Page 1 of 3
Are you one of those guys who will spend all day trying to dial in that certain sound and spend thousands of dollars on the best of equipment because good enough won't do?

I'm not, I find a sound I like, then just roll with it. I don't spend too much time worrying about the little things.
Ts may i ask you what is your amp ???
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I wish I could become one
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Ts may i ask you what is your amp ???

15w Crate palomino
I would be a tone freak, but I don't really have the cash to be one.

I am quite bothered if my EQ is messed up though.

For now, my rig works.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
I've found that things I used to like sound like garbage now. though a lot of people still like them. I'm unfortunately turning into one it seems. :P
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Eh, I'll spend some time getting good tone, but I play and mess around on guitar as I'm doing that. I dial in a tone, play, work on the tone some more, play. Actually today, I spent about half an hour just working out where I wanted three pedals in my chain! I'm becoming more and more of a tone freak each day I think.

Quote by echo_4190
I've found that things I used to like sound like garbage now. though a lot of people still like them. I'm unfortunately turning into one it seems. :P

Agreed, bro!
To a certain extent. I like high treble, low bass, and middle mids.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by rawk1277
15w Crate palomino

ohh ok i thought you were one of the dec 08ers who brags about how awzzomezzz their Marshall MG is cuz its a Marshall
feel free to add me
i good tone.

that is all.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I obsess over my tone, but I don't spend a lot of money trying to improve it because IMO the best tone is a simple one. Just plug in, dial in your sound on the amp, and play.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
I'm a major tone freak.
In time, i'll probably have full bore EJ syndrome.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Absolute tone freak...

I've looked at peavey 5150s, 5150 IIs, JCM 800s, JCM 2000s, JCM 900s, CRATE BlueVoodoos, and currently am looking at the Vox AC30s.

I've looked at a few OD pedals too but landed on the TS9. I got EMG 85/81s because the v7 v9 wasn't good enough..

I still haven't found my tone yet..
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Yes, though I don't spend hours trying to get my tone, nor do I spend thousands.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
I doubt anyone on here is a REAL tone freak.

Browse over to HCAF, I've seen people say Diezels, Bogners, Splawns, etc. are crap.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
I don't care much about my tone.
I go by one of murphy's laws:
IF it sounds good, IT IS good.
Quote by mike.h

Browse over to HCAF, I've seen people say Diezels, Bogners, Splawns, etc. are crap.

those are what we call "degenerates."
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Yeah. I've heard someone say that a Splawn Quickrod was amazing at what it does, and sounds like crap in the same post

They're extremely opinionated.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h

If you think HCAF is bad, then go take a look at TGP or the LPF.

I'm admittedly a bit of a tone snob, I endlessly tweak my gear, I've spent thousands of dollars, and continue to spend money going through things like caps, pots, and pickups to chase qualities that most people don't even pay attention to.
I consider myself one, but the tones I like others may hate. So it's all relative to each listener/player.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
those are what we call "degenerates."

Well I was going to call them "tone freaks with money"

but hey! whatever :P
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
I've tried to like HC, just can't do it, waaaaaay too many morons on that site.
I think it's where UGers go when they get banned for a month just so we don't go through amp forum withdrawal.
Quote by gregs1020
I think it's where UGers go when they get banned for a month just so we don't go through amp forum withdrawal.

You know that's pretty correct in my case. I had a 60 day ban, so I mozied on over to HC.

That site is ridiculous. The threads are completely disorganized.

I couldn't really stand it. I'm glad to be back.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
HC already hates us for being n00bs and morons and some st00pid UGer posted a thread in the HC forums titled UG RULES and guys from HC posted mean stuff about our mods and one poster said that people in the GG&A are a bunch of retards
BTW the thread is in their AMPS section in their forums
feel free to add me
Quote by touji-za-nai
Absolute tone freak...

I've looked at peavey 5150s, 5150 IIs, JCM 800s, JCM 2000s, JCM 900s, CRATE BlueVoodoos, and currently am looking at the Vox AC30s.

I've looked at a few OD pedals too but landed on the TS9. I got EMG 85/81s because the v7 v9 wasn't good enough..

I still haven't found my tone yet..

I don't think looking at a small handfull of relatively cheap amps and a few OD pedals really qualifies here..

I'm not a tone freak btw. Noise freak, maybe.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
I wouldnt say i'm a tone freak, but i'm never quite happy with my tone. Just cant get it exactly right. I'm happy with my clean tone, but not crunch/lead.
when I play on my amp I just find a good tone and play with it, however when I play on my Toneport on the Gearbox software I like to mess around with everything
Guitars
Douglas WRL595, ESP LTD EC-50, 60's Partscaster
Amps
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Vet30
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
HC already hates us for being n00bs and morons and some st00pid UGer posted a thread in the HC forums titled UG RULES and guys from HC posted mean stuff about our mods and one poster said that people in the GG&A are a bunch of retards
BTW the thread is in their AMPS section in their forums

For the most part it's an older crowd over there. Similar w/ TGP. I think TGP is a good site with a lot of good info but there is some seriously petty drama that goes on in their forums sometimes. This site is very accommodating to younger players and beginners, and it's a mellow, lighthearted place (and thus I like it here), but for more experienced folks, it's easy for them to quickly be bored of some of the same generic questions that beginners ask.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 31, 2008,
Quote by al112987
For the most part it's an older crowd over there. Similar w/ TGP. I think TGP is a good site with a lot of good info but there is some seriously petty drama that goes on in their forums sometimes. This site is very accommodating to younger players and beginners, and it's a mellow, lighthearted place (and thus I like it here), but for more experienced folks, it's easy for them to quickly be bored of some of the same generic questions that beginners ask.

what is TGP???
and yea UG can be booring but that why we have the Pit
feel free to add me
TGP is the gear page.

Yeah, the members on there are older guys, with some really nice gear.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by gregs1020

Amen. That is exactly what I did.
Quote by darkarbiter7
TGP is the gear page.

Yeah, the members on there are older guys, with some really nice gear.

Some of the people there can get a little oversensitive sometimes though, and it can be kind of easy to ruffle feathers.
We all seem to have the same take on the other forums and this one - which is why we are here. But al's right that we get a lot of the same q's from new and/or younger members - so you sit a few out and don't post. And Chance, you were one of the people I saw when I posted there more often during your hiatus. Some other regulars from here too.

But to the topic just so this is only warning worthy... There are different economic levels to it and... I don't think what amp you own has any bearing on whether or not you are a tone freak. You don't need an expensive amp to appreciate tone.
Quote by Dance_of_Death
my amp has 3 knobs, two of which are volume

i just crank those and use whatever come out

i love boutique amps, you can't get bad tone no matter how hard you try

First off, the picture that your avatar freaked me out the first time I saw it. It was late at night, and I was just cruising around and BOOM! Trihorse (pun intended)

Anyways, you can get a bad tone out of a boutique amp. If you try hard enough.
With the stock speakers (Reissue C10Qs), and with my mids dimed with the harmonic boost on, my CBB sounded like it was pushing my tone through paper plates
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Page 1 of 3