I need some advice. Do you think a guitar player could function in a live band setting, playing only double-stops? I consider myself a "rhythm-only" guitarist, and was wondering if it was pos to do this?
IDK about only double-stops, but it's certainly possible with just power-chords. Sorry if that dosen't answer your question, but unless I'm mistaken,

POWER CHORD = DOUBLE STOP
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

whats a double stop
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Hmm. I think we are on the same page...sort of. Isn't a power chord a perfect fifth?, and a double-stop is any to notes played together on adj. strings?
Quote by thementor

POWER CHORD = DOUBLE STOP

oh..
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
pretty sure a double stop is two notes on the same fret on different strings

a power chord is a seventh apart though, isn't it?

it's not the same
~~~~~~
LTD EC-256 - AGED VINTAGE BLACK
Schecter C-1 Plus - BLACK CHERRY
Peavey 6505+ 112
BOSS NS2
DigiTech Bad Monkey OD
Maxon SD9

~~~~~~
I guess what I was thinking, is: Why could you not play only double stops as a rhythm guitar player...they can be moved all around the neck.
Quote by plunkett

a power chord is a seventh apart though, isn't it?

A seventh would sound absolutely terrible. A powercord is a fifth.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at Dec 30, 2008,
Because playing only double-stops is just plain lazy. Are you saying you can't play any other shapes than that?
My Rig:
Washburn N1
Digitech Death Metal
Yorkville XM50
Guess I know more about chords than I thought! Yep, thought a power chord was a 5.th.
No, Duff, I can play more shapes than that. So, are you saying that playing only power chords is lazy too?
Quote by lefty01
I guess what I was thinking, is: Why could you not play only double stops as a rhythm guitar player...they can be moved all around the neck.

Well there's nothing saying you can't, however for variation you definately need to know barre and power chords and Maj/min open chords, AT LEAST.

EDIT: It's not even about variation, it's about sounding good. I suppose double stops could be used exclusively, but it just wouldn't sound good, your ears would get very bored very fast.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at Dec 30, 2008,
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
Well there's nothing saying you can't, however for variation you definately need to know barre and power chords and Maj/min open chords, AT LEAST.

I'm just agreeing with that guy. It's just that if you only play double-stops or consider yourself rhythm-only, you severely limit yourself as a player. Explore a little.
My Rig:
Washburn N1
Digitech Death Metal
Yorkville XM50
Quote by lefty01
Plunkett. Yes, you are correct.

No he isn't. A double stop is any two notes played at the same time. The notes don't need to be on adjacent strings and certianly don't need to be on the same frets.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
A double stop, in music terminology, is the act of playing two notes simultaneously on a melodic percussion instrument (like a marimba) or stringed instrument (for example, a violin or a guitar). In performing a double stop, two separate strings are depressed ("stopped") by the fingers, and bowed or plucked simultaneously.

A triple stop is the same technique applied over three strings, while a quadruple stop is over four strings (which is all the strings on a violin). Double, triple, and quadruple stopping are collectively known as multiple stopping.

/wikipedia
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Quote by lefty01
I need some advice. Do you think a guitar player could function in a live band setting, playing only double-stops? I consider myself a "rhythm-only" guitarist, and was wondering if it was pos to do this?

Why would you want to though?

Just play the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Power chords are a root note and then a fifth above on the other string. That's why they're sometimes called E5 or A5 or what have you.
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack