Hey Guys,

I got a Gibson Explorer 82' however the original pick ups are starting to play up. Looking for some new pick ups however not sure what to get.

Sound I would be looking for is pretty much 80's Metallica, so something as close to that would be great, hetfield sound.

Play through a 50' watt Randal Tube RG50TC.

Cheers,
Glen
for a Hetfield sound, get the EMG 81/60 set; it's exactly what he uses.
Pickups don't tend to "play up".

Your wiring or your selector switch is a far more likely culprit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
85/81 are good high gain pickups, but that's all I know about pickups...

other than the seymore duncan hotrail pickups are good
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
pickups can start to play up over time.if u want that scooped crunch tone get emg's but that will cost you a bundle.you should be able to get a nice scooped tone from duncan jb's they are great for pinch harmonics aswell
No, they can't.

And you don't get a scooped tone from the JB, it's mid-heavy. There is only one model of JB, there isnt a range of "JBs" and you'd hardly ever put two in a guitar so I have no idea why people keep referring to them in the plural.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 31, 2008,
Try to fix whatever's wrong with the current pickups. Don't destroy such a nice guitar with some EMGs.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
^hey..hey.....

shaudddd up
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by RG_FANMAN
for a Hetfield sound, get the EMG 81/60 set; it's exactly what he uses.

This is the correct answer for Hetfield tone.
Blast beats and Crushing Guitars

Quote by Hultan
Try to fix whatever's wrong with the current pickups. Don't destroy such a nice guitar with some EMGs.

As much as I like active EMGs, it would definately be a shame to put them in a Gibson Explorer. A stock one sounds so lovely beefy.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Green_Jelly
As much as I like active EMGs, it would definately be a shame to put them in a Gibson Explorer. A stock one sounds so lovely beefy.

Agreed, but he wants Hetfield tone.

Quote by Brutal Grind
This is the correct answer for Hetfield tone.

to get a hetfeild tone all you need to do is eq your amp correctly
cuz pickups aren't gonna do that much (thats what i heard here in UG)

i suggest just buying a 10 band eq and save your stock pickups
BTW why dont you like your pups gibson pups rocks
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

i suggest just buying a 10 band eq and save your stock pickups
BTW why dont you like your pups gibson pups rocks

That helps, but EMG's have a unique tone that cannot be duplicated by an EQ

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

Eh...that only applies to Solid State or Modeling amps. On tube amps it has a GREAT effect. An amp may sound beefy and super crunchy with, say, a Les Paul with a DiMarzio Super Distortion, but plug in a tele with some vintage noiseless single coils and you'll find the amp doesn't crunch as easily, and is likely a bit snappier, brighter, and also noisier. Since he's running a tube amp pickups are going to make a big difference. Granted, I dislike EMGs and feel they overcompress and too easily distort an amp, but for a tight metal sound they work really well (which isn't what i'm personally after).

And a large portion of Hetfield's recorded sound also deals with mic placement and cabs. During the Black Album James would sometimes wrap U-Haul blankets around his cabs during distorted sections to get a "dead" sound that was punchier and heavier, in addition to putting quite a few mics in various locations.
I should have been a bit clearer instead of saying 'play-up'

Basically whenever you try play anything with high distortion a loud squeal comes through the amp as soon as you stop playing and mute the strings, becomes unplayable.

Have had it looked at a Guitar Repair shop and unable to fix the problem. Re-checked the wiring.

I would rather of kept the originals to keep the Guitar in its original state, but yea no other choice that i know of.
Quote by tbgame

Basically whenever you try play anything with high distortion a loud squeal comes through the amp as soon as you stop playing and mute the strings, becomes unplayable.

Sounds like normal amp feedback, although if you're muting it and it continues there might be a problem with the shielding or something in the pickups (I don't know much about electronics or anything but like, think of it as if it's not hum cancelling as a humbucker should?)

Bah, my wording sucks.
Sounds to me like the pickups have gone microphonic, which is indeed a huge pain in the ass to fix.

EMGs would make sense for Hetfield, but a nice set of passive pickups could serve you just as well if you tend to play other stuff too.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by tbgame

Have had it looked at a Guitar Repair shop and unable to fix the problem. Re-checked the wiring.

I would rather of kept the originals to keep the Guitar in its original state, but yea no other choice that i know of.

This is a simple "guitar repair 101" problem. If the people at your guitar repair shop couldn't diagnose it then I'd find a new repair shop.

You are getting microphonic feedback. There are 2 things that cause microphic feedback

1 loose windings in your pickup. This can be fixed by potting the pickup in wax. Most competent guitar techs know how to do this and it's pretty cheap.

2 you are using too much gain while standing close to your amp. Changing hardware wont fix this because it's not a problem with your guitar, it's a problem with your playing environment. If this is your problem and you swap your pickups for higher output pickups it's actually going to make things worse rather than better. Some things you can do to fix it are to step away from your amp, don't stand directly in front of your amp, make sure your amp is on carpet rather than on a hardwood or vinyl floor, position your amp so it points at something soft like a curtains or a sofa rather than something hard like a wall.
Not taking any online orders.
Thanks for the reply CorduroyEW,

Yea the Guitar Shop did say they had become Microphonic and said the options where to have them potted in wax or new pick-ups.

The thing about the enviroment seems true, generally if I play in my bedroom the problem is a lot worse - I have about 15 different electrical appliances running so wonder if that interferes?

Also if I do move further away from the amp to the length of the cable the problem goes away. This is usually a pain in the ass though as I end up too far away.

I will try the tips you have suggested see if it makes a difference.

Do you think potting them in wax would be worth trying?

Cheers
^If you liked the tone of the pickups before you started having problems with microphonics then it could be worth getting them repotted. Otherwise I'd switch them for EMG's.
Not taking any online orders.