I'm a fairly new player as of now and I'm having trouble finding a good song to learn. It's not that I couldn't play songs, it's that I don't know what I should play. I've played about 6 months seriously, but I'm a very quick study; I've played violin, which really sped up the learning process for me.

Here's my equipment:
-Ibanez GRG 170DX
-Line 6 Spider III amp

I like pretty much anything with a catchy riff. Any ideas?
Sweet Child o Mine - GNR

Good intro, and will take you a while to learn. I'm doing it right now xD.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

I have a pretty good tab for that right now. It hits my biggest weakness: I suck at string skipping, but I have played around with it. Much appreciated.
Laid To Rest - Lamb of God

awsome tune and fairly easy as far as Lamb of god goes...
I know, but I don't know what to do. I have a fair handle on most basic techniques, I can tap decently, I picked up sweep picking in 2 hours. BUt I don't know what to apply myself to. I am at the point where rather than learning to play more songs and expand my knowledge, I was instead learning music theory from Wikipedia to write my own stuff, which while decent, isn't always what I want. Thus my question: waht to play?
Woah... Slow it down, I doubt you got sweep pick down in two hours. Start with basic techniques, make sure you can slide, bend, and vibrato well, on guitar bends and vibrato are done differently than on violin. Since you most likely have your left hand developed from playing violin, I recommend trying to develop your picking hand.
Sweeping was really simple for me. The violin vibrato technique is left on my fiddle, no worries. I didn't master sweeping, but I got a fair idea of how it's done and was applying it effectively. I'm not trying to say I'm a virtuoso; it'd be nice, but I'm not quite that fast. But your suggestions for practice are primarily what I've been working on. I think I'm doing quite well n the instrument, but I need a fair gauge of how I'm doing, like learning a song by a well known artist.
Would you guys say Sweet Child of Mine is easier or harder than Fade to Black?
anything with metallica and as many people says here, try SCOM out, (Sweet child o mine)
Actually, "Free Fall" by In Flames could also get you some good practice. And I know that because I'm a noob at guitar as well.
Really depends on what kind of music you like but here's a few suggestions.

Metal- Seek and Destroy by Metallica. Fairly easy to play everything up to the solo.

Punk- Blink 182. All of their songs are pretty easy.

Classic Rock- Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. First song I learned

Rock- Back in Black by AC/DC. Not hard at all.

Or You could try learning music of all different kinds of genres. Each one will teach you techniques to further your guitar playing. Hope this little list helped.
Quote by ComradeIronMan
With Gibson you're paying an extra $1000 for the name Gibson on it.
The funny thing is, I like all of these bands. I think that I will attempt to learn at least three of these, definitely SCOM, probably Back in Black, and I think Seek and Destroy will round it out. Thank you for the suggestions, all of you.
Quote by Freepower
There is no "should" play song for anyone. What music do you like? Learn it.

And keep composing.

+1. And this applies for all levels of playing. Think about it. Any song you learn, some aspect of it, small or large, will be assimilated into your playing style. So you better pick something you like, unless you want sh*t that you don't like to become part of your playing.
Quote by se012101
+1. And this applies for all levels of playing. Think about it. Any song you learn, some aspect of it, small or large, will be assimilated into your playing style. So you better pick something you like, unless you want sh*t that you don't like to become part of your playing.

+2 + freepower

Unless it has it's use. I'm learning Serrana at the moment to improve my sweeping.

Serrana is basically "composed sweep exercises"

Actually all music can be viewed as "composed exercises". Most if not all exercises are parts of existing licks. Even the chromatic scale/licks (think Petrucci's lickbag or Flight of the bumble bee).

Actually I should say it the other way around. Most exercises are un-composed licks.

If you learn a song, you also will know how it sounds up to speed, and it's also more fun (read; it is fun and doing exercises all day is not ).

I'm really against working on chromatic scales and all that stuff.

It doesn't make sense. The principle of exercise (starts slow/ play cleanly/ play with metronome) is 100% true, but it's best to apply this to ur favourite songs or to stuff you want to learn/play.

/a-bit-off-topic-rant

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??