Ok, so you guys gave me some stuff to practice to get my picking hand up to par with my left, or atleast closer. Did what everyone said, slowed down, etc, everything's going great! In just about 6 hours of practice I've really improved. (Yes I have nothing better to do than sit around and play guitar 4-8 hours a day. Poor me .)

I'm doing three-note-per-string runs (scales and other noodles I come up with to get me out of box playing).

But I noticed when I got to a certain speed I had to start using my wrist to pick, not the thumb motion. Then, faster yet, I used my elbow. So I was like "Okay I know this is normal but I wanna check if I could be doing something better/more efficient." Then I remember seeing a video of Rusty Cooley doing some crazy picking. So I look it up, found it here, and he seems to be combining wrist/elbow picking. I started doing this a bit and I'm not kidding, once I got the hang of it my picking hand speed started going off the charts (or atleast, well past my goal for the day )

But I wanted to know, is this "proper technique"? Or is it equivalent to anchoring or other misc things that will come back to haunt you down the road?

Please thanks to any/all who help

And don't diss rusty, the video I posted is a terrible representation of how he actually plays.
Well keep in mind they say "Mostly wrist" and "Not your arm". It doesn't mean to completely lock your shoulder and elbow and only move your wrist. Trick is to be relaxed and realize that your precision comes from your wrist. I move my arm move when I'm doing big strumming on my acoustic. Usually that happens when I get really into it and stuff.
It comes alot from wrist.
I got a challenge for you.
ONLY uppick, and see how terrible it sounds compared to your downpicking.
Then make it better / faster.
Go back to practicing alternate and see how much you improved.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Yes, from your description, you're doing the right thing. Most of your motion should be from the wrist, but you need to keep the elbow relaxed and use it for crossing strings and such.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Ok thanks guys. I kinda figured if Rusty was doing it, it's probably correct technique. And I'm not moving my arm very much at all, just enough to speed things up, and I still have control over things like string skipping/etc without hitting all the other strings.

Quote by LaGrange
It comes alot from wrist.
I got a challenge for you.
ONLY uppick, and see how terrible it sounds compared to your downpicking.
Then make it better / faster.
Go back to practicing alternate and see how much you improved.

Did you get that exercise from Paul Gilbert too I love that one. Really made me realize my up picking ability was holding me back.

I got a challenge for you

Up pick One by metallica No that would be some godly picking skills!
Well, if you think that you should ignore the motion in your arm, you're wrong. You should try to have VERY small motions in your arm. It's not terrible to use your arm, but make sure you're using very small movements with it, or you may just end up with big movements when you try to speed up. That could be very crippling to your speed/playing.
Oh yeah, needed to add (Above poster brought it up for me), that what you DONT want to do is lock your wrist and fingers.
Here's a post I made the other day on the subject

Secondly, before when i anchored my wrist just behind the bridge, i mainly just used my wrist to pick. With the non-anchoring method ive got two ways that i end up playing. One way is to move my whole arm (below the elbow) to pick. If i do it this way i find it hard sometimes to tremelo pick on one string. The other way is to only move my arm to position the pick over the string, and then i use a wrist movement to actually pick the string. I prefer this but it takes more concentration. I hope i explained that properly. How should i pick the string when not anchoring?

The second method is ideal. Imagine a painter on a crane - you wouldn't expect the crain to do the fine work while the painter stands still, nor would you expect the crane to sit and the bottom and the painter to stretch and jump - the fine work is wrist, the large obvious motions are elbow.

Does that make sense to you?