Page 1 of 2
Play one.

You'll see why.

You might even like it, as long as you like your distortion to sound like angry bees having cannibalistic sex.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
I don't think they are that bad, they are no worse than any other SS amp out there. I have played many worse amps. Maybe I just have good tone, but I never found an offensive sound
the smaller ones, like 30 and below actually aren't bad at all. They're very nice practice amps. So many people hate the other ones because they think they're way overpriced. For that much money, you could get a better amp.
Quote by boreamor
Thousands upon thousands of people yelling "IcyHot"...

Quote by imdeth
She looks like she has triforces in her eyes...

Quote by Nakon14
*sigh* yet again, only on UG would somebody rush to their computer to tell the pit when their lives or property are in dire trouble.
Really, a lot of sensible people know that they're tolerable practice amps. It's the higher watt versions and stacks people are bashing usually, as you can usually get a cheap tube combo or better SS amp for the same price.
Either way, you can get better for your money, but if you like it, who cares.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Because the tone is so hollow and there are so many better amps in that price range
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by eurotrashed
I don't think they are that bad, they are no worse than any other SS amp out there. I have played many worse amps. Maybe I just have good tone, but I never found an offensive sound

No, you're just clearly deaf. Or at least have no ear for good tone. But hey, amateurs usually don't.
Quote by eurotrashed

Your not serious about saying its as good as any SS.

Listen to an Ampeg VH-140C. They are SS and Pure Sex

Plus they're better practice amps for the price. Vypyrs and Cubes spring to mind.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Dec 31, 2008,
I prefer a MG to a cube personally but I am going to get knocked for that.

I also didn't mind the cleans and effects on the MG but the "crunching" distortion is very bad.

UG Mods really have no sense of humour.....

Well it has a very sterile clean setting, which can be ok in some situations i suppose. But the distortion sounds very processed and digital which i can't stand. They have very thin tone and i actually have yet to turn one on in guitar center that actually works.
I don't really like to wear it as a hat, but that's just me.

But, they simply don't sound very good. Most people have a beef with them simply because many starters buy MGs because of the Marshall logo on it.
Quote by alex0203
Just wondering. I need to know why everybody hates them so that I'll never buy one.

I find that the guys who don't like them, have that position because they have a frame of reference, for comparison. That's my reason...
Quote by YourDad
as you like your distortion to sound like angry bees having cannibalistic sex.
That actually sounds pretty awesome.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
That actually sounds pretty awesome.

Well yes, but it really isn't what you want in a guitar tone, now is it?
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Quote by Delanoir
No, you're just clearly deaf. Or at least have no ear for good tone. But hey, amateurs usually don't.

Do you realize that amateurs are just people who play for hobby, and don't make money, not someone who sucks. So you're probably an amateur too, like most of us, unless you're gigging. Which in that case, who cares, you're an arrogant prick **** off.
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
Quote by YourDad
Well yes, but it really isn't what you want in a guitar tone, now is it?

...OR IS IT

Personally I don't think it sounds thin at all. And I haven't actually heard the distortion, so I'm fine with them for now.
Quote by Da Squiz
Do you realize that amateurs are just people who play for hobby, and don't make money, not someone who sucks. So you're probably an amateur too, like most of us, unless you're gigging. Which in that case, who cares, you're an arrogant prick **** off.

Prick? A puncture made by a needle, thorn, or the like?

See? I can be nitpickity about language too. You know what he meant; don't be an idiot.

As for MGs, my experience is limited to the higher-wattage versions, which are, as others have stated, ridiculous items.
No, I mean he's using it to put someone else down. I could careless about grammar.
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
Quote by Pac_man0123
Well it has a very sterile clean setting, which can be ok in some situations i suppose. But the distortion sounds very processed and digital which i can't stand. They have very thin tone and i actually have yet to turn one on in guitar center that actually works.

this, id describe it as very muddy od, digital distortion, very tinny sounding and thin sounding, clean channell has a really flat sound to it too, and if you turn one on that works, dont expect it to work much longer
Only because you can do so much better for that money. I've seen some youtube videos of it with decent tone though so if you try hard enough you could find something usable i guess.
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
*reported*

we have far too many of these
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'm one of those guys that bought a Marshall MG when I first started just because of the Marshall name. Now, almost 3 years later, I realize that it's not a very good amp. My friends don't really see any problem with it, but a lot of people that have posted so far have nailed some key points - the distortion is muddy and overprocessed, the clean channel is thin and wimpy, and its best use is simply a backup/practice amp.

At least now I can actually hear the difference. I plan to budget 250ish for a new amp soon.

MadTaco
"He who controls the past, controls the future. He who controls the present, controls the past." - Orwell
never gonna give you up
never gonna let you down
never gonna run around and desert you

never gonna make you cry
never gonna say goodbye
never gonna tell a lie or hurt you!
oh that wasn't half lame... \dimebagFTW/... thanks for saving me suum time ZeG..

neway, they're not that bad clean and decent mild distortion but i found the ibanez toneblaster x better for the same price. and thats just one of dozens of better amps...
but at least MGs are cheap.
Far too tinny IMO, I could probs put up with it as a practice amp, but then again, I have a cube for that, which is in the same price range and is actually a pretty decent modeller.
Why? Because playing through one, is like being smacked in the balls! Don't let the Marshall name on it fool you...it is NOT a Marshall amp by any means.
Because people are elitists.
Quote by ibrahimasood
Because most people at UG love valve amp look into the VOX ac30 amps there better for the price.

Now this is one of the most idiotic things I've ever read.

1. The AC30 is far more expensive.
2. What if the person wants to play metal?
3. If you're thinking of what I guess you are, it's AD30, not AC30. In which case, it's not even a fucking valve amp.
Last edited by Horlicks at Dec 31, 2008,
I've only ever played through a friend's MG, 45 watt version. Only thing it does over my Stagg is volume; I let my effects pedal do all the distortion, chorus etc anyway. And I got my amp for a quarter of the price. Not to say that either are good amps, the Stagg just does the job better (and on a lower price) for me.

Agreed though, MGs have poor and monotonous distortion, but not quite as bad as a Stagg...
Quote by eurotrashed

+1
I used to think MG were the worse but after playing several Rolands Cube and Micro Cube. Roland IMHO is the worse SS amp ever made and the worse I ever tried. It has the cheesiest sound and horrible effects I ever heard. The MGs are pretty bad though I have an MG 10 practice amp and the real cheap Esteban 10w amp I have sounds a boat load better. I plan on unloading mg MG10 and Fender Rumble 15 real soon I need a better bass amp the Rumble was a huge dissapointment don't know why but it sounded better in the store. I got a good deal on it and that was the only reason I bought it now I know why the guy who sold it to me was so earge to unload it just as I was when I unloaded it. People love to put down Line 6 but it's a 1000x better than a Marshall MG series amp.

You have to realize big bands run all their equipment is usually mic'd and run thru mixing boards and effects most of us couldn't touch so their sound people can fool you into thinking the amp sounds good. I used a Marshall MG100 full stack and if it wasn't for some great sound men at clubs I am sure people would be saying that amp sounded like sh*t because it did!

John
C'mon there not that bad. I have one I don't play through it alot but its a good practice amp.
Proud owner of a Les Paul
Quote by eurotrashed

SS amps can be quite amazing. Look at Randall back in the 80s and 90s. Their SS's were like tube amps. The distortion was great, even at very loud volumes, only their clean channel lacked a bit. Ampeg's VH-140C also. Those things sound just as good as any tube amp.

Do your research next time, solid states CAN infact sound as good, or better than tube amps. It's just the low-end solid states that don't, because of their cheap design.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by Delanoir

Seeing as I'm not some wanna be 16 year old metal shredder like everyone else here, and actually play music where tone is important...

I never put the gain above 5 on my old MG. You EQed it right and knew what you were doing you could get passable tones out of it.

Those that can use cheaper gear and still get tones are generally not amateurs...
How can there be so many Know-it-alls on a website that is almost completely opinion? It's o.k. to state your opinion but too many people act like opinion is fact. I bet half the people who act like tone gods on this site actually blow goats.
Page 1 of 2