Ok so my next guitar will definitely be a fender strat, but I'm just not sure which one to get. These are the requirements:

Made in USA
Nitrocellulose finish
I like maple necks but I guess it is not a requirement
decent stock pups/hardware

these are the strats i have considered:

Highway One:
Seems to be a bit iffy. meets all requirements but I'm still not sure about the stock pickups and such. I guess these come down to playing a bunch and see which ones the best.

Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster Electric Guitar:
Probably the best but its a lot of money and doesn't have a maple fretboard

Or could i get a fully loaded '62 reissue body or just teh body and getting all new electronics and slap a good neck on it, like something from the '57 reissues. I just don't know if doing this would be worth it.

If you need to know the strat will be for funky/jazzy type stuff with some RHCP overdriven style tones. The amp I'm getting for it will be either a fender blues Jr.,Hot Rod Deluxe, or a peavey classic 30.

So this is my dilemma and hopefully you guys can help me out.
Member of: The anti-zombie alliance
Just get the Highway One and replace the pickups if you don't like it. Quit being a MIA snob though. While there is a better feel on MIA's, I personally don't think it justifies the price. Give some MIM's a look before casting them off.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
If you want value, a Highway One with a pickup change would be your best bet, plus you could get a more expensive amp if you wanted

I also like the Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster and just the American Strat

But you can get pre-wired pickguards, so a pickup change is easy.

Just a suggestion though
Both are great, John Frusciante uses an original 62 Strat, so the 62 reissue should be kinda close, and Higway Ones are amazing, so It really doesn't matter.

I Guess I'll say Highway One because they are great all-around guitars, American made, plus you can get that Maple neck you want.

Oh and 3-Tone Sunburst is FTW
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
I suggest a Partscaster. Get a body from Guitar Mill (NITRO!) and a neck either from there or maybe All Parts if you don't want to get into too much detail. Hardware from All Parts as well and pick-ups from www.rockmonkeyguitars.com He's CorduroyEW here on UG, just tell him what you want.
do u think a frankenstrat would be my best bet? Its sort of like a custom guitar but also it will hella expensive with shipping and all that jazz. I'm not looking to spend a ridiculous amount of money
Quote by necrosis1193
Just get the Highway One and replace the pickups if you don't like it. Quit being a MIA snob though. While there is a better feel on MIA's, I personally don't think it justifies the price. Give some MIM's a look before casting them off.

TOTALLY agree. Thank you, Necrosis.

I just got a Fender Classic Player 60's Strat, and it is INCREDIBLE. I personally don't like the new American Strats. They sound too muddy, and just aren't as good as some of the higher-end Mexican Strats, like the Classic Players. My Strat is REALLY versatile, I can get some amazing Eric Johnson tones out of it, while it exceeds in getting that SRV/John Mayer kind of twangy tone that you can only really get out of a Strat.

Give 'em a chance. Try a couple out in your local music store. It's worth it!
Fender 60s player strat is nice. How low can you get the action on your before the frets buzz to much.
Quote by stujomo
Fender 60s player strat is nice. How low can you get the action on your before the frets buzz to much.

Pretty low...I haven't really messed with it that much yet, but when I do I'll let you know.
Well when i played a few MIM's they just didn't compare to the MIA, so that's what i am basing this off of. And also the Nitro finish is an absolute must.
I think if you buy smart, you could manage to build a Strat for under $1000, nitro body and all.
I love my Highway One, it's the HSS model though. Nitro finish FTW
And like the others said, if you don't like the stock pickups swap them out for something else.

Quote by Iceman 420
I think if you buy smart, you could manage to build a Strat for under $1000, nitro body and all.

This could work too. I built my white strat from parts. I could've got an American nitro body but I was being cheap at the time. Also could have gotten a real American neck, or Warmoth. I ended up with MIM neck and body, both are great though. It also allowed me to spend more money on hardware and pickups. Ended up with Fender/Schaller locking tuners and Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot pups, all for about $830.
Last edited by chip46 at Dec 31, 2008,