa DC-5