Page 1 of 4
Any success stories here? It's a pretty cool feeling to expose people to metal and hear their reactions when they have never heard anything like it. Happen to any of you guys?

One of my friend's has never been much into music his entire life, but he said he had heard some Metallica on the radio and he liked it... so about 3 months ago I sent him ...And Justice For All and MOP and he really liked it. I was surprised, so I send him some Megadeth and Slayer to see how he liked those. As the vocals grew on him, he really liked it. I send him some Bodom and he thought it was cool as ****. I continued to send heavier stuff and he just liked it all more and more. I just finished showing him most of Arsis and Opeth's library of tunes and he nearly **** himself.

He's converted.
Got two younger brothers into Blind Guardian, the older of which also loves Equilibrium and Eluveitie. One of my friends also loves BG now thanks to my ringback tone haha and I got another into Alcest and Agalloch. Oh, and a few scene kids into SYL.
Got my girl Alex in Nevermore, Meshuggah, Between the Buried and Me, Mirrorthrone, Ne Obliviscaris, Empyrean, Ihsahn, Opeth, Strapping Young Lad, Devin Townsend, Carcass and Thy Art is Murder.

Not bad aye.
Quote by metal Lover
As I've stated numerous times, I force my mom to listen to early Bathory.

My mom likes Bodom.
I just got my dad into DT. It's been a longtime feud, but I told him to relax the **** out and enjoy the music and he's starting to understand it. He used to say progressive music was random riffs aimlessly glued together with lame licks. But now he bought me Score last week and we just watched it today. Awesome stuff.

Now, I admit I'm not into DT as much as I was a year ago, but their live performance is still impeccable if you like progressive music, are fine with musicians standing in their respective places (except for LaBrie), and as well happen to find LaBrie on one of his stellar days.

This is a little off topic, but I have a love/hate relationship with LaBrie. I used to hate his guts, then I thought he fit DT and was ok, then I loved him, then fairly recently I got bored of his voice and it started to irritate me, then I saw Chaos in Motion and lost all hope for him, and now I watched Score and I am starting to appreciate his peculiar way of poking his tongue out and operatically expressing emotions much like a chick with a pierced tongue would. Just had to get that out.

Well, in short - I am starting to get my dad to enjoy metal. And he's certainly aware now that Metallica aren't gods of metal. He still thinks Unforgiven/Nothing Else Matters are amazing, but I think after a night of Octavarium, his mind is changed. Not once did he say "this is boring", which is a huge step up from when I showed him Stream of Consciousness on Live at Budokan.

And that's about it.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Gordita Supreme
My mom likes Bodom.

My mom tied up with a gun to her head listening to Bathory> Your mom casually listening to Bodom
Oh...I let my 12 year old cousin sit on my couch while I played The Aurora Veil in its entirety.

She didn't say anything.

I'll take the benefit of the doubt and assume she liked it.............

..........even though she was clearly indifferent to it and went back to singing her casual Justin Timberlake.
I've found Jesus
i've gotten countless people into maiden. i introduced all the members of my band except for our singer to amon amarth, hammerfall, sonata arctica, nightwish, and many more bands. They weren't even really into metal before I joined the band, just metallica and avenged sevenfold. (they still all like A7X, which sucks. But ah, oh well, they also love Amon Amarth.)
I somehow got an ex-girlfriend into metal. At first I thought she was faking it to impress me because she had barely heard metal throughout her life and one of the first bands she heard from me was Beheaded, which she liked. She ended up listening to all kinds of metal and still loves stuff like Kalmah and Opeth.
Quote by guitar?

BTW do not say n-i-g-g-e-r. I know some one who said lets go buy some snickers and some black guy punched him in the face.
pretty much the only way to get people to listen to metal is the expose em to Melodeath or some form of 'pop' metal. Pretty much the way i did it.

Korn-->Arch Enemy-->CoB-->METAL UNIVERSE

Edit: or Opeth (for exposing teh wiminz to metal )
Last edited by Pernell at Dec 31, 2008,
I got my friend really into metal by letting him borrow my CDs, and I'm constantly showing him new stuff to check out.

I showed another friend, and he loves Amon Amarth and Tyr, as well as many viking/folk bands, but he's lost interest in pretty much every other aspect of metal.
We all got my friend Bobby into FFDP, and he even went to a show with us, and our other friend Donovan, who are rap kids. Not a lot of other people, but I try to show everyone some stuff.
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
I don't really try to force large amounts of metal into people's throats right at the start. If I see a friend has interest in learning about metal (god, it is hard to find someone who doesn't think metal is "just noise/screaming into a microphone) I will show them some of the "essential" bands, and tell them to stay away from the metalcore bands, as they are not tr00, and let them work their way up to extreme metal.
I've never really gotten anyone into metal, but my friend was the one who introduced me to it all really. It all started with Gwar...
I got an As I Lay Dying fan into Dying Fetus.

Anyways, I find that a lot of thrash metal fans seem to have something against death metal, which is kind of weird considering a lot of early dm could easily be written off as thrash.
My biggest accomplishment in terms of getting friends into Metal was getting all of my friends into Amorphis. It was random as hell: Me, sitting in my room, playing Oblivion, they all walk in and go "OMG d00d wat r u lsnn 2 LOLZ it soundz kool!!!1" And I'm all "Amorphis, bitches." And they're all like "man dis is sum gruvy stuf ur taste isnt dat bad LOLOO!!!11one" Obviously I was listening to their later material, and obviously none of them listen to anything that's not progressive Amorphis, but they do enjoy the acoustic reprise of My Kantele a lot.

My life is so fulfilling.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
No but im in the progress learning my little brother (9 months) too listen to metal. Gotta start early.
Showed my brother Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning & Master. He now plays bass, hows that for converted?
i find it hard at times, but my friends that have a respect music generally end up liking metallica, opeth and the likes.

I always get my friends that like a bit of Metallica, Pantera but not much into Folk Metal and Black Metal. Show them the most radio friendly tracks, they like em, and theyre hooked!
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Ug's Drunken Irishman prevails over existence once again +All UG'S Point to you my drunken irish friend.

Black/Folk Metal
Quote by dminishedthingy
Got two younger brothers into Blind Guardian, the older of which also loves Equilibrium and Eluveitie. One of my friends also loves BG now thanks to my ringback tone haha and I got another into Alcest and Agalloch. Oh, and a few scene kids into SYL.

Wait, aren't you like 12 yourself?
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
no, i never play metal infront of anyone, unless they're in my car
we don't need more douchebags listening to metal
My sig is better than yours
I've turned a few people onto more metal, when Metallica was as far as they'd gone.

Got on of em into power metal, one into death metal, and the other into everything.

My brother has been a success story too actually. And my mum likes Ring of Gold by Bathory.

I don't really bother trying though.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
My college has a huge art section and a film school, and the whole place itself is one of those big friendly, crazy liberal places so loads of people love metal here.

Ya know what I mean.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

My mate likes Lord of the Rings and he enjoys listening to the soundtrack for the movies and he listens to Madness (Ska Rock) so through time i'm slowly converting him to Rhapsody of Fire (Melodic power and it is a sort of soft metal) so far it's a success so now i'm trying some classic Sabbath which is only just going ok..... so what else should I try?
E-adopted by Andrea55

Quote by RubberPuppiessu
sucks to be you

Quote by metal4eva_22
you fail on so many levels it's funny

Formspring

[Insert statement here]
Oh and i sort of converted my Guitar teacher, right? he still likes his Celtic rock sort of stuff but since i like AC/DC we've been practising that so far i'm learning it easily, but my point is the more we play it and practise it the more he likes AC/DC and he's got a good pitched voice to sing like Brian Johnson and can also sing like Corey Taylor (not that he enjoys singing like that)
i got about 6 of my friends into death metal, and off trivium
opeth is the key to getting someone into death, just start off with their light stuff and go from there. melodic death is also a good way

i got most of them to stop being ignorant assholes about rap and hip-hop too

Quote by Metallica_AC/DC
My mate likes Lord of the Rings and he enjoys listening to the soundtrack for the movies and he listens to Madness (Ska Rock) so through time i'm slowly converting him to Rhapsody of Fire (Melodic power and it is a sort of soft metal) so far it's a success so now i'm trying some classic Sabbath which is only just going ok..... so what else should I try?

well if he likes LOTR soundtracks try showing him some folk metal like equilibrium or ensiferum, or some symphonic metal
Last edited by phili666 at Dec 31, 2008,
Quote by Phill-Rock
My college has a huge art section and a film school, and the whole place itself is one of those big friendly, crazy liberal places so loads of people love metal here.

Ya know what I mean.

So basically, you study at ANUS.com?
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by dead-fish
So basically, you study at ANUS.com?

Better than your life at least.

Swish.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Quote by Phill-Rock
Better than your life at least.

Swish.

My cigarettes are cheap, and I drink for free.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by dead-fish
My cigarettes are cheap, and I drink for free.

My dad has been buying me cigarettes without me asking, my friend got me some from his holidays, and I was just given 5 bottles of whiskey and a crate of beer.

After they're gone, I'll give ya the touché. I'm not as uncompromising as some people.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

I only throw on metal at parties when Im stubborn drunk and really want to hear it, and it pisses everyone off, great laugh so it is.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
^We've all been there.

I guarantee I do it tonight at some point.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Quote by Metallica_AC/DC

if he likes LOTR show him Blind Guardian, dummy
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Both of my parents are complete metalheads, but unfortunately my sister likes cheesy pop crap. DAMNIT, WHY COULDN'T U PASS MUSIC GENES TO HER?!
Cause it's not genetic to like metal, and cause pop music can be amazingly good.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Page 1 of 4