im thinking of buying a new amp. i have a ad30vt vox, and its not really satisfying. not loud enough and i dotn really like the settings. Some help please?
name a few bands you wanna sound like, "metal" is kinda general
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
well, how bout some metallica, iron maiden, and disturbed. (i was also wondering how the randall kirk hammet sig half stack was?) and idealy it would be a head and cab instead of just a head.
Quote by CrimsonXD
well, how bout some metallica, iron maiden, and disturbed. (i was also wondering how the randall kirk hammet sig half stack was?) and idealy it would be a head and cab instead of just a head.

or just like a 120w amp.
trust me man, you don't need 120w.. 50ish is what you should be looking for. 120 will kill your hearing as well as the audience's, you don't need that much. Most big and small bands use low wattage amps and mic them for live shows. Some people like something closer to 30w, I personally like 50w.

You seem to want a pretty brutal metal tone, vs a lighter smooth sound.. so a 6505/5150 would be good, or a JCM 2000/800/900 w/ an overdrive in front would be good too.

You might wanna check out the dual/triple rectifier amplifiers by mesa.
Those are all within your rage if you buy used.

And you should know, combos are more convenient than half stacks. Most sound just as good as their head counterparts, and run a LOT cheaper than buying a head + cabinet.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai
trust me man, you don't need 120w.. 50ish is what you should be looking for. 120 will kill your hearing as well as the audience's, you don't need that much. Most big and small bands use low wattage amps and mic them for live shows. Some people like something closer to 30w, I personally like 50w.

You seem to want a pretty brutal metal tone, vs a lighter smooth sound.. so a 6505/5150 would be good, or a JCM 2000/800/900 w/ an overdrive in front would be good too.

You might wanna check out the dual/triple rectifier amplifiers by mesa.
Those are all within your rage if you buy used.

And you should know, combos are more convenient than half stacks. Most sound just as good as their head counterparts, and run a LOT cheaper than buying a head + cabinet.

You tell a kid that 120 watts is too much, that 50 watts (which is not noticeably quieter to the human ear) would be better, and then recommend all 100 and 150 (Triple rec) amps?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
You tell a kid that 120 watts is too much, that 50 watts (which is not noticeably quieter to the human ear) would be better, and then recommend all 100 and 150 (Triple rec) amps?

I'm talking about tone when I say mesa. I would LOVE to have a 50w 6505+ if they made one, but tone comes before volume.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
k well.. I had been looking at things like mesas and 5150's, and this may sound amateur, but i dont wanna have to do things like replace the tubes after like 8 months. (well thats what i mean the life of the tubes would be) So then i go looking at combos, and i notice the fender hot rod deville 212 and 410 and i havent been able to try it out in person, but i have herd some videos on youtube that show it has a good clean tone, a good classic rock tone and an okay metal tone. I could always get a pedal if the distortion didnt satisfy me. Would that be a good choice? It is in my price range when buying new.
Quote by touji-za-nai
I'm talking about tone when I say mesa. I would LOVE to have a 50w 6505+ if they made one, but tone comes before volume.

I must remind you, there's a minimal difference in volume between the wattages. And actually, if you don't mind going to another company, the Ultra XL module in Randall's MTS line is almost spot-on a 5150 (you can alter it as wanted with tube changes), and you could get that and a Blackface (one of the sweetest clean sounds I've ever heard) in a 50 watt head (that you can load with whatever power tubes your heart desires).

As for the TS's question: If you can try them out with a distortion pedal, go for it. I'd recommend you my beloved Randalls if your budget wasn't that low Although, the RG series has gotten some nice reviews, if you can get your hands on one to try.

Also, tubes last more like 5 years, depending on how much you play, and combos don't wear slower than heads.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
alright. thanks. im quite the noob with guitar stuff. as of this point in time i have just basically gotten what people say i should get.
Check out the Randall RG50-TC.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube