I want a new amp. I'm just not that happy with my Classic 30 anymore...

I want something more modern voiced. I like a big low end, and a really smooth drive. I won't be playing metal, but I'll need enough gain for modern rock. I'll also be playing blues, classic rock, and even some jazz, so I'll need some cleans and some crunch.

Herein lies the problem... my budget is going to be ~$800. I will be going used, but this price range seems to be pretty desolate... Too little for a really good amp but too much to settle for an entry level tube amp.

Either a head or a combo, but I would prefer a head. I'll spend some extra money for a 2X12 cab or something, but I don't want to spend extra for a combo. So around $800 for just a head, or $800 for a combo.

I'm playing a Gibson Explorer Pro with a Duncan '59 and a Custom 5, with a Visual Sound Route 66 to boost. Mostly for home use, but I can play pretty loudly. I gig pretty rarely, but hope to start doing it more.

Amps I've considered-

I love the tight, compressed tone of the Engl Screamer, but even if I somehow manage to find one used I don't know if it will be in my price range. How is the Thunder?

I also really like the Peavey JSX but it is pretty far out of my price range.

A Rect-O-Verb would suit me fine too I think, but again I don't know if I could find one in my price range.

It will be a little while before I can buy... The transaction will hopefully go like this: Sell Marshall JTM30 for ~$500 -> Borrow ~$300 -> buy new amp for ~$800 -> Sell Peavey Classic 30 -> Pay back borrowed money.

I would just like some advice on what to keep my eyes open for, and what amps are out their that would suit me. Thankee.

(It isn't as long a read as it looks )

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Last edited by Checker at Dec 30, 2008,
Perhaps you should change your signature in order to get a better response, eh? :P

On topic, I think saving up a bit would make you happier in the long run.
Quote by captainoid
Perhaps you should change your signature in order to get a better response, eh? :P

On topic, I think saving up a bit would make you happier in the long run.

To tell you the truth, it isn't really a matter of saving up. I've got a little over a grand in the bank, and adding that to the money I'd get from selling the two amps I could get whatever I wanted. It's that I just started college, and I had to quit my job last semester because it was just too much to work and go to school full time. (I know there are some of you out there that do it, but I'm not as much of a trooper as you) I can dip into my bank account a little, but considering I'm currently not in a band or anything I don't think I could justify spending much more than the money I get from my sales.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
How about a Vox AC15 or AC30 head? With an overdrive pedal it'll get you more than enough gain you need for what you listed.
Quote by GNRjungle87
How about a Vox AC15 or AC30 head? With an overdrive pedal it'll get you more than enough gain you need for what you listed.

Too classic voiced, and not enough gain. I don't imagine it having more gain than my Classic 30, which falls short. When I say modern rock I mean like a Coheed and Cambria sort of tone. Although I do love how AC30's sound, it's not quite what I'm looking for.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Mesa F-30 or DC-3 is perfect for you.

Yeah, that's pretty modern voiced.