In the Unintended Chords tab, in the outro theres an Amsus9 chord, and i don't know the fingering for it. Anyone have spme insight?
think about it, it's an A minor, you know what that looks like right?
now sus-9 just means that it has a 9 (or 2) in it. which is a B.
so stick a B in there somewhere where it sounds good
(can't do the open because then it's not minor)
Quote by qstionauthority
think about it, it's an A minor, you know what that looks like right?
now sus-9 just means that it has a 9 (or 2) in it. which is a B.
so stick a B in there somewhere where it sounds good
(can't do the open because then it's not minor)

The 9th replaces the 3rd. Don't listen to this guy, TS. Sus always means to replace the 3rd, regardless of major or minor. If someone just wanted you to add a 9, the chord would be Am9.

Play it like this:

open 0
open 0
pointer 2
middle 2
open 0
muted X

Or like this:

muted X
muted X
pointer 4
pinky 7
ring 7
muted X

I tried
Current Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson Explorer Standard
Tradition Strat
Crafter Acoustic

Peavey Classic 30
Line 6 DL4
Dano Fish 'n Chips
MXR Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MD-2 Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
Last edited by deleriumtrigger at Dec 31, 2008,
Quote by deleriumtrigger
The 9th replaces the 3rd. Don't listen to this guy, TS. Sus always means to replace the 3rd, regardless of major or minor. If someone just wanted you to add a 9, the chord would be Am9.

Play it like this:

open 0
open 0
pointer 2
middle 2
open 0
muted X

Or like this:

muted X
muted X
pointer 4
pinky 7
ring 7
muted X

I tried

Quote by Wikipedia

A suspended chord is a chord in which the third is replaced or accompanied by either a perfect fourth (play (help·info)) or a major second (play (help·info)), although the fourth is far more common.

how are you supposed to get a minor chord without a third?
Quote by qstionauthority
how are you supposed to get a minor chord without a third?
Could very easily be implied by the rest of the song. I mean I definitely wouldn't be getting an A major tonality out of Dm7b5 E7 Asus9.

Although I will say that having "m" and "sus" together is a bit odd. IMO listen to the song and see if the C is in there.
^^How are you supposed to get a sus chord WITH a third?

I'd probably go with x02200 or something like xxx455 or xx4455 but I've never heard the song.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

e|-7--(pinky
B|-5--
G|-5--
D|-7--(3rd
A|-7--(2nd
E|-5--

it's technically just a m9, but whatever. according to wikipedia, it counts as a msus9. very dissonant chord by the way. i like it
You quoted wikipedia. In the entry for "Chord (Music)" and under the subtitle "Suspended Chords" it clearly contradics the entry for "Suspended Chords." Wikipedia is terrible. The 3rd shouldn't be there.
Current Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson Explorer Standard
Tradition Strat
Crafter Acoustic

Peavey Classic 30
Line 6 DL4
Dano Fish 'n Chips
MXR Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MD-2 Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
haha i'm stupid. why did i quote wikipedia when i got the "pocket manuel of musical terms" for christmas?

yeah it says here:
Quote by my pocket manuel of musical terms 5th edition

SUSPENSION:
a dissonance caused by suspending (holding back) a tone or tones of a chord while the other tones progress.

so it's either a m9 or just a sus9. the minor might be implied, but if you isolate the chord, you can't really imply voicing..

OR maybe we're suspending the 5th and moving it to 4th? can you do that?
Quote by qstionauthority
haha i'm stupid. why did i quote wikipedia when i got the "pocket manuel of musical terms" for christmas?

yeah it says here:

so it's either a m9 or just a sus9. the minor might be implied, but if you isolate the chord, you can't really imply voicing..

OR maybe we're suspending the 5th and moving it to 4th? can you do that?

Lol, a musical SUSPENSION is much different than creating a suspended chord. Please stop, you are confusing the guy and you don't know what you are talking about.
Current Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson Explorer Standard
Tradition Strat
Crafter Acoustic

Peavey Classic 30
Line 6 DL4
Dano Fish 'n Chips
MXR Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MD-2 Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by deleriumtrigger
Lol, a musical SUSPENSION is much different than creating a suspended chord. Please stop, you are confusing the guy and you don't know what you are talking about.
That said, suspended chords are quite obviously based on the concept of suspension. It's simply more specific in the sense that it is defined as the replacement of the third. No need to be so abrasive.
i'm pretty sure the same concept applies to suspended chords. Make sense doesn't it? We're taking away a tone and moving it somewhere else...
How else do you create a minor suspended chord without just implying it's minor?
Quote by qstionauthority
i'm pretty sure the same concept applies to suspended chords. Make sense doesn't it? We're taking away a tone and moving it somewhere else...
How else do you create a minor suspended chord without just implying it's minor?

No, a SUSPENSION happens over a period of musical movement. Isn't it obvious that Amsus9 is a mistake in the tab?
Current Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson Explorer Standard
Tradition Strat
Crafter Acoustic

Peavey Classic 30
Line 6 DL4
Dano Fish 'n Chips
MXR Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MD-2 Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
yeah, i never said that a suspended chord is a SUSPENSION; that doesn't make sense.
i just have a hard time thinking suspended chords have no relation to suspension..
Odds are it is a mistake and the tabber meant a m9, but if the TS wants to get really technical, is he allowed to suspend the 5th and add the 9? According to the manuel, there isn't a rule against that.
Quote by qstionauthority
yeah, i never said that a suspended chord is a SUSPENSION; that doesn't make sense.
i just have a hard time thinking suspended chords have no relation to suspension..
Odds are it is a mistake and the tabber meant a m9, but if the TS wants to get really technical, is he allowed to suspend the 5th and add the 9? According to the manuel, there isn't a rule against that.

Most complex chords like that don't include the 5th. The 5th makes is sound too heavy in most cases. And "rules"? Lol
Current Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson Explorer Standard
Tradition Strat
Crafter Acoustic

Peavey Classic 30
Line 6 DL4
Dano Fish 'n Chips
MXR Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MD-2 Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by qstionauthority
exactly! no 5th! so:

e|-7-(pinky
B|---
G|-5-(first
D|-7-(third
A|---
E|-5-(thumb

cool chord.
The fifth is still in the chord. Though a suspended chord is generally based on the concept of suspension, a suspended chord rerplaces the third. What he meant about the fifth is that sometimes you just can't play every note in a chord. Any 13th chord has seven notes in it, which presents a challenge for the guitarist armed with four fingers and six strings. Usually the fifth is the first to go because it is the least "important" to the tonality, at least if it isnt altered. So the fifth is still part of the chord, but for practical reasons or preference it is commonly omitted.