new amp. i have up to 600-700ish.

my current options:

5150 combo with 2 12s. my favorite so far
JSX with 2 12s.
bugera 6262 with 2 12s. heard bad stories about reliability.

i want to play heavier music, but want to have cleans available. combo prefered, and tube. any other amps?

Thanks in advance guys

EDIT:
also looking at mesa f30 or f50
and peavey xxx

80th best UGer
Last edited by mustangrobert13 at Dec 30, 2008,
jsx
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I played a JSX, didn't like it at all to tell you the truth. 5150 looks like it's the way to go. I've heard bad things about reliability on the Bugera as well.
Misleading title.

I made sure I got a drink before I read this thread. What a waste.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
jsx has the cleans though
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
What type of metal are we talking about here? That will help you choose also. But I am going to give you a biased opinion and say F-50. I <3 mine.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
JSX.

There are tonnes of tonal options to discover in that amp that you can't hear in 10 minutes of playing it.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by LaidBack
What type of metal are we talking about here? That will help you choose also. But I am going to give you a biased opinion and say F-50. I <3 mine.

Agreed, and nice signature lol.
Quote by jarudy
You cant really go wrong getting a mesa as long as you try it and make sure it works for you.

Not true.

A lot of people (including me) tend to think the Rectifiers sound very buzzy and have a mediocre, flubby bass. You can dial in a decent tone, but IMO, they're not worth the price tag. Even if you do pay such a high price tag, you shouldn't have to spend long hours dialing in a good tone.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by GNRjungle87
Agreed, and nice signature lol.

Thanks, I try and help the GG&A as much as I can. The sig is just a way of dealing with things quicker lol

Quote by jarudy
You cant really go wrong getting a mesa as long as you try it and make sure it works for you.

The F series is very versitile. Immaculate cleans, where if you throw an OD ontop of them you get great blues tone. The drive is great for classic/alternative rock. Once you engage the Contour you are in the metal realm, throw and OD ontop of THAT to REALLY tighten it up. I did that tonite for the first time....holy f*uckballs, that did a lot for my tone.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
thanks guys, im considering the JSX more now.
and not crazy metal, more hard rock and metallica is probably the heaviest ill ever use it for

80th best UGer
Damnn man I hate you
Almost everyone whose looking for a new amp in my/your pricerange of $600 says they could afford hte JSX
but my GC still has the jsx for 1600 and i love it
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar Ash
Bugera 333XL 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby >> Korg Pitchblack Tuner >> MXR Carbon Copy >> Boss DS-1
my buegera hasnt given me any problem
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
i like the mesa f series, but i shopping pretty much only on my local craigslist/pawn shops.

and this JSX is a crazy good deal, Mesas rarely pop up

80th best UGer
Quote by mike.h
Not true.

A lot of people (including me) tend to think the Rectifiers sound very buzzy and have a mediocre, flubby bass. You can dial in a decent tone, but IMO, they're not worth the price tag. Even if you do pay such a high price tag, you shouldn't have to spend long hours dialing in a good tone.

Hmmm - sounds like another special person forgets about the actual use of a "rectifier": swapping between a SS (silicone diode) and 1, 2, or 3 tubes, depending on the model.

The diode option gets rid of the "flubbiness" or sag with a flip of the switch, not to mention the switch for spongy , and bold.

Another reason could be the speakers, 'tho I've never used a mesa combo.
Quote by Ernie Ballz
Hmmm - sounds like another special person forgets about the actual use of a "rectifier": swapping between a SS (silicone diode) and 1, 2, or 3 tubes, depending on the model.

The diode option gets rid of the "flubbiness" or sag with a flip of the switch, not to mention the switch for spongy , and bold.

Another reason could be the speakers, 'tho I've never used a mesa combo.
The diode setting makes the lowend less flubby, but it's still there no matter what. The only way I've been able to deal with the loose bass on Rectifiers was to keep the bass dial at 10 o' clock, put EL34's in the power section, and run an od pedal up front.
In all honesty, my JSX killed a Triple Rec. in a side by side comparison.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
^... for $600?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
If you want Cleans go with the JSX.. Also the Triple might be a good option for you as well if your looking for something a little more brutal on the rhythm side of things.

Havent played a Mesa F series yet but from what I here there a great option as well..
Quote by Van Noord
The diode setting makes the lowend less flubby, but it's still there no matter what. The only way I've been able to deal with the loose bass on Rectifiers was to keep the bass dial at 10 o' clock, put EL34's in the power section, and run an od pedal up front.
In all honesty, my JSX killed a Triple Rec. in a side by side comparison.

I guess if we're talking about a combo amp, I can't speak for it.

But with the triple recto head, speaker cab is everything. The oversized Mesa cabs do indeed produce a very "flubby", loose low end

But if you stack it on top of a stilletto cab the bass is super tight.

This sounds like a patented Mesa - hater line 'tho, since everyone knows it's cool to hate on the more expensive, more widely used gear. Well, more widely used for a reason.

And for the record, a line like "In all honesty, my JSX killed a Triple Rec. in a side by side comparison.." kinda reeks of mesa-hatemanship. I'd never make a comment like this, and would instead refer people to netmusicians.org to listen to quality mp3 samples comparing amps.

Yeah, those Jsx clips are ummm... (XD) something... wow...
Quote by mike.h
Not true.

did you not notice he said AS LONG AS YOU TRY IT OUT AND MAKE SURE IT WORKS FOR YOU.

i swear some people just want to disagree all the time.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by mike.h
Not true.

This statement makes it look like you think the only amps Mesa makes are the Rectos, but almost every other amp they make is better and either less prone to flub (Stiletto) or not at all (Mark series, F series, DC, Express)
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
This statement makes it look like you think the only amps Mesa makes are the Rectos, but almost every other amp they make is better and either less prone to flub (Stiletto) or not at all (Mark series, F series, DC, Express)

I said Rectifiers for a reason. I know Mesa puts out a lot of great stuff (Stiletto, Mark series).
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Well, to be fair, some people like the Rectos, and you can get some insane sound out of it, just not nearly as good as every other amp they make So really, I suppose a correction of the post you were responding to is "You can rarely go wrong with a Mesa".
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores