Hello, Im considering uses linux instead of windows. In what ways is it different then other operating systems and what advantages does it have. All I really know about it is that its users swear by it

EDIT: The programs Ill mainly be using are AIM, firefox, utorrent, and itunes
Last edited by yingyangthang at Dec 30, 2008,
Linux = total control over your computer. Windows = computer's total control over you.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
it's more stable and a bit more secure, the trade off is that depending on what you want to do with it the available software options can be pretty lacking.

Quote by darkstar2466
Linux = total control over your computer. Windows = computer's total control over you.

you realize that for a lot of users, that's not necessarily a good thing.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
you realize that for a lot of users, that's not necessarily a good thing.

For programmers, it's a blessing. For the average user who can't write device drivers or do much more than double click, it's a curse.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
from what I understand, it's really hard ot get iTunes to work right on Linux due to DRM crap, so if you have an iPod (or a lot of DRM protected mp3s) you probably want to set up a dual boot with windows for that.

Quote by darkstar2466
For programmers, it's a blessing. For the average user who can't write device drivers or do much more than double click, it's a curse.

exactly.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by darkstar2466

My dad loves it because he is a 1337 programmer, I dislike it because I'm not good with computers. I will say this; over my 10 years of using linux I have never experienced a virus, had my computer fail on me, or given money to a corrupt monopolizing company.
Firefly > You

Trumpet Alliance
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
from what I understand, it's really hard ot get iTunes to work right on Linux due to DRM crap, so if you have an iPod (or a lot of DRM protected mp3s) you probably want to set up a dual boot with windows for that.

exactly.

just do this
Happy Ubuntu user for over a year here. I've wiped Vista off two different laptops and put Ubuntu on both. They are much faster. My next laptop will be a System76 ( http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=87 ) I do have XP in VirtualBox but I rarely open it. Why should I? I've not ran anti-virus software on either one and I've yet to get a virus. Dependable/fast is good, free and dependable/fast is even better. Oh, Compiz Fusion is the best eye candy special effects, bar none. It comes with every Ubuntu distro. If you've never seen it, look it up on YouTube.
its good
utorrent is a waste of ur internet..but there are linux torrent progs.
itunes..dual boot with windows...easier that way, running under wine is useless with drm.
firefox is bundled with ubuntu
aim, well you get pidgin...

enjoy..
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Quote by n2dabloo
Happy Ubuntu user for over a year here. I've wiped Vista off two different laptops and put Ubuntu on both. They are much faster. My next laptop will be a System76 ( http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=87 ) I do have XP in VirtualBox but I rarely open it. Why should I? I've not ran anti-virus software on either one and I've yet to get a virus. Dependable/fast is good, free and dependable/fast is even better. Oh, Compiz Fusion is the best eye candy special effects, bar none. It comes with every Ubuntu distro. If you've never seen it, look it up on YouTube.

hmm clicked link

Price: $1,949.00

for a mediocre processor
2 gigs of ram
a free operating system
a graphics card (which cant do gaming since most popular games dont mix well with linux)
and a 160 gig byte harddrive????

what am i missing please help me i am not trying to be mean i was just wondering how it seems my 600 gateway laptop has much better specs.

As for my opinion on linux...

It's neat and all but if you have a fast enough computer I find vista to be an all together smoother experience. I am in school for programming and find myself quite comfortable with computers but everything in linux is a battle... People claim ubuntu has better eyecandy then vista, but right now i find my windows background to be quite awesome(thanks in large part to objectdock), the one thing I do like about ubuntu is the cubed desktop. It great when you are multitasking
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
Last edited by dannyniceboy at Dec 31, 2008,
I wanna get a tiny ass laptop that runs on Linux, it only goes for like $300, and you can browse the web on it fast, Linux would be much quicker than Windows, Vista would hog the ram in no time. I say Linux is good for simple stuff and browsing, and Windows is primary for PC gamers without a doubt.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
^^ not the mini ones...
yes may have linux, but so bogged down and limited memory.. does suck a bit.
esp. the acer aspire one..
put XP on it. loads better
Quote by dannyniceboy
hmm clicked link

Price: $1,949.00

for a mediocre processor
2 gigs of ram
a free operating system
a graphics card (which cant do gaming since most popular games dont mix well with linux)
and a 160 gig byte harddrive????

what am i missing please help me i am not trying to be mean i was just wondering how it seems my 600 gateway laptop has much better specs.

1949 for a PC?!?!?! or even laptop..buy a friggin dual core from ebuyer in the uk for under £400..
sure you get better deals elsewhere too...

just clicked link...RIP OFF!!!
amazing rip off...
Quote by fairycake92
^^ not the mini ones...
yes may have linux, but so bogged down and limited memory.. does suck a bit.
esp. the acer aspire one..
put XP on it. loads better

I'm not even gonna use any hard drive space afterwords.. that amount of RAM is perfectly fine to just run on a linux web browser... It wont lag up much, it performs decent, claims most owners.

Quote by angus_young_32

UG Hatecrew FTW
lol i claim otherwise..
limited memory i mean ram..
as long as its not an acer aspire..you are ok..its linux is...far from happy..
Quote by fairycake92
lol i claim otherwise..
limited memory i mean ram..
as long as its not an acer aspire..you are ok..its linux is...far from happy..

Ah I'm not the biggest Acer fan either, lol. Unless it's one of the big pretty monitors .

Quote by angus_young_32

UG Hatecrew FTW
good man, the medion akoya is very nice, msi wind copy and copes with XP as standard and Linux is doable very well
Quote by dannyniceboy
hmm clicked link
As for my opinion on linux...
It's neat and all but if you have a fast enough computer I find vista to be an all together smoother experience. I am in school for programming and find myself quite comfortable with computers but everything in linux is a battle... People claim ubuntu has better eyecandy then vista, but right now i find my windows background to be quite awesome(thanks in large part to objectdock), the one thing I do like about ubuntu is the cubed desktop. It great when you are multitasking

Just curious, can you list the specs on that Gateway? I looked up Objectdock, that's cool that Windows has something like that available, and free. Ubuntu has Avant Window Navigator that does the same thing, or, if you prefer, Cairo-dock. The cubed desktop is just the tip of the iceberg so to speak on Compiz. There are many more effects. Also, you can always dual-boot and keep your windows strictly for gaming and use linux for your risk free web-surfing. I like OpenOffice too. It is very similar to Excel/Word/Powerpoint and so far, I can read any document on my linux machine that was made with those programs.
Quote by n2dabloo
Just curious, can you list the specs on that Gateway? I looked up Objectdock, that's cool that Windows has something like that available, and free. Ubuntu has Avant Window Navigator that does the same thing, or, if you prefer, Cairo-dock. The cubed desktop is just the tip of the iceberg so to speak on Compiz. There are many more effects. Also, you can always dual-boot and keep your windows strictly for gaming and use linux for your risk free web-surfing. I like OpenOffice too. It is very similar to Excel/Word/Powerpoint and so far, I can read any document on my linux machine that was made with those programs.

its got a core2duo 2.0
4 gig memory
dvd/cd rewriter
wireless
bluetooth
webcam
(the graphics card is ****ty but i only play games on my ps3)

i am not saying its the best computer but it was only a third of what he wants to pay for that one....
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
I've got Debain on my 400mhz fileserver, its the shiz

ran Debian for a year and Gentoo for a year on my mainbox...then I got tired of not having Photoshop

Windows XP has been pretty damn solid since SP2
I have windows on my computer but on the family laptop downstairs it's Linux which is awesome and frozen bubble is the best game everrrrrrrr lol.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Every Linux media player I've come across has Ipod support as standard.

Anyhoo I love Ubuntu. I use it as my standard OS for day to day use, and gaming is but a 30-60 second reboot away, and that's just for games that are too fiddly or new to run under Wine.