So about a week ago i picked up a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe to satisfy my jazz prowess. I also love to play metal, so since then i've been in the market for a good distortion pedal.

When i say metal, i don't mean cannibal corpse or brootal to the extreme. I'm looking for something that when turned up gives me like that Protest the Hero, Between the Buried and Me, or Dillinger Escape Plan type sound, and when turned down something of a heavier rock sound.

I hate the metal zone, and after comparing the metalcore to a metal muff, that wasn't too exciting either. I liked the metal muff, but i'm worried that it might not satisfactorily cover my lower-gain stuff (i'm haven't played with it that much though, i could be wrong)

Another one i liked was the blackstar ht-distx, but with that i'm worried with possible reliability issues and hassles caused by tubes.

What do you guys think? What other pedals would you recommend?
Get the BOSS Distortion Pedal. It's orange, and it's like not always that metalish sounding.

It sounds nice and all.
Quote by poor_blue_crabs
Get the BOSS Distortion Pedal. It's orange, and it's like not always that metalish sounding.

It sounds nice and all.

Fail, its a beginners pedal it will sound like **** compared to a metal muff on lower gain. You can get an mxr or something, ive never tried them but ive heard good things.
Boss doesnt make good distortion pedals.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
i do want something that sounds metal, but i want it to be controlable, and something that can be turned down for some lower-gain stuff
Russian Big Muff, Big Muff, Tube Screamer. So many good pedals to fulfill what you need. And GREAT choice on amp! I've had mine since October and I love it!
he could use the ds-1 and it will get clean enough for what he wants, all he has to do is turn down the volume on his guitar.
Quote by CORT noob
Sex her, take the guitar, then sex her mom and have her walk in on you. Then, mom is happy, she doesn't want to be your friend anymore, and you keep the geetar. It's a win win for America!
A HRD wont get BTBAM with a pedal. You can try with a Muff, but they use Rectos man. Completely different beasts...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaGrange
Boss doesnt make good distortion pedals.

You see, when you say something like that, you're implying that it is absolute. I (as well as many others) happen to like a lot of the low end boss distortions. For certain applications, they work amazingly well.

That being said, a Boss distortion probably wouldn't be the best option at this point.

TS, Check out a Metal Muff again. The 3-band EQ is very useful, and I think if you spend some time tweaking it, you can get some nice low gain tones out of it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by benEboy2008
he could use the ds-1 and it will get clean enough for what he wants, all he has to do is turn down the volume on his guitar.

your missing the point, the DS-1 sucks tone and sounds bad compared to metal muff, tube screamers, etc.
You could try 2 tube screamers like Stevie Ray.
I havent heard the blackstar but i hear good things about tube distortion pedals.

Edit to xwearesinking: I didnt mean they make the worst, im only saying compared to others and being out of the beginner price range boss are pretty obselete. I have a DS-1 and loved it and used it, not that i have a triple xxx i cant stand it now though and it sucks tone, which will be what happens to TS.
You are right i didnt mean to generalize Boss as being terrible, just not what he needs.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Last edited by LaGrange at Dec 31, 2008,
Eh..don't get the DS-1. I got it, but it didn't satisfy my tonal needs. (and I play rock) Plus, it's not loud enough.

The Metal Muff sounds good. I haven't tried the Blackstar, but I've heard great things about it. Maybe I'll try it next time I go to guitar center.
Quote by LaidBack
A HRD wont get BTBAM with a pedal. You can try with a Muff, but they use Rectos man. Completely different beasts...

I know, but i need the portability of my hot rod and i play in a jazz combo. I'm just looking for a good tone in the neighborhood, not necessarily exact.
Well I say try everything you can. Where are you located and whats your budget?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
hmm...well, i say do some more online research. check musiciansfriend and the like, guitar center online....

then go to shops and try out what you think you might like....and stuff you might not like, just to get a feel of all of it. i have learned that extensive research before my purchase is the best thing to do.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
If you don't mind spending the cash, the Maxxon Real Tube OD/Distortion has all your options, and sounds absolutely delicious. It's my new goal in life, after hearing/using one at a freindly jam session.

For now 'tho, I simply stalk it on the gear sites, watching from afar as my credit line gets slightly bigger again with each new payday.

Seriously 'tho - I know it's a "boutique" pedal, but after hearing it thru my Triple Recto, and my friends 6505, this is a one size fits all od/distortion stomp.
the METAL MUFF, HARDWIRE TL-2, KRANK DISTORTUS MAXIMUS , DIME DISTORTION,MI AUDIO CRUNCH BOX and the JEKYLL AND HYDE are the only good distortion pedals in your budget
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
i've heard a lot about the proco rat, is that something worth looking into, or will it not produce good metal tones?
Quote by The Lemon
i've heard a lot about the proco rat, is that something worth looking into, or will it not produce good metal tones?

it could if you're in to trashy stuff (metallica etc.)
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
from my experience, your best bet is finding a good distortion that you like (like the MI Audio Crunch Box) and then running it over the drive channel of the HRD. you can get some sick nasty modern/metal tones that way,
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
If you wanna spend some extra cash you can try to find a Mesa V-Twin. I have a Hermida Mosferatu that I use through my DeVille and it gets heavy enough for me but I don't know if it's heavy enough for you.
Quote by mmolteratx
If you wanna spend some extra cash you can try to find a Mesa V-Twin. I have a Hermida Mosferatu that I use through my DeVille and it gets heavy enough for me but I don't know if it's heavy enough for you.

+1

Maybe also try out a Carl Martin Plexitone or a used Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
+1

Maybe also try out a Carl Martin Plexitone or a used Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor as well.

Yea I've heard good things about the Tube Factor. Most H&K amps that I've tried I've liked quite a bit. They can do a Mesa type of tone with some tweaking.
Quote by The Lemon

The ones they're putting out now aren't worth anything but the older ones, even from a few years ago are pretty good. I don't really think it's what you're looking for. I also forgot to mention in my other post check out AMT Electronics. They have some amp in a box pedals that simulate Mesas and 5150s. I think the California Sound or Distortion Factory is pretty much what you're looking for.
EDIT: There's even an AMT Electronics Recto pedal that might be your best bet.
Quote by mmolteratx
I also forgot to mention in my other post check out AMT Electronics.

+1, great pedals. I'd personally recommend the Du Hast although that may be a bit too intense for what you need.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I offer this advice, being experienced with Boss: Metal Zone, Metal Core, DS-1, these can safely be scratched off your list.

They just don't have the versatility, or richness that an analog distortion/boost can offer.

There's so many options here - some use preamp distortions in front of their amps to drive/push the amps natural distortion, some use pedals digital and analog, some even apply an EQ with a master slider to boost/lower gain and control distortion.

If you're going cheap, I'd also recommend checking out the Tech 21 XXL Guitar Edition - the warp control on that thing gives some neat, deep options! I often wonder if I shouldn't replace the Muff in my chain, but I like the EQ options on the Metal Muff (with top boost)

All these pedals/effects have their quirks, and it's just a matter of experimenting - trying/selling/buying/demoing etc... Whatever you have to do. It's worth it when you find the one that works for you.

But I suspect your a person who wants some truly fine control over your tone, and how a distortion can interact/blend with it. You may not be happy unless you pay the big bucks, and get a machine like the Maxxon Real Tube OD/Dist - it really is above and beyond in terms of quality, control, and manners.

I can't wait to get mine...