Hey, me and my two buddies want some suggestions for some songs to play at an upcomming bar show. Were playing acoustic. We've got a singer/guitar a bass player and another guitar. This is our set so far.

1. Hotel California - The Eagles
2. Squeeze Box - The who
3. Come Together - The Beatles
4. Wish you were here - Pink Floyd
5. The weight - The Band
6. Simple Man - Lynard Skynard
7. Symbol in my Drivway - Jack Johnson

Any suggestions would be a great help.

Thanks!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
drive-incubus
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Solid set list so far... how about "Wonderful Tonight" by Clapton. Chicks dig that song
awesome idea zmark12.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Also we're trying to stick to the classics. Thanks for all of the suggestions so far tho.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
here's a rather long list of music we play in bars:

man comes around - johnny cash
folsom prison - johnny cash
a boy names sue - johnny cash
old habits - hank williams jr
all my rowdy friends - hank williams jr
country boy can survive - hank williams jr
don't think twice, it's all right - bob dylan
knockin' on heavens door - bob dylan
like a rolling stone - bob dylan
fire on the mountain - marshall tucker
heard it in a love song - marshall tucker
pink houses - john mellencamp
wild nights - van morrison (john mellencamp version)
brown eyed girl - van morrison
sister golden hair - america
dixieland delight - alabama
a hard day's night - beatles
marijuanaville - david allen coe
long haired country boy - charlie daniels
take it easy - eagles
tequila sunrise - eagles
lola - the kinks
two hangmen - mason proffit
pretty woman - roy orbison
standing on the rock - ozark mountain daredevils
running down a dream - tom petty
learning to fly - tom petty
last dance with mary jane - tom petty
breathe/time/breathe reprise - pink floyd
wish you were here - pink floyd
mother's little helper - rolling stones
little red riding hood - sam the sham and the pharaohs
mustang sally - wilson pickett
needle and the damage done - neil young
heart of gold - neil young
Thasts a pretty sweet set man..... I think we're gonna have to steal some of those

Thanks!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by angusjr127
hurt-johnny cash

original version I liked better.
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
sorry about the double post, but I thought of a few more. well, almost anything from the Boss usually goes over well... and you normally can't go wrong with some Seger

fire lake - bob seger
still the same - bob seger
night moves - bob seger
Add in some newer stuff. A lot of the classic rock crowd stays home with their families instead of going to bars. I know. I'm one. Keep what you have, but for adding stuff.... you know.

The bar-going crowd is typically of an age where stuff from the '90's represents their "glory days" for music much more so than the '60's-'80's.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
A friend and I are working on an acoustic set right now. We haven't put a ton of thought into the list, but went with the 'best choices' of stuff we already knew. We're both too busy to start totally from scratch. We'll swap stuff in and out once we get going. Here's ours.... Over 2/3 of the songs are 1990 or newer.

Big Me - Foos
Come as you Are - Nirvana
Refugee - Tom Petty
Like a Rolling Stone - Dylan
Wonderwall - Oasis
Hey there Delilah - Plain White T's
No Rain - Blind Melon
Take the Skinheads Bowling - Camper Van Beethoven
Folsom Prison Blues - J. Cash
Surrender - Cheap Trick
Sick of Myself - Matthew Sweet
Girlfriend - Matthew Sweet
Wendy Under the Stars - Odds
Falls Apart - Odds
Man on the Moon - REM
Hey Jealousy - Gin Blossoms
Is she Really Going Out With Him - Joe Jackson
Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
The Old Apartment - Barenaked Ladies
Name - Goo Goo Dolls
Hasn't Hit Me Yet - Blue Rodeo
Long December - Counting Crows
Young and in Love - Pursuit of Happiness
Flavour of the Weak - American HiFi
Civil Twilight - Weakerthans
2 Days in February - Goo Goo Dolls
Steady as she Goes - Raconteurs
All the Small Things - Blink 182
Bad Moon Risin - CCR

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
Add in some newer stuff. A lot of the classic rock crowd stays home with their families instead of going to bars. I know. I'm one. Keep what you have, but for adding stuff.... you know.

The bar-going crowd is typically of an age where stuff from the '90's represents their "glory days" for music much more so than the '60's-'80's.

CT

not necessarily, i know where im from a lot of the fraternities are starting to get into more classic rock, like the one im in had a cover band of the band which was amazing. so its more about where you are and knowing what kind of people are in your area. Does the older crowd go out much? Does the older crowd go to the bar your playing at? if the answer to either of those questions is no then you probably wanna add some newer stuff in becuase chris is right the majority (even though i have a feeling this changing) of people who are goin to be there are goin to think the pinnacle of music was the 90s
Quote by dmiwshicldply
not necessarily, i know where im from a lot of the fraternities are starting to get into more classic rock, like the one im in had a cover band of the band which was amazing. so its more about where you are and knowing what kind of people are in your area.

It is a smart man who researches the wants of his projected demographic. Well done.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
It is a smart man who researches the wants of his projected demographic. Well done.

CT

i try
Around here theres a mix of crowds but most people like the oldies best.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Set's looking good so far. I'd suggest throwing some up classic rock 'n' roll in there, like "No Particular Place to Go" by Chuck Berry or "Lucille" by Little Richard, that'll cover the older end of the audience, and besides, they're fun to play.
''Louie Louie'' by the Kingsmen is a bloody good one too and how about something a little more off the wall like Janis Joplin's "Move Over"?
seriously, listen to the Nirvana Unplugged in New York album. I guarantee you will find at least one or two songs you'll want to play
Tesla has some good acoustic stuff. You could always do "Signs", "Love song", or "Paradise". Paradise would kick ass. A lot of stuff off of "Mechanical Resonance" or "Great Radio Controversy" has either been done during Tesla's unplugged adventures or is easily adaptable.

Axemanchris said it right - know your demographic for the venue. Old classics can be a dangerous game of being a bit boring and sleepy.

I personally like "Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi.

I know a band that does an acoustic "Home Sweet Home" by Motley Crue. Totally sweet.

"Shimmer" by Fuel is also a good song to cross over for a 30-ish crowd. It's also a little more upbeat than a lot of acoustic stuff.

"Let Her Cry" by Hootie & the Blowfish is good too.
Knowledge of specific demographics aside, I'd avoid Tesla. I really liked Tesla, but I would avoid them for a setlist. Here's why:

1. They were basically done and gone by the time anyone who is 25 started actively following music. They will either be completely unfamiliar with them, or Tesla will be one of those later-period hair bands that that same 25-year-old probably made fun of when he was 12 and listening to Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Either way, you lose.

2. None of their music really had staying power sufficient to get them past that period. None of their songs are considered 'classics' by today's standards. Wanted Dead or Alive is clearly a modern-day classic, which makes it a good choice.

For the record, Signs was an established classic from when the guys in Tesla were kids. It was a song from the mid-'70's (ish?) by a group called the Five Man Electrical Band. It probably would still do fine today.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Knowledge of specific demographics aside, I'd avoid Tesla. I really liked Tesla, but I would avoid them for a setlist. Here's why:

1. They were basically done and gone by the time anyone who is 25 started actively following music. They will either be completely unfamiliar with them, or Tesla will be one of those later-period hair bands that that same 25-year-old probably made fun of when he was 12 and listening to Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Either way, you lose.

2. None of their music really had staying power sufficient to get them past that period. None of their songs are considered 'classics' by today's standards. Wanted Dead or Alive is clearly a modern-day classic, which makes it a good choice.

For the record, Signs was an established classic from when the guys in Tesla were kids. It was a song from the mid-'70's (ish?) by a group called the Five Man Electrical Band. It probably would still do fine today.

CT

Well put. Understood that Tesla might be a possible fail for the 25 year old, but if the audience is 30+, then it might be worth giving it a run. I see Tesla acoustic songs work, but yes, the crowd is a little older.
Yes, if it is an older audience, you could be okay with something like Love Song, or even Heaven's Trail (No Way Out).

CT

"Layla" - unplugged version if you can pull off a decent version of the solos
"What it's Like" - everlast
"A Whiter Shade of Pale" - Procol Harum (my new obsession, but not too easy to sing and would require some interesting melody on lead guitar to pull off the organ part)
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (Another good opportunity for a solo)
"Behind Blue Eyes" - The Who
"Paint it Black" - The Rolling Stones
"Sympathy for the Devil" - The Rolling Stones
"You Don't Know How it Feels" - Tom Petty
"Mary Jane's Last Dance" Tom Petty
"Turn the Page" - Bob Seger
"Tuesday's Gone" - Lynard Skynard
"Life By the Drop" - SRV (easy song, unless you play it on a 12 String like he does)

etc.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Last edited by Guitartist at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by Guitartist
"Layla" - unplugged version if you can pull off a decent version of the solos
"What it's Like" - everlast
"A Whiter Shade of Pale" - Procol Harum (my new obsession, but not too easy to sing and would require some interesting melody on lead guitar to pull off the organ part)
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (Another good opportunity for a solo)
"Behind Blue Eyes" - The Who
"Paint it Black" - The Rolling Stones
"Sympathy for the Devil" - The Rolling Stones
"You Don't Know How it Feels" - Tom Petty
"Mary Jane's Last Dance" Tom Petty
"Turn the Page" - Bob Seger
"Tuesday's Gone" - Lynard Skynard
"Life By the Drop" - SRV (easy song, unless you play it on a 12 String like he does)

etc.

that would be a funass set to both play and listen to