Hey UG! So New Years is coming up in a couple days, and I am finally getting a teacher and want to start devoting my life to music and guitar. So I decided to make a practice schedule up of how to spend my days.

This is just a rough layout:
I get out of school at 2:30
Read theory books in the car until I get home at 3:15
10-20 Minute Break, 3:35
45-60 Minutes of Warm up / Speed Exercises, 4:35
40 Minutes of Scales, 5:15
10 Minute Break, 5:25
30 Minutes of Chords and Arpeggios, 5:55
20 Minutes for Dinner, 6:15
60 Minutes of Improvising' 7:15
20-30 Minutes of Break/ Ug, 7:45
60 Minutes of Learning new songs, 8:45
Break, recap, mess around on guitar until I'm tired which is probably 10:00

So yeah, thats going to be my whole day hopefully, once I can work up enough devotion to do it.

EDIT: Thanks Blue
Last edited by Viking_Panda at Dec 31, 2008,
Just make sure when you are doing all these speed exercises, scale and chord learning and other dry things that there is a musical focus. Try to minimize "dry technical exercises" and always think "can I approach learning this in a more musical way?". Too many players spend most of their time noodling around with dry technique when they could be learning musical ideas and gaining the same technical benefits.
Quote by blue_strat
* exercises

Do some physical exercise too, unless you don't mind becoming a wide boy for 2009
go to shool.......
Music History Class
Scales
Orchestra and Techniques class
Sight reading and rhythms
Musicianship
Practice duets with friend
Practice solo Songs
Improv
Practice Electric guitar- improv and sweep picking and all that crap
go to bed
<\\\SuBLiME\\\> ~ ~ ~~

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him on his way to world domination ...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Sounds like you are going to be burned out in less than 2 days. It's not going to work.
Current Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson Explorer Standard
Tradition Strat
Crafter Acoustic

Peavey Classic 30
Line 6 DL4
Dano Fish 'n Chips
MXR Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MD-2 Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
well im not working right now im just going to college , so, yea it hurts but its hurt thats fulll of fun!
<\\\SuBLiME\\\> ~ ~ ~~

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him on his way to world domination ...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
I'd put theory application somewhere in there, because theory is useless unless
you know how it relates to your music. But other than that its a pretty solid schedule.
Shorten it by a few hours so you don't completely burn out and give up on the practice regime.
If you aren't enjoying what you are doing you won't do it for very long. Not that it's bad to have a schedule, but keep that in mind and try to find ways to keep it enjoyable for yourself.

Also, I don't see much music making in your schedule. Making music, improvising, writing, learning songs, etc are FAR more important than exercises.
Last edited by CowboyUp at Dec 31, 2008,
Quote by Viking_Panda
Hey UG! So New Years is coming up in a couple days, and I am finally getting a teacher and want to start devoting my life to music and guitar. So I decided to make a practice schedule up of how to spend my days.

This is just a rough layout:
I get out of school at 2:30
Read theory books in the car until I get home at 3:15
10-20 Minute Break, 3:35
45-60 Minutes of Warm up / Speed Exercises, 4:35
40 Minutes of Scales, 5:15
10 Minute Break, 5:25
30 Minutes of Chords and Arpeggios, 5:55
20 Minutes for Dinner, 6:15
60 Minutes of Improvising' 7:15
20-30 Minutes of Break/ Ug, 7:45
60 Minutes of Learning new songs, 8:45
Break, recap, mess around on guitar until I'm tired which is probably 10:00

So yeah, thats going to be my whole day hopefully, once I can work up enough devotion to do it.

EDIT: Thanks Blue

^ Not balanced

Too much exercise, not enough music.
shred is gaudy music
Too long. You have to find a sustainable amount of time. 90 minutes a day, 6 days a week of quality focused practice. Maybe a few hours on weekend days. Do that for a few years, and you will rock. You just have to give it time. You don't necessarily speed up the process by spending more time past a certain point, as your brain needs time to process all the new info and for that stuff to become natural.

Also, you need to set aside time for taking care of other business. For example, homework. I mean it's no good if you wind up flunking a year, or having your parents confiscate your guitar for concern over this happening.

Its tricky developing a practice schedule that works in a feasible amount of time. The immedaite problem is that you want to work on A,B,C,D,E, and F, but that would mean either only 10 or 15 mins each, or a 4 or 5 hour practice schedule. Luckily, the answer to that one is easy. You don't practice all of them every day. Either alternate, or better still have one or two focuses for the week that you work on really hard, then next week, pick different focuses.
Yes, and when do you intend to actually have a life.....Scrap time table....Pick up guitar whenever you feel like it.....If you don't feel like it; don't pick guitar up; find different profession/passion. However do force yourself to learn theory. If you like the guitar as much as I hope you like the guitar consider playing the guitar a treat for having learned a bit of theory. A scooby snack before and after a daring excursion into the land of the black dots.

[EDIT]

And seriously, if you do stick with the schedule. Atleast cut everything down by half and use that time to listen to music. This isn't weight training. It's an art.
i would say unless your in music school/a pro/dont have anything else to do that day cut down your regimen (acutal playing) to 4 hours. Then spend some time on listening/transcribing (arguably more important then playing---20 min transcribing will improve you more then 20 min of scales) and most importantly, training your ear/voice (unless your a singer your ear is more important, but your voice needs to be a functional instrument). If you shed that much and so much is technique, you will get burnt out. Id say cap technique at one hour, then the other 2 or 3 work on songs or improvisation or reading or anything else you have to do (secondary instruments etc.).